Switch to Molecular and Cellular Biology from Engineering?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blaughable

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post, so sorry in advance if I break any rules. My current situation is as follows:

I'm an engineering student in theoretical and applied mechanics (TAM). TAM requires a lot of extremely hard classes. These classes aren't just a lot of work, but they are heavy in theory, complicated equations etc. I consider it to be possibly the hardest engineering major here at the University of Illinois U-C. I'm doing poorly in my TAM classes and have now realized to get out before it's too late. I've wanted to do medicine since the beginning of sophomore year (I'm a Junior now). I thought I could continue with my TAM degree while doing pre-med. I've been doing decent in my pre-med prerequisites (3.3 GPA) but have shown considerable improvement. However my total GPA is much lower (2.99). I also found out that I only need approx. 36 hrs (2.5 semesters) to graduate in Molecular and Cellular Biology (MCB)

I understand it is not necessary to be a Biology major to be Pre-med. I understand an engineering major differentiates himself and may stand out, however I have no motivation in these rigorous engineering courses and have loved Biochem, Anatomy Physiology, Genetics, Orgo1 etc.

More about me: Hispanic, EMT certified, extensive shadowing and volunteering, on executive board of both a pre-medical hispanic organization and a hispanic engineering society. Love my MCB courses, do well in them. I am certain I want to go to medical school. It's the only thing that makes sense. When I'm in a hospital it just feels right and nothing interests me more than the human body.

I Could really use some input on this decision. Is it wise to switch to MCB? I would also like to know what are my chances of acceptance. I'm taking the MCAT this summer and hope for/expect a +35.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I understand it is not necessary to be a Biology major to be Pre-med. I understand an engineering major differentiates himself and may stand out, however I have no motivation in these rigorous engineering courses and have loved Biochem, Anatomy Physiology, Genetics, Orgo1 etc.

This alone would be reason to change your major. Any other potential justification is debatable.

I didn't even know there was a major called theoretical mechanics. Interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I do change my major to Biology (MCB), doesn't that just make me your typical Biology student with now a much below average GPA? Will the fact that I've taken engineering courses come up at the same time as if I had stuck with engineering? Do you think getting a minor in biological engineering will help that question come up more organically? Also, If I absolutely Rock the MCAT do I still have a chance at respectable schools with a 3.0GPA, solid extra curriculars, leadership, passion, and good interview? This is probably a horrible question to ask but does being Mexican help at all?

I didn't even know there was a major called theoretical mechanics. Interesting.

Yeah it's horrible, Dynamics, Intermiediate Dynamics, Continuum Mechanics, Fluid Dynamics, Computational Mechanics, Experimental Stress Analysis, Mechanics of Materials, etc.... horrible stuff

Switch your major to biology and then take a lot of upper level classes to bring up your GPA. Don't rush to graduate - take more classes (all kinds, if you run out of bio) and bring your GPA above a 3.0.

Being Mexican helps...