Switch to similar MA job where I may get research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mycelialmetaverse

Reaction score
Hello! So I currently work as an MA in a hospital setting and am being offered a job with someone who will be a sub PI for a CRO and who is simultaneously starting their own private family medicine practice. In my first interview they claimed it would be both research and MA , however in the second stated I would be hired as an MA who would get learning experience. They would hire me to mostly do the same duties for their FM practice that I have been doing for the past year but state that I would get to learn how to be a clinical research coordinator when they are doing their sub PI duties. They want to pay me the same amount as my first job because I am not certified and because I am premed and will “leave soon” for medical school (applying for fall 2023). They also said they were a CRC before medical school and that this would be great experience but they refuse to state how much time exactly would be for research (impression is when they deem their is time). This job would be full time versus my last job being part time (which I prefer). I live in an area where there are many research opportunities but also it’s been hard to get responses from these larger academic institutions

So my question(s): Should I forgo this job in hopes of an actual research job that I may or may not get? Would it be better for medical schools because the title is ig better (claims the title is FM medical and research coordinator)? Is this a lateral move in terms of experience for medical school and career? Are they taking advantage of cheap ($12 an hour no benefits ) labor since they know my career aspirations?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've been working for a year already as an MA, I do not see why you should take a new job without a pay raise that also requires you to be full-time instead of part-time. I am unsure what kind of research would materialize from this job and if so, when. The title is irrelevant if you don't have any responsibilities outside of being an MA.

Are they taking advantage of cheap ($12 an hour no benefits ) labor since they know my career aspirations?

Yes. But hey, that 3rd Mercedes ain't going to pay itself.