switching from econ to pre-med; junior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alicante

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an economics major about to start my 3rd year this fall. I've recently become very interested medicine and have been more passionate about it than I've ever been about my major.

Unfortunately because I never really liked what I was studying, my GPA is a fairly average 3.4. My math/science GPA is a 3.7. I have no clinical or shadowing experience, but I have volunteered ~20 hours per semester since I've started college. Because I'm so late to switch, I need to finish the econ major and do the pre-med track, instead of picking a science major like most people do.

I know it will be extremely hard but I will give it my all because I've never been as passionate about any field before. Do I have a chance? Is there any advice you guys have for me?? Thanks in advance!!
 
Thanks for your advice! I will probably have to take a gap year after I finish anyways, so I'll use that time for shadowing & clinical volunteering as well as during the school years.