switching vets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdlbk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been shadowing this vet for a few months now, and for whatever reason we just aren't clicking. While I think I'm learning a lot there, I don't think she'll be someone I could get a LOR from. I'd really like to find another vet to shadow.

The problem is that she is a very well established vet in our somewhat small town, and so she knows probably literally every other vet here, so I likely can't just find another vet without her hearing about it. How should I broach the subject with her?

Maybe I'm overthinking this.. but what do you guys think??

Members don't see this ad.

Just let her know that several of the schools you are applying to have encouraged obtaining experience in a variety of settings, and that you are interested in gaining experience in clinics, and see if there is one or more that she recommends for your next shadowing experience. I was shadowing at three clinics at one time, and they were competeing clinics, but the vets understood.

who says that shadows had to be loyal to one vet? there's no reason why you need to make it seem as though you're "betraying" this clinic... cause really, you're not. unless this vet really hates you or something, i would try to strike up a conversation with her and tell her that you're trying to get as much exposure as possible. if she's that well connected, maybe you can even ask her to refer you to another vet. just don't bad mouth her ever wherever you go.

question though. how long have you been at this clinic? are you sure that you're not "clicking," or could it be just that you haven't had enough time/exposure to this vet to build a warm and fuzzy type of relationship with her? some relationships take a little time before it hits off, so if i were you, i'd personally stick it out a bit longer unless i just didn't like this vet. i worked/volunteered at a shelter off and on for years and the first couple of years i had great relationships with a few of the vets there... but i was deathly afraid of another one. i thought we didn't click, and even suspected he thought negatively of me. but it turns out that i was just not important enough in his particular part of the practice, that it never even occurred to him to talk to me. once i started doing more and more in his area and got to know him, we really hit it off. Three years after I last volunteered there, I still stay in touch with him!

Members don't see this ad :)
while there is certainly nothing wrong with working with multiple vets & gaining lots of experience and different perspectives, i would be hesitant to up and leave this one.

i second minnerbelle's comment
speaking from experience - i started working for a very difficult personality vet a couple years ago. it was hard, and occasionally i went home crying. but i toughed it out, got thick skin, and just kept at it. now, while i still may get yelled at sometimes for whatever stupid reason, we are friends and get along well.

so anyway - every situation is different so you'll have to figure out whats best for you. and i don't actually know what 'shadowing' in SA entails exactly

if it were me - i'd probably stick it out and try to improve relations (this takes time and effort), and look into other opportunities on top of that

good luck

Just let her know that several of the schools you are applying to have encouraged obtaining experience in a variety of settings, and that you are interested in gaining experience in clinics, and see if there is one or more that she recommends for your next shadowing experience. I was shadowing at three clinics at one time, and they were competeing clinics, but the vets understood.

Ditto this. That's what I did. It's a good thing to do even if you get along with the vet you're at.