Syringes without prescription

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you think pharmacies should sell syringe/needles without a prescription?

• Yes! It can help prevent drug abusers from sharing needles and prevent disease transmission.

Votes: 80 61.1%
  • I don't care, the law permits it.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • No! It promotes drug abuse.

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • None of the above. I'll post my opinion below.

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
I thought pharmacists were too busy to take a pee. Amazing that there are some here who find the time to put so much thought into selling syringes legally.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

What, no diaper???? I thought that was the standard so pharmacists can deliver optimal patient care without having to give their precious time to the bathroom.

Members don't see this ad :)
I purchase syringes and I do not have a medical reason, or a drug abuse issue with them.

I use them for a hobby/crafting activity.

I raise ant colonies for scientific research, and personal interest. I currently hold about 30 active ant colonies in captivity. A critical issue of keeping a healthy ant colony is to keep their substrate hydrated. This gives them access to water. I actually use the syringes to insert the needle into a tiny hole that gives me access to the surface of their "tunnel system" and I inject the water directly into the habitat.

Although my intentions are completely legitimate, I always get a dirty look (or a very serious stare) from the pharmacy staff when I purchase them. This is very bothersome, but I don't let people's prejudices prevent me from enjoying my hobbies. In fact, getting the syringes was a piece of cake compared to convincing my wife to let me raise ant colonies. :laugh:

Anyway, the point is - There are many people out there that buy syringes for a perfectly legitimate reason, and sometimes it has nothing to do with a medical reason or a drug reason. Even if it was for drug purposes, we should all just realize that this sort of thing is a part of life.. Nothing we do will stop it from happening.

Ironically, speaking of this thread, this is THE EXACT q my preceptor asked me to look up today on rotation. Gotta love the awesomness state I live in:

http://www.calhep.org/

CalHEP News

Pharmacy Syringe Access (SB 41 - Yee)

As of January 2012, California has a new law to help prevent new cases of viral hepatitis and HIV. It allows licensed pharmacies throughout the state to sell or furnish up to 30 syringes to any persons 18 or older, without prescription, without identification and without a logbook. It does not require a vote of local government as had the previous pilot program. It is up to the individual pharmacist to decide whether to furnish sterile syringes to an adult without a prescription
The law also allows adults to possess up to 30 syringes for personal use, if acquired from a pharmacy, physician or authorized syringe exchange program.

The overwhelming medical and scientific consensus is that "Non-Prescription Syringe Sale" (NPSS) helps slow the spread of hepatitis B & C, HIV and other blood-borne diseases without contributing to increased drug use, crime or unsafe discard of syringes.
CalHEP worked with hepatitis activists, HIV advocates, drug policy reformers, and the largest associations of pharmacists, physicians and nurses in the state to push SB 41 by Senator Leland Yee (D-SF), to make syringe access through pharmacies legal in California. Now that it is law, we are part of an effort to educate pharmacists and encourage them to participate in the program and to provide information to the viral hepatitis community. Check back often for updated information and news."

Although my intentions are completely legitimate, I always get a dirty look (or a very serious stare) from the pharmacy staff when I purchase them. This is very bothersome, but I don't let people's prejudices prevent me from enjoying my hobbies. In fact, getting the syringes was a piece of cake compared to convincing my wife to let me raise ant colonies. :laugh:

This makes me sad.

Ever used antworks?

doesn't give you or any other pharmacist the right to act as legislature, judge, and jury and make up your own **** because it's convenient for you.

You're not required to dispense **** in my state is you're not comfortable. Falls under than same rules. A pharmacist has the right to protect him/herself.

I have never denied anyone syringes, yet somehow that mob of heroin addicts shooting up all over the store never materializes. If you are so worried about it, put a sharps container in the bathroom. Will help the patients with diabetes as well.

Never said there would be a mob of heroin shooters. If you started to find used syringes in your bathroom or parking lot you may have made a similar decision (like the pharmacist I worked with). As horrible as some may see it, the safety of the staff and other non-drug using customers came before preventing the spread of blood borne disease. I'd hate to think a kid would go to use the restroom and see some novel object and get poked and exposed to hepatitis.

The people who need the syringes for crafts or OTC insulin are far and few between so it's not like we inconvenienced a large number of people. After a while, people stopped asking to buy syringes and went somewhere else.

Never said there would be a mob of heroin shooters. If you started to find used syringes in your bathroom or parking lot you may have made a similar decision (like the pharmacist I worked with). As horrible as some may see it, the safety of the staff and other non-drug using customers came before preventing the spread of blood borne disease. I'd hate to think a kid would go to use the restroom and see some novel object and get poked and exposed to hepatitis.

The people who need the syringes for crafts or OTC insulin are far and few between so it's not like we inconvenienced a large number of people. After a while, people stopped asking to buy syringes and went somewhere else.

Like, I said, put a sharps container in your bathroom if it's a big deal. You should have one anyone for your patients who have diabetes. They are probably using more sharps in your bathroom daily than your flocks and flocks of IV druggies.

PS: I sell syringes all the time and I've never found one in the bathroom or the parking lot.

Like, I said, put a sharps container in your bathroom if it's a big deal. You should have one anyone for your patients who have diabetes. They are probably using more sharps in your bathroom daily than your flocks and flocks of IV druggies.

PS: I sell syringes all the time and I've never found one in the bathroom or the parking lot.
If you've just had a hit of heroin, I'm sure the first thing on your mind is putting that needle in the proper receptacle. Drug abusers are very rational people, you know.

If you've just had a hit of heroin, I'm sure the first thing on your mind is putting that needle in the proper receptacle. Drug abusers are very rational people, you know.

Works for our pharmacy/rotation site I am at - heroic addicts frequently bring their syinges in and deposit them in.

Works for our pharmacy/rotation site I am at - heroic addicts frequently bring their syinges in and deposit them in.
Within seconds after their dose? That's impressive awareness on their part.

Just tell them where to put it :)

It worked fine when I worked retail in the ghetto. You just say, if you're giving yourself a "shot" here, please put the needle in the red bin in the bathroom please, ok?

Members don't see this ad :)
Within seconds after their dose? That's impressive awareness on their part.

Not within seconds if you are trying to be a smarty pants - I don't exactly know how many seconds after :laugh: since they aren't exactly shooting in front of me, they just bring them in and then I have access to their medical charts and noted that a few of them were active IVDUs.

You are talking to a person who was on Pep after needle stick, so it's not like I don't exacty see your POV either. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This makes me sad.

Ever used antworks?

Yes, I have a couple of antworks setups. But, the thing about antworks is the substrate will grow mold and eventually kill the colony.

If you want to keep a colony for several years, you need to use a stone type of substance that can absorb/hold water and is also mold resistant.

Funny thing is, I also have to purchase test tubes on a regular basis as an initial habitat for young queen ants. This makes the hobby shop employee's think that I am a meth cooker... Oh well..

I have a friend that crafts stone ant habitats, and makes videos of them on youtube. If you are curious of what they look like, click the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkAb-lOyFTQ

I think it's a bull**** excuse not to sell syringes. I have never found one just lying around the store. And I've worked in some very rough places.

The decision is easy where I live. City ordinance requires a prescription for syringes/needles...no sales without a script. Around here, all prescriptions for insulin, cyanocobalamine, testosterone cyp, etc are also written with scripts for the injection supplies. Most individual cities in my metro area have similar city ordinances, with only one or two allowing at will syringe/needle sales.

The decision is easy where I live. City ordinance requires a prescription for syringes/needles...no sales without a script. Around here, all prescriptions for insulin, cyanocobalamine, testosterone cyp, etc are also written with scripts for the injection supplies. Most individual cities in my metro area have similar city ordinances, with only one or two allowing at will syringe/needle sales.

Can I ask which state you are in?

I thought pharmacists were too busy to take a pee. Amazing that there are some here who find the time to put so much thought into selling syringes legally.:rolleyes:
There's very little thought required when working as a staff pharmacist. For a floater that's not very familiar with the clientele, on the other hand, it could get hairy.

I think it's a bull**** excuse not to sell syringes. I have never found one just lying around the store. And I've worked in some very rough places.
It's possible. Shoot... I found a bag of marijuana next to the front door not that long ago.

There's very little thought required when working as a staff pharmacist. For a floater that's not very familiar with the clientele, on the other hand, it could get hairy.

It's possible. Shoot... I found a bag of marijuana next to the front door not that long ago.

Was it good marijuana ? Not that you would know anything about that bag. :luck:

:laugh:

You are also an expert in linguistics now in addition to being a pre-pharm ? :rofl:

I"m not making you out to be a bad guy - I'm saying a person under the circumstances you described is a bad guy and that's MHO, my personal philosophy you have a responsibility to people there and it's not just paying your taxes, it has something to do with the oath you took as a pharmacist.

Let me ask you this question - you never had a lapse of judgement, ever had one night stand ? What if you got infected by carelessly hooking up with someone because of one mistake and now have aquired an HIV from a person who is a drug user or just used drugs intermittenly recreationally? Do you know how many stories like that I witness at the clinic I work in ? Had a fun night out and now has an HIV and yes, these people are responsible for their own actions, but by not giving out needlees you aren't exactly helping a situation. :rolleyes:

I love how I came into this thread and asked people to explain their positioning and gave my thoughts and position. And I was insulted and called various names by the ever so mature "pharmacists" here.

Of course I know syringes can be used for various other things. At my pharmacy, we choose to only dispense syringes to those who need it for a medical purpose. Doesn't matter if it's b12 injections, testosterone, or insulin. Everyone gets treated the same way in that they need a prescription for syringes. If you don't like that, go somewhere else. Nothing is forcing you to come to my pharmacy. Very few people have had an issue with that thus far.

Regarding the one night stand thing... The day that someone comes in and says I gave them HIV because I didn't sell syringes to their one night stand will be the day I open up my syringe stand on the corner of the road and sell them at half price. Even if you are highly intoxicated, you still have the ability to say "bad idea" to yourself and stop. No one to blame but themselves, as horrible as the situation is.

Regardless, many of you have explained your positions and I appreciate that, although some less kindly than others. However, I still stand by my opinion. If you come to me looking for syringes without a prescription the answer is no. The city offers plenty of help with that and more.

http://cityofnewhaven.com/Health/Aids.asp

Ps it says pre pharm because I really don't care enough to change it because this is nothing more than an anonymous Internet forum. But apparently that title gets you guys going, so I guess I'll leave it ;)

I love how I came into this thread and asked people to explain their positioning and gave my thoughts and position. And I was insulted and called various names by the ever so mature "pharmacists" here.

Well, since you quoted by post I'm not the "ever so mature" :laugh: "pharmacist, just a measley pharm student, so I can be as immature as I want.;)

If you want maturity - google the california public health initiative stuy reharding this - before they implemented a law in a January of this year, they specifically did a public health study that provided statistics that "furnishing or selling" syringes to people correlates with a noteworthy decrease in a rate of HIV , HCV infection. There, bam, can't argue with facts that YOUR actions have consequences on people getting infected.

Regardless, many of you have explained your positions and I appreciate that, although some less kindly than others. However, I still stand by my opinion. If you come to me looking for syringes without a prescription the answer is no. The city offers plenty of help with that and more.

Fortunately, for every one person with your beliefs there is 10 progressive folks out there on board with public health concerns so there will be options for these patients.

Last edited:
I would like to reiterate, your personal beliefs should never stand in the way of good patient care. And assisting in the prevention of HIV, Hep C infection (or whatever) is good for society in general. It's why places hand out free condoms. It's actually a fair comparison- condoms and needles. Risky behavior can lead to the spread of infection. Promiscuity and drug use are risky and no matter what you say people will sleep around and/or shoot heroin. Are you opposed to handing out condoms too?

I would like to reiterate, your personal beliefs should never stand in the way of good patient care. And assisting in the prevention of HIV, Hep C infection (or whatever) is good for society in general. It's why places hand out free condoms. It's actually a fair comparison- condoms and needles. Risky behavior can lead to the spread of infection. Promiscuity and drug use are risky and no matter what you say people will sleep around and/or shoot heroin. Are you opposed to handing out condoms too?

but...but...but.... I'm always right! Everyone should bend to my beliefs!

Who cares if some duly elected officials created these silly little things called laws? Pssshhhhhh.

but...but...but.... I'm always right! Everyone should bend to my beliefs!

Who cares if some duly elected officials created these silly little things called laws? Pssshhhhhh.

That's right. I should make my own laws. **** those medicaid babies and crack ***** moms and all that cocaine they get from the government./sarcasm

I had a rotation back in 3rd year at a public health/community health site where we would distribute these "IVDU" kits that had retractable syringes, elastic bands, condoms, and other random first aid items for the registered IVDU in the organization. And we'd have to deliver these to their addresses (usually in the ghetto/projects).

I didn't mind it much since we always traveled in a group of 3-4 people (not to mention I was armed with multiple knives, pepper spray, stun gun, and an airsoft pistol). We'd have 1 of us waiting outside the apartment building or house double parked, and the rest of us would go up to the person's apartment.

I had a rotation back in 3rd year at a public health/community health site where we would distribute these "IVDU" kits that had retractable syringes, elastic bands, condoms, and other random first aid items for the registered IVDU in the organization. And we'd have to deliver these to their addresses (usually in the ghetto/projects).

I didn't mind it much since we always traveled in a group of 3-4 people (not to mention I was armed with multiple knives, pepper spray, stun gun, and an airsoft pistol). We'd have 1 of us waiting outside the apartment building or house double parked, and the rest of us would go up to the person's apartment.
Do fully retractable syringes exist? The retractable syringes that we use for vaccines have to be retracted by the user, which is just another loophole for needle sharing.

There's a fine line between personal beliefs and professional judgement. If the law states a person can buy a 10 pack of needles with valid I.D. and you refuse because you think every person who wants a pack of needles is a heroin addict, then that's your personal belief coming into conflict.

If a person comes in and asks for a 10 pack of needles stating their purpose is to shoot up heroin in your store bathroom and you refuse (I've witnessed this), well that's your professional judgement coming into conflict.

What about a woman who comes in every three days to buy Plan-B? Do you sell it because she's over 17, or does your professional judgement come into conflict with her recurrent use of it?

Old Timer hit the nail on the head: There is NOTHING we can do as pharmacists for a heroin addict. Hence the ethical discussion this topic creates.

I guess the moral is follow the law, and don't let your personal beliefs cloud your professional judgement.

For the people that voted number 1. I am just curious on your opinions of people being able to buy illegal drugs or CII drugs whenever and where ever they want.

I mean since people WILL abuse drugs no matter what, do you guys think we should just make ALL illegal and CII drugs available over the counter everywhere in the country?

I mean since people will abuse drugs no matter what why not just sell heroin or oxycodone over the counter without a prescripton? Drug abusers will ABUSE no matter what...why not sell these drugs OTC and save them the hassle? Not to mention all the extra tax dollars we will raise selling illegal drugs legally! :laugh:

What are the opinions on this issue?

Why make drugs illegal at all? Like we all mentioned drug abusers will abuse anyways...why not just sell all drugs OTC and save the hassle?

I voted number 2. I don't care what other people do with their lives. It doesn't effect me at all if you want to do drugs and die. I don't care if you die.

However, the popular opinion on this thread seems to be. People will abuse heroin no matter what, so we should sell them syringes to make their lives easier. Why give them hassle? They will do heroin no matter what.

Great opinion.

But how is that different than why NOT sell heroin OTC? People that abuse drugs will abuse no matter what...AGAIN why give them the hassle? Just go ahead and sell that drug OTC.

No way we can stop them anyways right? :laugh:

There's a fine line between personal beliefs and professional judgement. If the law states a person can buy a 10 pack of needles with valid I.D. and you refuse because you think every person who wants a pack of needles is a heroin addict, then that's your personal belief coming into conflict.

If a person comes in and asks for a 10 pack of needles stating their purpose is to shoot up heroin in your store bathroom and you refuse (I've witnessed this), well that's your professional judgement coming into conflict.

What about a woman who comes in every three days to buy Plan-B? Do you sell it because she's over 17, or does your professional judgement come into conflict with her recurrent use of it?

Old Timer hit the nail on the head: There is NOTHING we can do as pharmacists for a heroin addict. Hence the ethical discussion this topic creates.

I guess the moral is follow the law, and don't let your personal beliefs cloud your professional judgement.

I see what you're saying but plan B isn't the same. A teen taking plan B doesn't put others at risk. If a teen is coming in for plan B every three days, which I imagine is incredibly unlikely, it only points to the problem of access to regular birth control and/or general lack of information about the risks of inappropriate use of Plan B. In either case, the best thing to do as a pharmacist is to give her the information and tell her where she can get care. For all you know, she is getting molested or selling herself to survive.

The point I do agree with is that personal beliefs shouldn't cloud your professional judgment. There are pharmacists who think it is their duty to impose their religion and beliefs on others by refusing patients something they are legally able to purchase. In the case of needles, it's not just about that one person...it's a public health and economic issue, which has already been pointed out.

Personal judgment has no place in health care and usually just leads to further lack of care of people who are already vulnerable or otherwise disadvantaged.

Last edited:
For the people that voted number 1. I am just curious on your opinions of people being able to buy illegal drugs or CII drugs whenever and where ever they want.

I mean since people WILL abuse drugs no matter what, do you guys think we should just make ALL illegal and CII drugs available over the counter everywhere in the country?

I mean since people will abuse drugs no matter what why not just sell heroin or oxycodone over the counter without a prescripton? Drug abusers will ABUSE no matter what...why not sell these drugs OTC and save them the hassle? Not to mention all the extra tax dollars we will raise selling illegal drugs legally! :laugh:

What are the opinions on this issue?

Why make drugs illegal at all? Like we all mentioned drug abusers will abuse anyways...why not just sell all drugs OTC and save the hassle?

Not all of them. Some of them should be legalized IMO and sold and taxed such as marijuana, LSD, and psychoactive mushrooms, and cocaine. The other ones like heroin, meth, PCP. bath salts... nope. Heroins has its uses in terminally ill patients since its more potent than morphine.

I've seen enough IVDU related cellulitis/endocarditis/Hepatitis C. Not exactly cheap or easy diseases to treat.

If it can reduce transmission and disease it's fine with me; most of the people I see are obviously on Medicaid or have no insurance, so the way I see it is that sharing needles generally is worse for society as a whole.

Uncomfortable when a heroin addict asks for syringes? Of course it is. But is it safer and does it prevent disease? Sad that no one considers actual results as opposed to moral obligation/RPh police/prejudice.

I see what you're saying but plan B isn't the same. A teen taking plan B doesn't put others at risk. If a teen is coming in for plan B every three days, which I imagine is incredibly unlikely, it only points to the problem of access to regular birth control and/or general lack of information about the risks of inappropriate use of Plan B. In either case, the best thing to do as a pharmacist is to give her the information and tell her where she can get care. For all you know, she is getting molested or selling herself to survive.

The point I do agree with is that personal beliefs shouldn't cloud your professional judgment. There are pharmacists who think it is their duty to impose their religion and beliefs on others by refusing patients something they are legally able to purchase. In the case of needles, it's not just about that one person...it's a public health and economic issue, which has already been pointed out.

Personal judgment has no place in health care and usually just leads to further lack of care of people who are already vulnerable or otherwise disadvantaged.
I voted number 2. I don't care what other people do with their lives. It doesn't effect me at all if you want to do drugs and die. I don't care if you die.

However, the popular opinion on this thread seems to be. People will abuse heroin no matter what, so we should sell them syringes to make their lives easier. Why give them hassle? They will do heroin no matter what.

Great opinion.

But how is that different than why NOT sell heroin OTC? People that abuse drugs will abuse no matter what...AGAIN why give them the hassle? Just go ahead and sell that drug OTC.

No way we can stop them anyways right? :laugh:
Agreed.

So why don't we stop punishing cheaters in pharmacy school, because people will cheat no matter what, right? I mean, cheating doesn't put others at risk... or does it? ;)

Agreed.

So why don't we stop punishing cheaters in pharmacy school, because people will cheat no matter what, right? I mean, cheating doesn't put others at risk... or does it? ;)

WTF? How does a girl taking Plan B every 3 days put others at risk?

And how does an IVDU shooting up heroin with a clean needle put others at risk?

Agreed.

Oh please.... lol that's a ridiculous thing to bring up as an analogy. I'm not surprised, though.:D

Oh please.... lol that's a ridiculous thing to bring up as an analogy. I'm not surprised, though.:D
Well, you brought up harm to others. Just think about it.

So what about the people who pass out or OD on heroine? They're not all just sitting at home whenever they die you know. And it doesn't have to be heroine... what about the dudes raging on steroids? I had a patient who was misusing testosterone to the point of putting other people at harm. Testosterone made him think he was invincible.

I guess for "safety's sake", we should just let them shoot up?!

So what about the people who pass out or OD on heroine? They're not all just sitting at home whenever they die you know. And it doesn't have to be heroine... what about the dudes raging on steroids? I had a patient who was misusing testosterone to the point of putting other people at harm. Testosterone made him think he was invincible.

Testosterone is not a hallucinogen and will not make you think you're invincible (or give roid rage for that matter :rolleyes: ). Being a ******* will make you think you're invincible. Just so happens your specific ******* was a gym monkey.

Do you think not selling clean needles has ever stopped anyone from using illegal drugs?

I've known diabetics who didn't have insurance and weren't seeing a Dr regularly. They were buying OTC regular insulin and 70/30, as well as the syringes and needles.

Do you think not selling clean needles has ever stopped anyone from using illegal drugs?
With no other 24hr pharmacy around and if they don't already have a needle, yes.

Charming. Because pushing them to share dirty needles is so great for society. You're a real winner.

Techincially he or she could reuse the same needle over and over again if he or she is the only person using it right? or not? :confused:

It could save a lot of money for those diabetics without insurance. LOL

I checked our pharmacy policies for syringes and it is always the patient MUST have 1) ID, 2) bottle of prescription drug that requires a syringe and/or 3) a written prescription of a drug that requires a syringe. In order to buy syringes.

But I do live in Georgia and we are the most conservative state in the country. I guess all the liberal states that favor gay marriages, abortions, and legalizing all drug use will favor anyone being able to buy syringes to do heroin.

It depends on how liberal your state is. I would imagine New York and CA allowing their citizens to do whatever they wish...but here in the south NO WAY! :laugh:

The citizens here go to church on Sundays and we can't even buy alcohol on Sundays b/c it's God's Day. LOL

Last edited: