systematic or literature review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvd5627

Reaction score
i am not affiliated with a hospital, residency training program or medical school at this time. i am trying to get back into a training program. i was given advice by a practicing addiction psychiatrist (where my interests are) to try to publish some sort of journal article. i have no experience doing this, nor do i have any affiliations as mentioned. i do have an idea/interest that is not researched. would anyone here be willing to speak with me about how i can go about doing a systematic or literature review and especially if doing one of these types of reviews would even be possible. i look forward to hearing from someone. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

1. You need to find a "mentor" who can teach you and make sure the your methods and analyses are rigor for scientific publication. The mentor needs to be affiliated with a medical school, and preferably in US

2. "i am trying to get back into a training program" Do you mean going to a residency? Are you an AMG or IMG. If you are an IMG, the USMLE scores, USCE and connections are very important. Publications can help a little bit but really not very much. If you do everything yourself without any mentor or people affiliated with academics, it is likely not publishable if you write your home address as correspondence

thanks. i will contact local (chicago, il) residency programs and hospitals to find a mentor. i am an IMG with partially completed residency training and few connections.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks. i will contact local (chicago, il) residency programs and hospitals to find a mentor. i am an IMG with partially completed residency training and few connections.

Do you mean partially completed residency training outside of US, or a US residency but you quitted for some reasons?

us residency. 1 year internal medicine, 2 years psychiatry. asked not to return due to substance use. now sober/clean since 2013. involved in insurance industry since 2014. want to get back to medicine now.