Tablet PC vs. Laptop for the first two years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just ordered my Toshiba Tecra M4 tablet PC. Grand total, including tax, was under 2k. Pentium M 2.00 Ghz processor, 1,536 MB RAM (yeah baby, 1.5 gigs), 14.1" SXGA+ display (that's 1400x1050 resolution), NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 with 128 MB video RAM, 100GB hard drive, all-in-one combo CD/DVD burner, 802.11 and bluetooth. Weight: 6.5 lbs. Oh god, how will I ever carry that back and forth to class... well, probably more easily than I currently carry my 9.5 lb Dell Inspiron 5150. I'm happy with all the power I'm getting. If it only had a Core Duo...

Members don't see this ad.

Rogue Synapse said:
Just ordered my Toshiba Tecra M4 tablet PC. Grand total, including tax, was under 2k. Pentium M 2.00 Ghz processor, 1,536 MB RAM (yeah baby, 1.5 gigs), 14.1" SXGA+ display (that's 1400x1050 resolution), NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 with 128 MB video RAM, 100GB hard drive, all-in-one combo CD/DVD burner, 802.11 and bluetooth. Weight: 6.5 lbs. Oh god, how will I ever carry that back and forth to class... well, probably more easily than I currently carry my 9.5 lb Dell Inspiron 5150. I'm happy with all the power I'm getting. If it only had a Core Duo...
I just played around with one of these yesterday in Best Buy. I was really impressed by the feel of the tablet functionality. :thumbup:

Hoooba said:
I really contemplated getting a tablet PC for a while but I really don't think I'll be able to study off it. I could never study off the powerpoint slides my professors posted on the internet. I need to physically have a piece of paper in front of me. So if I'm going to be printing the lectures anyway, I might as well forfeit the tablet PC. Yes, I know I'm hardcore crazy but looks like I'll be getting a new Macbook.

same here. So, for people who aren't planning to buy the fancy tablets, should we still get some regular laptop version of the toshiba or the lenovo? lenevo is still a PC and not a Mac, correct?

Also, how do you feel about ordering online from vendors that strictly sell online? I'm asking becaues it seems the cheapest deals come from obscure companies I've never heard of, and I'm wondering if my safest bet would be to simply order from a place like best buy. thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
lenovo is a company that bought out IBM. They make PCs.

Online stores often give you better prices, but sometimes they can mix up orders, give you something slightly different, or their customer service could be nonexistant. However, I've always had good experience the few times i've ordered things online.

bruinH2Oskier said:
what about if you want to load software or if you want to watch dvd's...then you have to deal with lugging around an external hard drive. anybody have an opinion on this. i know with the x41's you can buy their docking station,but that seems like such a hassel. also with the x41, i think it only has the pentium M 1.5ghz...is that enough. you can get it with a gig or ram though.

maybe i will just wait for the x60.

its not that you cant have a cd drive...its that if you get it its external. with ibms ultrabay slim option its really not so bad.

oompa loompa said:
same here. So, for people who aren't planning to buy the fancy tablets, should we still get some regular laptop version of the toshiba or the lenovo? lenevo is still a PC and not a Mac, correct?

Also, how do you feel about ordering online from vendors that strictly sell online? I'm asking becaues it seems the cheapest deals come from obscure companies I've never heard of, and I'm wondering if my safest bet would be to simply order from a place like best buy. thanks guys!

always use a credit card when buying online. that way if it's a scam, you're pretty much off the hook; and even if it isn't a scam, most credit cards nowadays come with free warranty extensions, plus you'll rack up the rewards points!

oh, and i love the concept of a tablet pc, but won't buy one until apple comes out with one - because i'm sure the one they'd drop would work flawlessly...

BAM! said:
I can say no to a fingerprint reader. They make sense for confidentiality, but a theif won't pass up stealing your laptop cause it has that extra layer of added security.

lol, i bought the fingerprint reader when i first got my thinkpad 4 years ago, and back then it had just came out, so not many people had it. needless to say, i looked like an idiot, so i stopped using it :laugh:

I purchased a Lenovo/Thinkpad X41 tablet last summer when they first came out. Yeah, it was a risk to purchase a brand new product line, but I was in the market and needed something. When you took out the fancy fingerprint scanner thingy it was the same price as a regular laptop with the scanner thingy (that's how I justified the extra cost).

It's by far the best purchase of my adult life. I use it constantly, take notes on it, work from anywhere and everywhere. The battery life can't be beat (you can purchase an extended life battery- I've clocked as long as 6.5 hours even with a gazillion programs running!).

BUT, there is a caveat. It seems that due to a student snagging powerpoint files and publishing them under separate cover, our professors now have this insane desire to publish all the powerpoints as pdfs. You can't take notes in a pdf - at least not until Adobe publishes a reader that will let you. I got around it by exporting the pdfs as jpgs and scribbling away to my heart's content. This has been my only source of frustration in an otherwise happy tablet owner's existence.

the laptop Vs tablet debate used to be valid, now it's extinct because convertable laptop / tablets are pretty much on par with the latest non-tablet laptops.

either get:
a laptop if you don't want the tablet features
a slate tablet if you won't use a keyboard much
a convertable (twisty top) if you're going to use the laptop and the keyboard
a convertable (slate + keyboard like a tc1100) if you're going to use the tablet a lot and the keyboard a bit too.

they're becoming cheaper now too. i'm considering either a tc1100 or lg's slim convertable.

I bought the IBM X40 and couldn't be happier. I actually don't like using a touchpad and prefer the Trackpoint anyway. I use the extended life battery and usually carry the default 4 cell battery with it, giving me about 7 hours of battery life.

I sometimes wish they had the tablet function when I bought my laptop. It's definitely nice to have the option, even if you don't use it all the time. Sometimes you just want to be able to draw a diagram or something into your notes. If you can learn to use the Trackpoint, I highly recommend the X41 tablet. Thinkpads are great, sturdy laptops, with the best keyboard I have seen in a laptop. It is light enough to carry around almost anywhere with a great battery life. You'll probably end up paying more, but it's well worth the peace of mind that your computer isn't going to randomly die.

You can probably get a USB DVD drive for when you need it, but I rarely need to use DVDs/CDs now anyway (though I do have a desktop at home - these aren't desktop replacements!)

oompa loompa said:

I decided to try to save $100 and ordered my laptop from zipzoomfly.com. Terrible experience...The laptop was "in stock" on the web site and I ordered with $3.99 two day shipping. They called two days later to verify the address...OK. A day later the order status changed from "processing" to "packed" (order cannot be cancelled). After two days of "packed" I called customer service...and got voice mail - no "please hold", just an answering machine with a beep! When I finally got a person, they told me the computer should arrive at their warehouse "any day" and would ship monday at the latest. By wednesday of the next week, the computer was still out of stock and my order was still showing "packed". :mad:
I cancelled the order, but they still haven't credited my card.

I ordered the computer at noon from newegg.com and it arrived the next day by 3 in the afternoon. There are good online only companies, but be careful.

Members don't see this ad :)
bodymechanic said:
... I ordered the computer at noon from newegg.com and it arrived the next day by 3 in the afternoon. There are good online only companies, but be careful.

I also used newegg but with 2 day shipping. Everything arrived when it was supossed to. They do call you when you place your order to verify your identity.

With regards to the tablet pc, I couldn't be happier :oops: This thing is awsome!

MaxPower said:
I bought the IBM X40 and couldn't be happier. I actually don't like using a touchpad and prefer the Trackpoint anyway. I use the extended life battery and usually carry the default 4 cell battery with it, giving me about 7 hours of battery life.

I sometimes wish they had the tablet function when I bought my laptop. It's definitely nice to have the option, even if you don't use it all the time. Sometimes you just want to be able to draw a diagram or something into your notes. If you can learn to use the Trackpoint, I highly recommend the X41 tablet. Thinkpads are great, sturdy laptops, with the best keyboard I have seen in a laptop. It is light enough to carry around almost anywhere with a great battery life. You'll probably end up paying more, but it's well worth the peace of mind that your computer isn't going to randomly die.

You can probably get a USB DVD drive for when you need it, but I rarely need to use DVDs/CDs now anyway (though I do have a desktop at home - these aren't desktop replacements!)

With the X41 (is that what you meant), do you see a problem with only 1.5ghz processor. how much ram do you have?

bump... this is a good thread for incoming M1's looking to purchase a tablet

lrchromy said:
BUT, there is a caveat. It seems that due to a student snagging powerpoint files and publishing them under separate cover, our professors now have this insane desire to publish all the powerpoints as pdfs. You can't take notes in a pdf - at least not until Adobe publishes a reader that will let you. I got around it by exporting the pdfs as jpgs and scribbling away to my heart's content. This has been my only source of frustration in an otherwise happy tablet owner's existence.

I have a Fujitsu 4020D Tabet and I love it! You can get around this whole jpg thing by getting the Tablet PC Education Pack (google for it) and downloading that... it has a straight-to-onenote printer, so you just "print" the PDF to onenote, and you can then write straight on it. I also have the OneNote 2006 Beta which has a onenote printer, but I mainly use 2003. Tablet is so cool!! Check out "Handle" s posts on how s/he uses the tablet. A great model to follow.

anon-y-mouse said:
I have a Fujitsu 4020D Tabet and I love it! You can get around this whole jpg thing by getting the Tablet PC Education Pack (google for it) and downloading that... it has a straight-to-onenote printer, so you just "print" the PDF to onenote, and you can then write straight on it. I also have the OneNote 2006 Beta which has a onenote printer, but I mainly use 2003. Tablet is so cool!! Check out "Handle" s posts on how s/he uses the tablet. A great model to follow.

:thumbup: Fujitsu 4020 for the win. Glad you're enjoying it.

Linkage to the old thread with a few posts about how I use mine and screenshots of the interface/notetaking stuff: http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=250036&page=2&highlight=tablet

I'm never going back to a regular tablet, and when I was researching the Fujitsu was hands-down the best model out there.

I'm just a sophomore, but I have found that buying a tablet was the best thing I could have done. I've been going for the whole paperless thing and it's worked out pretty well. I just ordered a new Gateway tablet with a Core Duo processor. I'm going to give the gateway tablet I have now to my best friend when the new one comes in. If some of you are still questioning, I would suggest going to www.tabletpcbuzz.com or www.studenttabletpc.com. They are really good websites and they have a wealth of information.

Handle said:
:thumbup: Fujitsu 4020 for the win. Glad you're enjoying it.

Linkage to the old thread with a few posts about how I use mine and screenshots of the interface/notetaking stuff: http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=250036&page=2&highlight=tablet

I'm never going back to a regular tablet, and when I was researching the Fujitsu was hands-down the best model out there.

i was reading around on tabletpcbuzz and other forums and read that 4020 gets really hot when you use it for a long time while plugged in ac. any comments from current users?

myrahu said:
i was reading around on tabletpcbuzz and other forums and read that 4020 gets really hot when you use it for a long time while plugged in ac. any comments from current users?

hmm... all laptops will get really hot -- having owned ibm, toshiba, hp, and now fujitsu, it's pretty much all the same... it's tolerable and 'warm', not burning hot.

A heads-up for anyone planning to buy a Lenovo (IBM) X41 soon: Lenovo's having a Dads and Grads sale right now. You get $300 off the X41 instantly, and a $200 mail-in rebate. This brings the price down to $1,399 for the base upper-end X41 (the one with the 60gig HD and better Wireless package. The lower-end X41 isn't eligible.)

Mine's costing me $1,479 after upgrading the ram, and would normally have been $1,979. :)

I am leaning towards getting a Lenovo ThinkPad X41 Tablet, but the 12.1 inch screen seems pretty small and I dont want to end up going blind :D . Does anyone have any input about this? Also, does anyone know of stores that actually carry Lenovos? I want to test drive one before I actually commit, but places like BestBuy etc. dont seem to carry them.

Just to let you guys know that toshiba is going to release the Tecra M7 tablet later on this year. I have a gateway tablet for about a 6 months now and I reall like it. I would really reccomend getting a tablet. For example during histo lectures, I could actually write on to where the professor was pointing at for a particular slide such as the fenstrated regions of the cappilaries. Also I reccomend converting your powerpoint slides into widows jounal b/c writing seems to be better with that program than with MS office. Hope it helps

DoctorDolittle said:
I am leaning towards getting a Lenovo ThinkPad X41 Tablet, but the 12.1 inch screen seems pretty small and I dont want to end up going blind :D . Does anyone have any input about this? Also, does anyone know of stores that actually carry Lenovos? I want to test drive one before I actually commit, but places like BestBuy etc. dont seem to carry them.

i just got the lenovo x41 tablet. i love it. it is definitely small but that is because it is built to be light and portable (4 lbs). its not too small and the resolution is fine. i recommend getting the higher end one because it comes with an 8cell battery rather than 4cell and built-in bluetooth. i cant get enough of this tablet.

the reason i went with lenovo is mainly because i dont trust laptops to be gfood/long lasting unless they are lenovo or apple (or MAYBE toshiba). also...its really light. i dont know of any stores that carry lenovo. its located in china.

I'll tell you one thing. hp sucks balls. I've just decided that.

etf said:
oh, and i love the concept of a tablet pc, but won't buy one until apple comes out with one - because i'm sure the one they'd drop would work flawlessly...

yeah, I'm a mac-convert as of 2 years ago, and I wish apple would make a tablet. My med school requires a laptop, so I have been debating getting a tablet, but how good is the recognition of your writing? I haven't looked too much into it, but it seems that there are 2 ways: one converts what you write into typed font, and the other is like doodling on a notepad? it seems that the doodling would result in HUGE notes, or unreadable tiny ones, and the conversion software may be pretty bad at recognizing my writing? At this point, I am leaning toward just sticking with my mac, because I figure in both cases, I have to learn to take notes in a new way. I've always been a traditional print-out and write.

How large does a tablet screen have to be in order to be useful?

12" is a good screen size, roughly paper size.

The handwriting recognition is pretty good too. of course it depends on how sloppy your writing is. I think if someone else can read it, then the computer can too. the recognition may be a little worse than this, but it's pretty good.

BAM! said:
12" is a good screen size, roughly paper size.

The handwriting recognition is pretty good too. of course it depends on how sloppy your writing is. I think if someone else can read it, then the computer can too. the recognition may be a little worse than this, but it's pretty good.

I can't read my own handwriting so that might be a problem. That being said there is a site I saw sometime ago that talks about the conversion software. It seems to be pretty decent as long as you adjust your handwriting just a little bit. It looks at the whole word and compares it...so even if you have a g that looks like a y it kind of reasons out that you aren't going to right "readiny" or something.

MossPoh said:
I can't read my own handwriting so that might be a problem. That being said there is a site I saw sometime ago that talks about the conversion software. It seems to be pretty decent as long as you adjust your handwriting just a little bit. It looks at the whole word and compares it...so even if you have a g that looks like a y it kind of reasons out that you aren't going to right "readiny" or something.

right, i've noticed that it does that. You can see is sometimes when you haven't written the whol word yet, the computer changes its mind.

MossPoh said:

right, i've noticed that it does that. You can see is sometimes when you haven't written the whol word yet, the computer changes its mind To find a word that fits.

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty clueless with respect to what a tablet does vs. a laptop, i.e. pros and cons? I definitely will be making a new purchase, as i have a 5 year-old dell laptop that needs to go.

Will someone help a poor ignorant soul out? Any suggestions for a good laptop (if i decide to do that) would be appreciated as well.

I just bought the ThinkPad X60s and it's incredible. It is so small and light. It doesn't have an optical drive built into the system itself, but it came with an "Ultrabase" (sort of like a tiny docking station) that has a DVD/CD burner in it. I pretty much just use my flashdrive on the go anyway, so the whole optical drive at home isn't a big deal for me - I only use it to install programs initially. It's pretty fast and it's got a bunch of cool features. The battery (I've got the extended one) lasts for 10+ hours! It's crazy.

I was just on the Fujitsu website to re-price out the t4020 and discovered IT WASN'T THERE! I guess they have a new generation out now, the t4210. Which is nice, but kinda stinks since I guess I'll end up paying about $300 more... I'm planning on calling tomarrow to see if the old models are still available (maybe discounted?-- my fingers are crossed on that one). Anyways just thought some of you might like to know.

I'd love to get a tablet, but they're so expensive it's just not something I can afford. Even macs seem affordable when compared to a tablet. If anyone finds a super deal on a tablet, be sure to post though - I'd love to get one if I could find a good one for close to 1k.

tkdusb said:
I'd love to get a tablet, but they're so expensive it's just not something I can afford. Even macs seem affordable when compared to a tablet. If anyone finds a super deal on a tablet, be sure to post though - I'd love to get one if I could find a good one for close to 1k.
Check out ebay for some great deals. I just saw a high-end HP tc4200 that reatails for ~$2000 go for $1000. Just make sure you know what you want (and get it) and check out the seller.

RxnMan said:
Check out ebay for some great deals. I just saw a high-end HP tc4200 that reatails for ~$2000 go for $1000. Just make sure you know what you want (and get it) and check out the seller.

HP is awful for laptops. never buy HP. that is my advice.

luhando said:
HP is awful for laptops. never buy HP. that is my advice.

I have an HP t4200 that I got off of ebay. I love it and have never had a problem with it.

For those folks that are just looking into a Tablet to write on your powerpoint slides, check out the microsoft office program called OneNote. It's a free download to try. It has a ton of cool features, but one of my favorites is that you can import powerpoint slides and then type/draw on them as if they were paper slides. You can type anywhere on the screen and there are no weird formatting issues. It is really like a paper notebook built into the computer. You can also take screen clippings of all types of files and incorporate them into your notes and write/type on them. OneNote also works great for tablet PCs, but normal laptop users can also really benefit. I love being able to type notes directly on top of ppt slides!

Medic_9 said:
I have an HP t4200 that I got off of ebay. I love it and have never had a problem with it.

in terms of longevity and reliability i would rate hp the worst out of any laptop company. thats all im saying.

does anybody have any info on the new gateway cx210x tablet?

Kimka83 said:
For those folks that are just looking into a Tablet to write on your powerpoint slides, check out the microsoft office program called OneNote. It's a free download to try. It has a ton of cool features, but one of my favorites is that you can import powerpoint slides and then type/draw on them as if they were paper slides. You can type anywhere on the screen and there are no weird formatting issues. It is really like a paper notebook built into the computer. You can also take screen clippings of all types of files and incorporate them into your notes and write/type on them. OneNote also works great for tablet PCs, but normal laptop users can also really benefit. I love being able to type notes directly on top of ppt slides!
This is THE reason why I'm getting a tablet.

I have a slate tablet from Motion Computing. They are actually one of the top tablet brands in the business. As Kimka was talking about, powerpoint with Onenote is just incredible, it's the most useful thing I use the tablet for, and is reason enough for me to buy a new one when the time comes (I've had mine almost 2years now).

There is also one more incredible feature about Onenote that most people don't know about, and that is it's ability to form note-taking networks. Two classmates join a virtual network that I start, and we all take notes on the same ppt slide. So when something is being explained, I can write down the explanation while my classmate draws the picture, and what we write shows up on each others computer.

It is definately worth the money, especially if you are planning on making the switch to a laptop. I would suggest getting a convertable laptop, and not the slate version I have. Mine is more portable, but it is slightly less convinient since it doesn't have a built in keyboard.

Hope that helps, good luck to those looking to buy. By the way, Motion and Toshiba are probably two of the best versions you can buy. Motion for the slate or Toshiba for the convertable...

I just ordered the new Toshiba Tecra M7 tablet. It should be plenty powerful for a while, and I'm hoping its ~6 lbs won't be too heavy (I've never had a tablet or laptop before). The M7 is one of the very few tablets w/ dedicated graphics, if that's important to you, although its NVS Quadro 110M isn't exactly a superstar card...

Toshiba also has some smaller (12") tablets. The larger (14" widescreen) Tecra M7 and Satellite R20 were released today.

Ok, now for an update:

For those of you who want a tablet, but are trying to save a little on cost, check out euclid computers. They aren't going to give you a huge discount, but they did save me a couple hundred dollars. I ordered the fujitsu t4210 through them today instead of buying through the online fujitsu store. I was able to get a better price than buying direct and there was no sales tax or shipping costs. (According to a rep at fujitsu, they are oversold on the t4020's and will not be making any more. I could still have ordered the t4020 through euclid, but since I wanted to customize it I was worried that even after a 4-6 week wait they would not be able fill my order.) Anyways, I'm really excited. This is my first non-desktop computer, and I've had to work quite a bit to make the extra money to afford it. I hope it helps out with note taking as much as I think it will. I'll let you know after I've played with it a bit...

For those who have or are getting the Fujitsu T4210, are you guys getting the cheapest (1700+) or are you getting the most hi-tech version (2Ghz, etc etc etc) worth over 2000 dollars?
$2349: 2ghz, 1Gb memory, 80 Gb hard drive
$1899: 1.83 Ghz, 512 mb memory, 60 Gb hard drive
$1729: 1.66 ghz, 512 mb memory, 40 Gb hard drive

How fast and how much memory will you really need for med school? My concern is these tablet PCs are really expensive and I don't want to pay more for things that I wouldn't really need. And what are your thoughts on the extended warranty coverage and the screen damage protection plan?

I apologize in advance for barely knowing anything about computers :sleep:

babybichon said:
For those who have or are getting the Fujitsu T4210, are you guys getting the cheapest (1700+) or are you getting the most hi-tech version (2Ghz, etc etc etc) worth over 2000 dollars?

How fast and how much memory will you really need for med school? My concern is these tablet PCs are really expensive and I don't want to pay more for things that I wouldn't really need. And what are your thoughts on the extended warranty coverage and the screen damage protection plan?

It depends what you aim to do..................If you are JUST using it for medical school/academic stuff then the cheap one should be fine. (You can always buy more ram and install it later or get someone else to if you need it) If you are a download fiend and love lots of music then you'll need a bigger hd without a doubt.....a gig of ram is beneficial too..I always try to get the most ram I can afford. The next version of windows will probably need a gig to be comfortable running. If you are just an email, word processing, occassional dvd person then the base one should work just fine.........Read over the warranty..sometimes they are a little sneaky as to what it works for. If you treat your computer nicely then screen protection isn't an issue..if you are like me and throw it around all over then you should consider it.... I don't have extended warranty on my current laptop and I KIND of regret it....i've had lots of problems pop up but really...if nothing happens then you'll feel it is a waste of money. If it is a problem computer then it'll be worth every cent...so it is up to you I guess

babybichon said:

I wanted this to be an investment that would last me for the next 5-7 years, so I customized mine. I took the mid level processor, the 80 Gb HD, and 1Gb memory. I also added two more years to the warranty, to make it 3 years total, but I couldn't afford the screen protection. The almost $400 price for the was too much for me to add on... I did add on the 3M screen protectors to save myself from scratches, though. I figure I will just be VERY careful. I also invested in a Tom Bihn Monolith bag that I can slide inside the backpack I already own. This seemed to provide the protection I wanted without the $160 price tag of a high end computer bag.