TA job on application Q!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jr doctor in sd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was just curious if everyone knew if med schools viewed WHICH course an applicant TA'd for as an important factor?

Let's say 1 guy TA's Cellular Neurobiology while another TA's Biology for non-science majors - is one looked at more favorably? Or is TA'ing viewed as a teaching experience, relevant of course?

I'm asking because I was offered a TA position to TA biology for non-science majors which, to my neuroscience courses, seems like a joke. The reason I am TA'ing this course is for TA experience and also because I plan to take the MCAT in a year - so I feel that TA'ing this course in Winter can refresh me on biology I have forgotten since 3 years ago in High School. Is this a good idea? Or should i apply for harder classes to TA? Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend that you TA for general biology. I TA'd for Gchem at my school the semester before I took the MCAT, and got a 15 in physical sciences. But Gchem is only half of PS, and not everyone who TAs does that well. If you are a good TA, you will gain a deeper understanding of the material and it will help you tremendously on the MCAT. Bio is the majority of BS, so I can only imagine that TAing for bio would be even better.

They both look fine. TAing an advanced course will show that you have a TA level grasp of the material, which is more impressive than having a good grasp on non-major material, but both experiences are fun. I've done both. In some ways, non-major bio is harder because you have to explain to students who may have NO background in the sciences, and you have to get creative at times to get it to sink in.