Syringes without prescription

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you think pharmacies should sell syringe/needles without a prescription?

• Yes! It can help prevent drug abusers from sharing needles and prevent disease transmission.

Votes: 80 61.1%
  • I don't care, the law permits it.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • No! It promotes drug abuse.

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • None of the above. I'll post my opinion below.

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Quitting is their business.

I've kept my parking lot clean for the kids walking around out there. And it's amazing how much the undesirable element in the store dissipates when the addicts in the area who would normally be in a few times a week buying a 10 pack and skeeving out my customers know they need to go elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

I've kept my parking lot clean for the kids walking around out there. And it's amazing how much the undesirable element in the store dissipates when the addicts in the area who would normally be in a few times a week buying a 10 pack and skeeving out my customers know they need to go elsewhere.

Do you keep count of how many people you cause to die form HIV, HEP-B, HEP and other infectious diseases? If you think you are selling to an IV drug user, just tell them to take it off the property. You have a nice private conversation at the consultation. You are providing a disservice to your patients, the community and the healthcare system.

They're going to do it in your parking lot whether you like it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you keep count of how many people you cause to die form HIV, HEP-B, HEP and other infectious diseases? If you think you are selling to an IV drug user, just tell them to take it off the property. You have a nice private conversation at the consultation. You are providing a disservice to your patients, the community and the healthcare system.

I think that the opposition to selling syringes sees themselves as businessmen/merchants more so than healthcare workers and stewards of public health.

One option in the poll for those people should have been: no I won't sell, but I'd support a community needle exchange program so that addicts have access to clean needles, but don't have to turn my place of business into an addiction support clinic.

I think that the opposition to selling syringes sees themselves as businessmen/merchants more so than healthcare workers and stewards of public health.

So crackheads use a different currency than non-drug users?

One option in the poll for those people should have been: no I won't sell, but I'd support a community needle exchange program so that addicts have access to clean needles, but don't have to turn my place of business into an addiction support clinic.
That would be the best option, no doubt. Access to the needles still exists, but it doesn't have to scare away my non-addict customers. Probably would keep the needles near that clinic too, rather than our bathrooms and parking lots. Of course these clinics aren't going to be as numerous as pharmacies, so maybe it does limit access a bit.

So crackheads use a different currency than non-drug users?

A pharmacy frequented by IVDAs (in this fantasy scenario) may lose customers to competitors with more "family friendly" stores.

A pharmacy frequented by IVDAs (in this fantasy scenario) may lose customers to competitors with more "family friendly" stores.

Not if the druggies use the drive thru.

I had to present this topic recently in my Pharmacy law class as a debate. My team was agaist the sale of syringes OTC. This is our supporting arrgument and rebuttal:

Requiring prescriptions for syringes can:
• improve patient’s overall health by encouraging routine doctor’s visits
• promote an open trusting relationship between healthcare professionals and illicit drug users
• ensure better education on appropriate use and disposal of syringes and needles

1. Straight Argument

a. Access
i. Strengths
1. Provides incentive for patients to utilize routine doctor visits.
a. According to the CDC, Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death and is a gateway to other
Diseases including heart disease (leading cause of death) and stroke (3rd leading cause of death)
b. A 2011 study found in The Archives of Internal Medicine, indicated that diabetes patients who
visited a primary care provider every 1-2 weeks vs. 3-6 months achieved goal levels of
hemoglobin A1c (10 months vs. 53 months), BP (1 month vs. 14 months), and LDL-C (5 months
vs. 33 months) quicker than patients with irregular visits.
(http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1105940)
2. Promotes relationships between Intravenous Drug Users (IDU’s) and medical professionals which could lead to renewed trust, additional health services and education, and entry into substance abuse programs.
a. A study published by the Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of
Medicine, discussed a program that permitted doctors to prescribe sterile syringes to IDU’s.
Participants of the study received education on safer injection practices such as cleaning
injection site with alcohol, using a tourniquet, rotating injections sites and signs of abscesses,
cellulitis, and endocarditis. Also, participant’s received counseling on overdose prevention, safe
disposal of used syringes, and received a free biohazard bucket.
b. Patients received much-needed medical screenings including HIV, hepatitis, tuberculosis, and
syphilis. Also, patients could receive Hepatitis B vaccinations.
c. Overall, the syringe prescription program offered a “hook” into further medical care, encouraged
an ongoing relationship between the drug user and healthcare professional, and established a
basis for substance abuse treatment. (http://www.springerlink.com/content/95qhr77n62353130/fulltext.pdf)
d. Because of the illicit nature of drug use, a tremendous amount of mistrust and fear on the part of IDUs often leads to poor interaction with the medical establishment. Prescription of syringes by a physician can serve as a tool for reaching out to a high-risk and often out-of-treatment population of drug users. It is a way for the health care community to tap into drug-using networks and bring those populations into a medical care system.
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1446672/ )
ii. Weaknesses
1. Requiring prescriptions for syringes does not guarantee patients will visit the doctor more frequently.

b. Cost
i. Strengths
1. Syringes, and other diabetic equipment, are covered under Medicaid Part D and would be provided at no cost to patients with a prescription.
2. According to Texas State Law, if the price of a drug to a patient is lower than the amount of the patient's co-payment under the patient's prescription drug insurance plan, the pharmacist shall offer the patient the option of paying for the drug at the lower price instead of paying the amount of the co-payment.
ii. Weaknesses
1. Patients are required to pay a dispensing fee on prescriptions which may elevate costs slightly over OTC pricing.

c. Quality
i. Strengths
1. Prescription syringes will increase interaction with pharmacy professionals who can provide education on proper use and disposal of syringes. Increased education can improve techniques, reduce needle sticks, and decrease hazardous events associated with improper disposal.
2. Proper education on hazards of reusing needles can reduce risk of infection in diabetic patients.
a. Patients who reuse needles when injecting insulin are at a greater risk of developing infections. (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=360391#References)
3. Education on “Silent Needle” syndrome and proper disposal of syringes and needles can decrease “silent needle” events.
a. “Silent Needle” occurs when needles or fragments of needles “silently” penetrate the soft tissues and go unnoticed. They cause infection and injury. Educating diabetic patients can reduce these events. (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1030817 )
ii. Weaknesses
1. “Silent Needle” Syndrome is rare.

2. Rebuttal
a. In some areas, HIV is still on the rise, despite the programs.
i. A study in Vancouver from 2003 shows that although NEP’s are in place there is an increasing prevalence of HIV. This is believed to be due to the fact that providing clean needles for those who participate only touches one facet of the epidemic when more thorough intervention including education for prevention and rehabilitation programs are not provided.
b. Statistics are not showing a strong utilization of OTC programs and users are still reusing needles.
i. A study in San Francisco from 1997-1999, shows that with all the NEP’s in place of the 308 IDU’s studied, roughly only 30% report actually utilizing the programs. Conversely, 50% admit to reusing needles and sharing with someone else.
c. A report by the CDC shows that 21.3 million dollars (16.8 of which was from the government) was spent on syringes for SEP’s. Also, of the estimated 920 million-1.7 billion injections by IDU’s per year in the US, 29.1 million syringes are exchanged (~1.7-3%).
d. A study done in Hartford, Connecticut from 1997 shows that 26 pharmacy managers reported an incidence with IDU’s ranging from having to fill $0.50 orders for syringes during busy times, to being attacked with a syringe by an IDU. Out of the 25 pharmacies in Hartford only eight were willing to sell non-prescription syringes and within a year’s time, that number dropped to five.
e. There is a poor correlation between transmission of HIV/AIDS and IV drug use.
i. According to the CDC, Only 7% of male HIV contraction and 14% of female contraction is from IUD

3. Recommendations
a. We do not support the OTC supply of syringes which may be reused, thus defeating the purpose of the non-prescription regulation. If necessary, OTC syringes should only be supplied as the self-sheathing needles (with education on use) to prevent injuries and reuse among users.
i. “Implementation of a safety re-sheathable winged steel needle substantially reduced injuries among healthcare workers performing vascular‐access procedures. The residual risk of injury associated with this device can be reduced further with increased compliance with proper activation procedures.” http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/502174

I gotta say though, the prices on the syringes are a little too high at the chains. $3.50 for a 10 pack? Doesn't a box of 100 syringes cost only like $10?
Yeah, a box of 100 BD is like $20, less well-known names are ballpark 10-15.