Switching from premed to predental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gamesdf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Long time lurker here. I posted this type of question before here, and people helped me a lot.. So, I am posting another question here because I desperately need your help again.

Before going into details, I just want to say that I am NOT switching to predental just because I want to have backup plans. So I hope this wont cause any flame wars. I got into several medical schools this year, but I changed my mind after some experiences with several dentists for my wisdom tooth problems. I also shadowed a dentist and confirmed dentistry is what I want to do.

I shadowed a dentist a few months ago, but I did it only for 10 hours in total... I am planning to increase it up to 100 hrs.. But the problem is, I am working in a lab as a research scientist on weekdays as a full time.. I have to work here for at least 2 years, and that's why I am planning to apply next year.

Assuming I luckily find a dental office that is open on weekend.... Do you guys think one year from now is enough time for me to switch from premed to predental successfully to apply next year? I have very strong LORs, and the committee told me that 4 of those can be used for dental schools as well. So I am planning to get a letter from my supervisor from the lab and from a dentist that I am going to shadow in the future..

Also, I got 12+ on both bio and physics section on MCAT.. How long will it take me to study for DAT working for a full time job? I heard there will be changes for DAT in 2016.. Should I take it before the changes?

Thank you so much in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

If you've gotten into med school I think you have a good shot. If you shadow a lot (More than 100) at different specialties I think you have a fighting chance. No doubt you'll crush the DAT based on the MCAT score. Good luck, at this point it's just about showing adcoms that you want to do dentistry and you'll do that by shadowing and getting good LOR from them.

Aren't you afraid the letter will recommend you to medical school instead of dental school by accident ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't you afraid the letter will recommend you to medical school instead of dental school by accident ?

Already checked with the committee and they told me 4 out of 7 letters are generic letters that can be used for any kinds of schools. And those 4 letters are from the professors who liked me a lot.

I am curious, which medical schools did you get into? Were these allopathic programs in the US?

Both allopathic and osteopathic schools. Of course, they are in the US.
I got into NYIT, Rowan, Rutgers-RWJ, Drexel, and NJMS.

A few months ago I was pre-medical myself. During a 4 week period, I was able to obtain 30+ hours of job shadowing, while working full time in a research lab and studying for the DAT. I just submitted my dental application last week. It's extremely stressful to pull off, but it can be done!

A few months ago I was pre-medical myself. During a 4 week period, I was able to obtain 30+ hours of job shadowing, while working full time in a research lab and studying for the DAT. I just submitted my dental application last week. It's extremely stressful to pull off, but it can be done!

Thank you for the response. May I ask what materials you used for DAT and how long you studied for it?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes sir! So I used the following: Cliff's AP Bio (3rd edition), Chad's Videos (very good for refreshing on ochem, especially IR and NMR data analysis), DAT Bootcamp (definitely the material that I recommend the most, it has unlimited PAT practice too), and finally DAT Destroyer. I think the first three were very useful, however I found that DAT Destroyer wasn't as useful for me, probably because I didn't have too much time. If I had more time, I would have utilized DAT Destroyer more, a lot of people recommend it.

Also, I took a few of the online practice tests through Kaplan. I went to my library to borrow the Kaplan Blue Book, and luckily there was still the online code inside! ;)

I am probably an outlier, but I began studying August 1st and took the DAT on August 21st. I found that a lot of the material overlapped with my major, so that made it easier. The best thing I can recommend is to do practice tests and practice questions to get a good feel for the test. Make sure that you time yourself as well, I didn't do that when I studied and I almost ran out of time on two of the sections.

Good luck to you! You can do it! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Plenty of time to switch.