Switching Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted840740

delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not just most rank lists - if NRMP match lists were already due and you didn’t have an application in, it does sound like you’re out of luck for the Match and for SOAP this year. That leaves your options with programs that don’t fill in SOAP (including prelim programs) and programs with slots that open up outside the Match over the year.

You will also need an NRMP waiver. A "change of heart" waiver is automatic if you apply for it by Dec 15th (which obbiously is impossible now). You can't start looking for a new position until you have a waiver release from your prior position.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the replies. so regardless when you leave a program they need to know by Dec 15th? I even thought about dropping out of the advanced position soon to just re-enter the match this fall. is that not possible legally?
It's possible, just not automatic like it would have been if you had dropped out and applied for the waiver prior to December 15th.

At this point, you basically have 2 options:
1. Start the advanced year and see if you like it after all.
2. Contact your advanced program ASAP and tell them you want out (and why), then petition for a waiver and hope for the best. You'll definitely have to sit this year out unless your current prelim is the specialty you now what to go into and your PD wants you to stay and ca make a spot for you.

Reactions: 3 users
I would start the advanced year, keep an open mind, and given yourself about 2 months to see if you like it or not. If you don't, then proceed with the switch. Your chances of matching with this cycle are very slim. Emotions are very deceitful and you may actually end up really liking the advanced program/specialty you are already matched into. Just a thought.

Reactions: 2 users
I went through pretty much this same exact thing. I had no choice but to start my advanced year. I didn't like it, and ended up reapplying and going through the match process again while I am a PGY-2. It sucks, but being stuck in a specialty you don't like sucks infinitely more. PM me if you have any questions about the process.

Reactions: 1 user