Switching Undergraduate Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownlightning

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I started off attending UT-Austin as an engineering student. My GPA is a 2.6 which is decent for an engineering student. However I want to become a PT now and I'm pretty sure that a 2.6 is not going to get me into any DPT programs. I'm wondering if I should switch to an "easier" school so that I can boost my GPA.

Would it be better to switch schools or should I just stay at UT and try to get into a program with "hopefully" a 2.8-2.9?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you may not need to switch schools, but rather have you considered adjusting majors to something more to your liking? Or are you attempting to stick with the same major for undergrad, but switch come grad school? And I don't think switching to an "easier" school is necessarily the best plan. Now, switching to a school that offers what you want is different. Also, it would be helpful to know what year you are in school, as that can give ideas as to how limited you may be to move around between majors and/or schools. Finally, if PT is what you are after, then definitely put a LOT of effort into all the courses that are pre-requisites. If programs can see that you have made an effort to change things around, they will typically take that into consideration.

Take a drive about 30 miles south of Austin and visit Texas State. They have a great PT program there, from the looks and what I've read anyway. You could finish your bachelors there if you are not already too far along. You could look at UT-San Antonio. They also have a PT program as well as all the undergrad pre-reqs you would need.

If I were you, and it's possible given how far along you are, I would scoot on down to San Marcos and sign up. They also appear to have a very active "Pre-PT" group.

Appreciate the advise guys. I'm a junior by hours at the moment, but I would still need another 2 years to finish up my prequisites for PT and get a degree in something. Still think transferring may be a good idea?

Texas State is at the top of my list if I do decide to transfer, I just don't know if they'd take me.