Tablet PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there own a Table PC? If so, is it conceivable to actually take it to class for notetaking, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about tablet PCs, but I can type lots faster than I can write. I'd prefer to take notes with a laptop with a keyboard.

Personally I doubt there is such a thing as text recognition software that will be able to translate my chickenscratches... Especially when the instructor is spouting info at 600 miles per hour and I'm getting hand cramps trying to keep up. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^ and the hand cramps will be even worse since you'll have to go back and correct the handwriting recognition mistakes. It happens with either palm or pocket pc to the point that you can only use it for short messages without frustration.

all tablets aren't that small, they come in 10, 12, and now 14 and 15 inch screens. they have convertable ones that are the same thing as a laptop with a keyboard and everything but also have the pen and digitized screen for writing. Also, you don't have to use handwriting recognition converting your notes to type, you can save it just as handwriting. from what i understand you can also annotate on lecture notes and things downloaded from online. the bigger ones have mostly the same processor and capabilities of a normal laptop. I do not own a tablet so i can't advise for or against it as to how useful it would be... i've just been researching computer options recently for when I go to d school. :)

^^^ Yeah you're right. I remember watching a presentation (by Microsoft) on Tablet PCs and Microsoft One Note Software, and I was actually amazed at the time at what it was capable of. Somehow I got the impression that they haven't quite realized the functionality they demonstrated at this presentation. I think that Tablets are definitely the way to go and in time they will replace conventional laptops (especially the convertable ones or even slates with something to protect the screen in transit). Right now they IMHO they're not at a point where I would be completely comfortable with one. However everyone has different opinions and different levels of comfort with new technology. I'm pretty sure my next machine will be a tablet.

Well, I still have my reservations.

For example, I was just reviewing my oral path handouts (soft and hard tissue lesions), and I got annotations crammed all over the margins. I'm talking words I've written on the margins about as small as what 4-point-size letters would look like printed on a printer. I doubt a stylus on a tablet PC will let you do that without having to do extra steps like zooming in or zooming out that one would not have to with a pencil. :D

On top of that, having to anotate on a computer then printing it out sounds like another extra step..

Old-school doesn't necessarily mean obsolete in my book.. I don't know where I'd be without my trusty Pentel 0.5mm mechanical drafting pencil with HB lead. :cool:

^^^I agree with you in that tablets currently have their issues and you bring up a good one regarding not being able to expect the full functionality of paper from one. I think that we will still need to use paper for the sort of fine detail that you describe, perhaps a combination of papaer and tablet pc might work. In my opinion I'd prefer to use only one; either digital or paper since I'd hate to look through both to find what I am looking for. Personally I'd wait a few years for a tablet PC. I do anticipate that this sort of 204 pixels per inch technology will become cheaper and applicable to tablets in a few years: http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=9503DG5&storeId=1.

I think together with a digitizer capable of such resolutions and a really thin stylus we might a good paper replacement. However, I won't believe it until I've had my hands on one and it really can match paper.

You might want to check out Tabletpcbuzz.com it's a great site for researching tablets. Go to the general discussion/student's thoughts thread. There's a couple med students who have described how they use their tablets. I just got a Toshiba M200 and I love it. It has very high resolution so there is a lot of screen real estate for notes. I also thought I read something on here about a dental school that requires the Electrovaya tablets...but who knows.

hey mocha, thanks for posting that website, it is great. very informative with everyone's opinions about this and that about their tablets :thumbup:. btw, i think the school you were talking about that issues all of their students electrovaya's is u of detroit mercy.

Tablets will fall by the wayside in a couple of years and be recognized for the fad that they are.

They don't fill a neccessary niche in the market, and therefore won't be around for long (at least not in their current state).

that would be cool, as long as handwriting recognition was good. i think i am going to go with a tablet next summer for dental school.