Switching from MD to Pharm Danyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellyrara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who was seriously considering and going to apply to medical school but when in the process of applying decided not to and apply to pharm school. I am one of these individuals and wuold really like to hear back from anyone who did this...

Members don't see this ad.

mellyrara said:
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who was seriously considering and going to apply to medical school but when in the process of applying decided not to and apply to pharm school. I am one of these individuals and wuold really like to hear back from anyone who did this...

just a question: what didn't you like about med school? why are you switching?

jky007 said:
just a question: what didn't you like about med school? why are you switching?

Honestly, I never thought about pharmacy and was total medical school driven, wanting to pursue a career in medicine. But then I got married and realized the commitment involved and I want a family and would like to be home at the most integral years of my children's lives and I am just wondering if I can get the satisfaction out of pharmacy that I would out of being an MD.
I am at a cross roads and am highly confused, I really don't know what to think....any opinions on this????

Members don't see this ad :)
mellyrara said:
Honestly, I never thought about pharmacy and was total medical school driven, wanting to pursue a career in medicine. But then I got married and realized the commitment involved and I want a family and would like to be home at the most integral years of my children's lives and I am just wondering if I can get the satisfaction out of pharmacy that I would out of being an MD.
I am at a cross roads and am highly confused, I really don't know what to think....any opinions on this????

well pharmacy is definitely less intensive of a path to follow vs. medicine. a big perk about it is that pharmacists do get the same sort of patient interaction and affect patients just as MDs. the reason why so many women are in the profession is because of the dilemma that we know we will soon face, as you currently are.

pharmacy lets you have more of a life in my opinion. you can still make a very decent living while maintaining a family. the stress of being on-call and having patients page you isn't there with pharmacy. if you don't know much about pharmacy, try shadowing or volunteering somewhere instead of blindly deciding to make such a huge switch. i think you'll like what you find :cool:
good luck!

Hi Mellyrara - your dilemma is faced by lots of people, and it's exactly this dilemma that got many people to switch from medicine to pharmacy.

Jky007 is right in his post - pharmacy is less intense and allows a good family life. A sacrifice has to be made if you follow medicine and you are about to have kids - the reality is that you won't be able to spend much time with them. If family is your top priority, then your decision should be simple.

5 years ago I was in a similar position too. Now that I'm a pharmacist, I have to say that even though sometimes I wonder about medicine, I don't regret my decision in pursuing pharmacy.

mellyrara said:

First off, I agree with the posts above.

I was in this boat during this past year. I was dead-set on being a doctor for the longest time- and even made a few med programs, but a recent major event in my life caused me to evaluate why I wanted to be a doctor in the first place, and if medicine is truly for me to spend my life pursuing.

My parent suffered a heart attack. It was the pharmacist, more so than any doctor, who played a major role by helping to explain the medications and by giving tips in how to take them, to make the treatment work. And after speaking to patients, doctors and pharmacists,I saw this theme recurring- that without a pharmacist, a patient would have a hell of a lot of pills to take and little advice on how to actually take them- the day-to-day obviously matters. This event made me look at pharmacy in a much different light.

In the same vain, with an eye towards evaluating the actual day-to-day grind, I looked at the medical school admissions process and realized that although I had good reasons for wanting to become a doctor and had gotten accepted to medical school, that it was not for me by this detailed scale of measurement.

After working in a major city hospital during the year (I took a year off after graduation from college), I realized that it would always be a struggle for me to play the role of a physician- that it would not come naturally. I also realised that I was more interested in both the social and scientific aspects of pharmacy than I was of medicine. I saw myself being happier, and therefore more helpful, as a pharmacist. Pharmacy had more personal meaning to me.

I think it's A-OKAY to apply to both medical school and pharmacy schools at the same time. That is what I did. But, I think that at some point, you are going to have to make a real decision as to what you can see yourself doing.

Good luck with your decision.

fruit fly said:
First off, I agree with the posts above.

I was in this boat during this past year. I was dead-set on being a doctor for the longest time- and even made a few med programs, but a recent major event in my life caused me to evaluate why I wanted to be a doctor in the first place, and if medicine is truly for me to spend my life pursuing.

My parent suffered a heart attack. It was the pharmacist, more so than any doctor, who played a major role by helping to explain the medications and by giving tips in how to take them, to make the treatment work. And after speaking to patients, doctors and pharmacists,I saw this theme recurring- that without a pharmacist, a patient would have a hell of a lot of pills to take and little advice on how to actually take them- the day-to-day obviously matters. This event made me look at pharmacy in a much different light.

In the same vain, with an eye towards evaluating the actual day-to-day grind, I looked at the medical school admissions process and realized that although I had good reasons for wanting to become a doctor and had gotten accepted to medical school, that it was not for me by this detailed scale of measurement.

After working in a major city hospital during the year (I took a year off after graduation from college), I realized that it would always be a struggle for me to play the role of a physician- that it would not come naturally. I also realised that I was more interested in both the social and scientific aspects of pharmacy than I was of medicine. I saw myself being happier, and therefore more helpful, as a pharmacist. Pharmacy had more personal meaning to me.

I think it's A-OKAY to apply to both medical school and pharmacy schools at the same time. That is what I did. But, I think that at some point, you are going to have to make a real decision as to what you can see yourself doing.

Good luck with your decision.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS; YOU ALL GAVE ME THE GOOSE BUMPS AND SEEM LIKE FANTASTIC WARM INDIVIDUALS WITH HEARTS OF GOLD.
I truly admire your open and honest views about my predicament and that is what I ultimately needed, SUPPORT! Thank you all again!