Switched to Pre Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MhmMhm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just switched to pre-med from pre-dent a was wondering if this in any way would be a disadvantage on my application for med school. I also have 50 hours of dental shadowing and am wondering if that is something that I should add to my application. Lastly, I am doing research but it is related to oral health and dentistry. Should I maintain this research or is all research acceptable for med schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine. People figure out what they want in college and change paths. You could probably mention it as a gateway to your interest in medicine. Keep the research. It's more health-oriented than most pre meds anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of students thing that having changed interests are a detriment, but they're often a strength. You can talk about how you've explored multiple options and figured out what you really want to do. This can be a lot more convincing than someone who can only say they've always wanted to be a doctor and never explored other alternatives seriously.

It's the same with non-traditional applicants that have worked in a different field.

The goal isn't to show that you have an unwavering interest, but that you've explored and decided between many options of where you really want to be and what you want to be doing.

Reactions: 1 user