Tablet PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am looking to buy a tablet pc for internship. I am just looking for patient note writing( handwriting and then convert in to text). Any one have a recommendation. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.

I am looking to buy a tablet pc for internship. I am just looking for patient note writing( handwriting and then convert in to text). Any one have a recommendation. Thanks.

Not worth the purchase for that. I think you would find it to be cumbersome and eventually sitting in a closet.

Now, if you want it simply because you want a tablet PC then that's a different story, but I wouldn't purchase one on the premise you will use it to write notes during internship.

Just my two cents.

Thank you. I am not a fast writer as most people and my plan was to get my note ready fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend the "medical student" note-writing device. It ranges in size from 5-6.5 feet (ortho model), and can perform certain basic functions such as transcription, printing lab results, meal and dry-cleaning delivery, and serve as an alarm clock/ridiculous on-call page screening tool. Advanced models can be trained to present patients and take the blame for your mistakes.

So, is there any note-writing divice you recommend? I am looking something like OneNote, digital pen, or small tablet pc.
Thanks.

So, is there any note-writing divice you recommend? I am looking something like OneNote, digital pen, or small tablet pc.
Thanks.

I think you will find that nobody uses a "note-writing device" to write notes. In my years of medicine, albeit short, and limited to military hospitals I've never seen it.

One thing you have to consider is how you will transfer what you create to the actual patient note. In most larger military hospitals they are now using a computerized inpatient chart system. You can't plug anything into the USB ports, so you can't really import, so how would you transfer what you created into the chart? If your particular hospital was still using paper notes, how would you transfer your creation to a computer you could print from? Most hospitals don't have wireless so you can't email yourself. The only way I can think of would be to carry a bunch of CD-r and you'd have to burn every one.

Anyway, I think you will find you will do just fine. You really need to do some research into what type of note systems your future hospital has and if this is even feasible and that is beyond the "don't buy one for note taking" argument.

Thanks.

My advice...just wait and see once you get to where you're going. Some places still use paper charts while others are adopting EMR.

My hospital has just started electronic inpatient records...and wifi...and everyone has a tablet they can carry around and do their notes (not as fun as it sounds).

Thank very much for all of your advice. I will wait until I start my internship and I will decide after.. I hope I will have enough time to write a patient note in medicine ward except sometime when the ward is very busy. Even if it is busy, I will try to manage my time to take care of the writing.

Thank you so much again.

I hope I will have enough time to write a patient note in medicine ward except sometime when the ward is very busy. Even if it is busy, I will try to manage my time to take care of the writing.

Thank you so much again.

Essentris (the inpatient EMR utilized by the military) has a nice feature called "copy forward" which is useful. If you do this, however, please remember to actually read your note, and make changes to reflect what is actually going on with the patient now, rather than two days ago.

Hi.

Agree with the others -
Save your money - if you are working in a military facility you won't be able to use it for privacy and information security reasons.
My recommendation - learn Dragon voice recognition - take the time to learn it well and it will save you time as you can dictate into Essentris, or AHLTA. Knowing it well will let you create templates for use so you can paste in recurring text like patient instructions, standard physical exam templates etc. Your access to a tablet and Dragon will depend on your service. Army facilities are generally issuing a tablet which is secure and will load it with Dragon. A day invested learning/training it can dramatically improve our quality of life and satisfaction. My two cents.