Switch to Gas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intheair

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find out how to switch to a Gas program.
I am currently a categorical Gen Surg intern. I want to switch to Anesthesia. Anyone know the process. Where do I apply? I guess I need to find out which programs have spots open in july 06 to start as CA-1? Please help. If you have switched I request your assistance. You can PM me also if you want.

Members don't see this ad.

Since I am switching from Gen Surgery to Anesthesia would i have to apply through ERAS again or should I contact programs first and talk to them first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Intheair said:
Since I am switching from Gen Surgery to Anesthesia would i have to apply through ERAS again or should I contact programs first and talk to them first.

you'll want to do both. i've heard that gas spots are getting tighter. make some calls, but plan on doing the ERAS thing anyway. unless of course you find a sweet deal right away, then jump on it.

I assume that bc you have done a year (or more) of Surgery that you would prefer current CA-1 positions that are available. I found these few and far between. You might be offered a CA-1 position, but it will be 2 years in advance which stinks. I switched from Surgery to Gas and found that moving directly into a CA-1 position very difficult. There were only about 3 places with openings and they had lots of applicants (U.S. and abroad) - very competitive. My advice: apply through the Match, and look for programs that will offer you a spot for July 2006 at the CA-1 level. You will find it easier this way. Do not wait until AFTER the Match because very little be available to you! You'll then be competing with 100:1 per position vs. the probably 8:1 per position during the Match cycle. Good luck. Guess you saw the beckoning light of the laryngoscope too!

If you folks have time, would you mind stating why you switched from surgery (general?) to anesthesiology? Thanks.

In answering your question...
General Surgery was FUN in med school. The attendings let you do things in the OR (bovie, laser) if they knew you were interested, the residents let you do cool stuff on the floors/ICU (line placement), little to no clinic duties, no "REAL" responsibility/liability (besides Honors vs. Pass). However, its true that 4th year med students are the top of the totem pole until you reach like your 4th or 5th year in Gen Surgery residency. You are the lowest of the low as an intern and 2nd year. Reasons why I switched: q3 or whohoo q4 call, You get all the late night calls from nurses asking you to update a family on a crosscover patient that you dont know at 11pm, you get more calls from the nurses about 2am to see whether to give the Tylenol you ordered prn for a temperature that is 37.9 instead of 38C, you get more calls from the lazy ER doc (no knock on ER docs who really rock, just my personal experience) at about 3am to come "SEE" the patient with a bellyache for whom no radiographs, labs, or even vitals have been done before he calls you--it just LOOKED surgical, during your 2nd year its more of the same, during your 3rd year-you order around the 1st and 2nd years but still have to check behind them for everything bc if they make a mistake its always (but it was just his/her 1st year and you've been here... you shouldve forseen it... like the great fortune teller I'm trained to be), you do long clinic hours, you don't make near the amount of money you should for constant rectal exams everytime you see a patient (no matter what), you don't make near the amount of money for that 5 hour surgery that took 1.5 days to work up/2 days to resuscitate/ and will take about 10 days of hospital notes-late nite phone calls-etc/ and visits to your clinic 3 times a month/ and possibly 3 am ER visits just because they couldnt wait til morning for that sore back/and follow up over the next year because it never felt quite right after the surgery, you don't make near the money you should get to do a 3 vessel CABG which actually cost you an additional 2 years onto that 5 year residency program, your attendings constantly complain about how long they have to stay at work/how they hate having to chase after patients to get paid/how they are underpaid for what they do/ how most of them are divorced at least once/ how truly unhappy they seem deep down and you don't want to be like them after sacrificing 5 years to sit beside them and join in their complaining. Also, to look over the blue sheets at the anesthesiologist sitting comfortably in the chair as my feet/shoulders/neck/hips ached after a 4.5 hr surgery really irked me. Actually they were CRNAs, the anesthesiologists were all outside the OR front... drinking coffee, eating pastries, and talking trash. They seemed to be happy and talked openly about their families. I did realize that a lot MORE goes on behind the curtain, but it was SO worth it to make that switch even if I had to dust off my Pharmacology and Physiology texts. Don't get me wrong, there are rotten apples in every bunch, but anesthesiologists are typically very intelligent, efficient, friendly, and my type of person in general. I was compelled to switch from General Surgery to Anesthesiology because of these reasons among many others. Hope this helps you out a little.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such an in-depth explanation. It does help me, quite a bit. In a year from now I'll have to make the decision whether to pursue general surgery or anesthesiology. Every little bit of input helps, especially from someone whose been there and done that. Thanks again.

Good luck with your hunting. We had two people switch over from surgery in our CA-1 class last year and it seems like the PD will let some more folks in the next class. Just call everywhere (even places you wouldn't consider) and you will be surprised. Oh, BTW, those two people in my class are very happy. Just don't give up. Sorry couldn't be of more help, but I would listen to the dude who switched.

LRingers said:
In answering your question...
General Surgery was FUN in med school. The attendings let you do things in the OR (bovie, laser) if they knew you were interested, the residents let you do cool stuff on the floors/ICU (line placement), little to no clinic duties, no "REAL" responsibility/liability (besides Honors vs. Pass). However, its true that 4th year med students are the top of the totem pole until you reach like your 4th or 5th year in Gen Surgery residency. You are the lowest of the low as an intern and 2nd year. Reasons why I switched: q3 or whohoo q4 call, You get all the late night calls from nurses asking you to update a family on a crosscover patient that you dont know at 11pm, you get more calls from the nurses about 2am to see whether to give the Tylenol you ordered prn for a temperature that is 37.9 instead of 38C, you get more calls from the lazy ER doc (no knock on ER docs who really rock, just my personal experience) at about 3am to come "SEE" the patient with a bellyache for whom no radiographs, labs, or even vitals have been done before he calls you--it just LOOKED surgical, during your 2nd year its more of the same, during your 3rd year-you order around the 1st and 2nd years but still have to check behind them for everything bc if they make a mistake its always (but it was just his/her 1st year and you've been here... you shouldve forseen it... like the great fortune teller I'm trained to be), you do long clinic hours, you don't make near the amount of money you should for constant rectal exams everytime you see a patient (no matter what), you don't make near the amount of money for that 5 hour surgery that took 1.5 days to work up/2 days to resuscitate/ and will take about 10 days of hospital notes-late nite phone calls-etc/ and visits to your clinic 3 times a month/ and possibly 3 am ER visits just because they couldnt wait til morning for that sore back/and follow up over the next year because it never felt quite right after the surgery, you don't make near the money you should get to do a 3 vessel CABG which actually cost you an additional 2 years onto that 5 year residency program, your attendings constantly complain about how long they have to stay at work/how they hate having to chase after patients to get paid/how they are underpaid for what they do/ how most of them are divorced at least once/ how truly unhappy they seem deep down and you don't want to be like them after sacrificing 5 years to sit beside them and join in their complaining. Also, to look over the blue sheets at the anesthesiologist sitting comfortably in the chair as my feet/shoulders/neck/hips ached after a 4.5 hr surgery really irked me. Actually they were CRNAs, the anesthesiologists were all outside the OR front... drinking coffee, eating pastries, and talking trash. They seemed to be happy and talked openly about their families. I did realize that a lot MORE goes on behind the curtain, but it was SO worth it to make that switch even if I had to dust off my Pharmacology and Physiology texts. Don't get me wrong, there are rotten apples in every bunch, but anesthesiologists are typically very intelligent, efficient, friendly, and my type of person in general. I was compelled to switch from General Surgery to Anesthesiology because of these reasons among many others. Hope this helps you out a little.

I still remember your post from last year. I'm glad to see you found a new home. Welcome to the dark side. :smuggrin: