Switched to pre-med/ GPA bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcedOchem

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m new here but I think this is a good place to get some guidance/ help because if I’m honest my counselors aren’t the best. I am currently a second year college student who just switched to pre-med. So far my current GPA is a 2.9 Bad, I know, but this far I’ve taken both bio classes, both chem classes, and physics as well, I passed all with an A. I’m in O-chem rn with a B+. The reason for my GPA being what it is, is because I was a bit misguided freshman year and spent majority of my time partying, and it wasn’t until the summer after I started to get serious. My question is: does it sound like I still have a chance for med-school or should I retake these classes to better my GPA? My counselors told me to retake them but I wanted to know if it really mattered since I do pretty well in my science courses which actually matter? If you read all of this thank you haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Only retake classes if they are pre reqs and you got less than a C on them. Of course you still have a chance for medical school. Keep in mind, you are only a sophomore. Upward trend is very important in your situation. Showing 2.5 more years of solid grades and a solid MCAT score will put any doubts of your academic abilities to rest.

Also, what is your science GPA?

Reactions: 2 users
Only retake classes if they are pre reqs and you got less than a C on them. Of course you still have a chance for medical school. Keep in mind, you are only a sophomore. Upward trend is very important in your situation. Showing 2.5 more years of solid grades and a solid MCAT score will put any doubts of your academic abilities to rest.

Also, what is your science GPA?
Current Science GPA is a 3.84

Members don't see this ad :)
Current Science GPA is a 3.84
So your cumulative is the 2.9 mentioned in the post? It looks like you're doing great in your science classes so far. Add in some non science classes to boost that overall GPA and you should be good to go by the time you graduate, assuming you continue doing well.

Hello everyone, I’m new here but I think this is a good place to get some guidance/ help because if I’m honest my counselors aren’t the best. I am currently a second year college student who just switched to pre-med. So far my current GPA is a 2.9 Bad, I know, but this far I’ve taken both bio classes, both chem classes, and physics as well, I passed all with an A. I’m in O-chem rn with a B+. The reason for my GPA being what it is, is because I was a bit misguided freshman year and spent majority of my time partying, and it wasn’t until the summer after I started to get serious. My question is: does it sound like I still have a chance for med-school or should I retake these classes to better my GPA? My counselors told me to retake them but I wanted to know if it really mattered since I do pretty well in my science courses which actually matter? If you read all of this thank you haha.
Rising GPA trends are always good.

Reactions: 1 user