Switching Majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KateLig

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently going into my second year of university (undergrad). I am thinking about switching majors from music to bio for med school. I know med schools don't really care what your major is but my science background isn't too strong so I think it may help me prep for the MCAT.

Is this a smart move on my part? I really don't want to hurt my GPA but at the same time, I feel like I need these science courses to prep properly for my MCAT, rather than just doing the book courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently going into my second year of university (undergrad). I am thinking about switching majors from music to bio for med school. I know med schools don't really care what your major is but my science background isn't too strong so I think it may help me prep for the MCAT.

Is this a smart move on my part? I really don't want to hurt my GPA but at the same time, I feel like I need these science courses to prep properly for my MCAT, rather than just doing the book courses.
Theoretically, you just need the usual prerequisites, Biochem, and some behavioral sciences to do well on the MCAT, but since you don't feel your grasp of science is strong, reinforcing the concepts you've learned with additional science coursework is a good idea. This is a two-edged sword, however, as taking more rigorous upper-level coursework may make it harder to earn the As you need to stay competitive. So don't take a heavy schedule to start, and minimize your ECs until you have your study strategies well developed.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with @Catalystik that additional science coursework may be beneficial to you. However, I don't think you should automatically pull the trigger on changing your major. Take a look at your current graduation requirements and map out the next few years. You may be able to continue with your current major while still fitting in the additional coursework you need to kill the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

This is one of those few times I'll contradict myself and say that music majors are rare and appreciated. They tend to do well in our program.

Reactions: 1 users