Army PCS without completing BOLC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snotty24

Reaction score
I'm a female, army HPSP grad, and currently in residency. My husband and I are considering starting a family near the end of my residency. Due to the DCC changes, I have yet to complete BOLC. Normally I would complete BOLC before starting my first PCS, but I will hopefully be pregnant at the end of my residency (and deliver in the first few months of my first PCS). Pregnancy will obviously exclude me from BOLC, but will I still be allowed to start my first job without completing it? My husband and I want multiple kids, so is there a scenario where I never go to BOLC and serve my 4 year commitment without ever going to the training? I know you typically have 3 years post residency to complete it, but would that waiver just keep getting extended for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
BOLC is a requirement when you sign up. If you don’t go to bolc you won’t make promotions or advance your career. You won’t be deployable or do missions.

You have a certain number of years to complete Bolc. If you don’t, you potentially void your contract. Yeah you could probably keep getting medical exceptions for some time period before you get discharged.

Why can’t you do Bolc this year?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a female, army HPSP grad, and currently in residency. My husband and I are considering starting a family near the end of my residency. Due to the DCC changes, I have yet to complete BOLC. Normally I would complete BOLC before starting my first PCS, but I will hopefully be pregnant at the end of my residency (and deliver in the first few months of my first PCS). Pregnancy will obviously exclude me from BOLC, but will I still be allowed to start my first job without completing it? My husband and I want multiple kids, so is there a scenario where I never go to BOLC and serve my 4 year commitment without ever going to the training? I know you typically have 3 years post residency to complete it, but would that waiver just keep getting extended for me?
@snotty24 - @ValeRx is correct. You will have to go to BOLC. For reference - Read Army Directive 2022-06 I linked the Directive and the related regulations. Select the Directive PDF from the Army Publishing Directorate website.

Use the source documents for your research rather than unofficial websites. The MEDCOE page is likely out of date. Army Directives and Regulations indicate Professional Military Education (PME) for Officers requires attendance if pregnant or post partum with accommodations like No PT Test and time away for breast pumping.....

@snotty24 Consider communicating with your Military Residency PD and Specialty Consultant. They might be able to help you get BOLC scheduled and complete while in Residency to accommodate your family planning schedule at the end of Residency. You would likely have to extend your residency for some weeks but it may be better than attending BOLC while pregnant. Or, honor your commitment and attend BOLC when assigned.

Be careful if trying to avoid BOLC for your 4 years of 'payback' as it could impact your Incentive Pay.... because you are likely not deployable without BOLC (US Code) and IP indicates you must be fully qualified.

@snotty24 Consider communicating with your Military Residency PD and Specialty Consultant. They might be able to help you get BOLC scheduled and complete while in Residency to accommodate your family planning schedule at the end of Residency. You would likely have to extend your residency for some weeks but it may be better than attending BOLC while pregnant. Or, honor your commitment and attend BOLC when assigned.

Be careful if trying to avoid BOLC for your 4 years of 'payback' as it could impact your Incentive Pay.... because you are likely not deployable without BOLC (US Code) and IP indicates you must be fully qualified.

I wasn't HPSP but I did take HPLRP as incentive and you can't even attempt to apply for it until you complete BOLC. There may be similar restrictions on any incentives for you. My BOLC class had a relatively new mother who was still pumping during the course. Accommodations are made. There are several BOLC classes per year, you really have no excuse not to attend.

This is all helpful. Thanks for the information. Not trying to get out of BOLC by any means, so just trying to figure out how to get it all to work. I am in a civilian residency, so won't have the ability to do it during residency. Looks like I will be able to get it done even if pregnant though.

@snotty24 You're asking the right questions... especially if the answers impact incentives and family life. I still recommend reaching out to your specialty 'consultant' or whomever determines and schedules BOLC for HPSP in civilian residency to determine the best plan moving forward to get the dates that fit best. Check over at the HPSP facebook page - someone might have posted the BOLC dates for spring/summer 2023. It's possible you would PCS to your first duty station and attend BOLC TDY and return rather than TDY enroute to first duty station. You still have a couple years left until you complete residency right?

I think Bolc is 7 weeks long. There is a class that usually overlaps the start of residency years (may/June-july).

I believe ACGME only allows 6 weeks off per training year until you have to extend. You could consider taking the summer class and taking vacation time + leave.

I was reserve but did short Bolc during residency this way (4weeks). 2 weeks from PGY3 and 2 weeks from PGY4. Knocked it out and was Glad I didn’t wait until after residency.

Likely will use up all of one years vacation time which sucks, but that’s the army life. Anyways just food for thought.

Also, I thought one of the bests part of Bolc was the combatives training. I don’t know what they would do for combatives if you are pregnant, but you might miss out on some of the fun parts of Bolc.

Last edited:
I think Bolc is 7 weeks long. There is a class that usually overlaps the start of residency years (may/June-july).
The OP attended DCC already so might be eligible for the short course if it still exists, the shorter version that is with the current DCC class, or possibly the short reserve version because she is possibly IRR in a civilian residency. My info here is speculation.

I know some residencies are allowing BOLC to be considered a military medicine elective rotation so this would not take up your vacation days. That said, it's totally residency/PD dependent whether they'd allow this but this method could allow you to go during a civ residency.

Reactions: 1 users

You will need to do BOLC. Pregnancy will prevent you from attending as I don't think BOLC is one of the milEd courses you can take while pregnant or on pregnancy/post partum profile because there are several field requirements you must complete.

Without BOLC you are not AOC qualified. This will significantly hinder your promotion and your career. If you don't think the Army will separate you for not completing it within 36 months of commissioning you are sadly mistaken. MilMed is in a large reduction in force. They will cut you and boot you out if you don't complete it. A waiver once may be possible, but pregnancy is most of the time a planned medical issue. I wouldn't bank on getting much slack for it as you signed the contract.

I would get the class dates and figure out how to knock it out ASAP.

This is all helpful. Thanks for the information. Not trying to get out of BOLC by any means, so just trying to figure out how to get it all to work. I am in a civilian residency, so won't have the ability to do it during residency. Looks like I will be able to get it done even if pregnant though.

I was one of the fortunate recipients of the shortened course. This of course meant trying to go through three weeks of stupid power points while also studying for medical school, so there was a downside.

I didn’t actually find BOLC to be particularly stressful. It was very mild in comparison to my other training experiences. For you, the vast majority would probably be death by PowerPoint for 8 hours per day. The field training was similarly pretty mild.

When we weren’t in the field, we had weekends off. Overall, residency is harder and more stressful. It’s comparatively easy. The only tough part is the temporary loss of autonomy and decision making.

You will need to do BOLC. Pregnancy will prevent you from attending as I don't think BOLC is one of the milEd courses you can take while pregnant or on pregnancy/post partum profile because there are several field requirements you must complete.

Without BOLC you are not AOC qualified. This will significantly hinder your promotion and your career. If you don't think the Army will separate you for not completing it within 36 months of commissioning you are sadly mistaken. MilMed is in a large reduction in force. They will cut you and boot you out if you don't complete it. A waiver once may be possible, but pregnancy is most of the time a planned medical issue. I wouldn't bank on getting much slack for it as you signed the contract.

I would get the class dates and figure out how to knock it out ASAP.
@TheEarDoc You are correct... OP will need to attend BOLC. However, from Army Directive 2022-06 linked in my previous post... pregnancy/postpartum will not restrict the eligibility for officers to attend BOLC...
e. Professional Military Education (PME).
(1) Temporary profiles for fertility/pregnancy/postpartum will not restrict the eligibility for officers and warrant officers to attend and/or graduate from PME (such as Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC)–B, Captain Career Course, Command and General Staff Officer College, Army War College, Warrant Officer Basic Course (WOBC), Warrant Officer Advanced Course, Warrant Officer Intermediate Level Education, and Warrant Officer Senior Service Education). Nor will such temporary profiles restrict the eligibility for noncommissioned officers (NCOs) to attend the Sergeants Major Course (or equivalent course). The following provisions apply to the pregnant and postpartum officers, warrant officers, and NCOs attending the courses identified in this paragraph:
(a) These Soldiers are exempt from record physical fitness testing in accordance with paragraph 4b of this directive. The most recent record physical fitness test will be used to satisfy PME eligibility and graduation requirements. Soldiers who do not have a passing physical fitness test of record dated within the last 730 days (24 months) must receive a waiver from the school’s commandant.
(b) Medical Clearance. Pregnant Soldiers will be cleared, in writing, to attend PME by a healthcare provider. Postpartum Soldiers through the end of their postpartum profile (normally 42 days) will be cleared, in writing, to attend PME by a healthcare provider. Soldiers who are no longer on a postpartum profile do not require medical clearance.
(c) A pregnancy profile will not disqualify a Soldier from being selected as an honor graduate or commandant list selectee.
(d) The Commanding General, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (CG, TRADOC); Commanding General, U.S. Army Combined Arms Center (CG, CAC); and Commanding General, U.S. Army Special Operations Command (CG, USASOC), as applicable, will identify PME course physical requirements that cannot safely be completed while pregnant and cannot reasonably be waived. This responsibility will not be further delegated. Justification for any identified PME courses will be communicated to the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Manpower and Reserve Affairs) (ASA (M&RA)) prior to implementation. All other physical requirements for graduation will be waived in accordance with a pregnant/postpartum Soldier’s temporary profile and approved physical readiness training exemption period (paragraph 4b of this directive). Postpartum Soldiers who are no longer on profile will be required to complete all other physical requirements necessary for graduation.
(e) For any birth or perinatal loss event during a PME course, maternity or other convalescent leave will be granted but will not exempt any Soldier from completing any course requirements not explicitly waived by the pregnancy profile. Individual school absence policies must be flexible to accommodate birth events. Barring complications, birth events are predictable. The intent of this policy is to encourage pregnant Soldiers who are enrolled in a PME course to work with their Centers of Excellence and commandants to complete all course requirements in advance of or on return from leave to the extent possible to guarantee mastery of the course material.

@TheEarDoc You are correct... OP will need to attend BOLC. However, from Army Directive 2022-06 linked in my previous post... pregnancy/postpartum will not restrict the eligibility for officers to attend BOLC...
e. Professional Military Education (PME).
(1) Temporary profiles for fertility/pregnancy/postpartum will not restrict the eligibility for officers and warrant officers to attend and/or graduate from PME (such as Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC)–B, Captain Career Course, Command and General Staff Officer College, Army War College, Warrant Officer Basic Course (WOBC), Warrant Officer Advanced Course, Warrant Officer Intermediate Level Education, and Warrant Officer Senior Service Education). Nor will such temporary profiles restrict the eligibility for noncommissioned officers (NCOs) to attend the Sergeants Major Course (or equivalent course). The following provisions apply to the pregnant and postpartum officers, warrant officers, and NCOs attending the courses identified in this paragraph:
(a) These Soldiers are exempt from record physical fitness testing in accordance with paragraph 4b of this directive. The most recent record physical fitness test will be used to satisfy PME eligibility and graduation requirements. Soldiers who do not have a passing physical fitness test of record dated within the last 730 days (24 months) must receive a waiver from the school’s commandant.
(b) Medical Clearance. Pregnant Soldiers will be cleared, in writing, to attend PME by a healthcare provider. Postpartum Soldiers through the end of their postpartum profile (normally 42 days) will be cleared, in writing, to attend PME by a healthcare provider. Soldiers who are no longer on a postpartum profile do not require medical clearance.
(c) A pregnancy profile will not disqualify a Soldier from being selected as an honor graduate or commandant list selectee.
(d) The Commanding General, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (CG, TRADOC); Commanding General, U.S. Army Combined Arms Center (CG, CAC); and Commanding General, U.S. Army Special Operations Command (CG, USASOC), as applicable, will identify PME course physical requirements that cannot safely be completed while pregnant and cannot reasonably be waived. This responsibility will not be further delegated. Justification for any identified PME courses will be communicated to the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Manpower and Reserve Affairs) (ASA (M&RA)) prior to implementation. All other physical requirements for graduation will be waived in accordance with a pregnant/postpartum Soldier’s temporary profile and approved physical readiness training exemption period (paragraph 4b of this directive). Postpartum Soldiers who are no longer on profile will be required to complete all other physical requirements necessary for graduation.
(e) For any birth or perinatal loss event during a PME course, maternity or other convalescent leave will be granted but will not exempt any Soldier from completing any course requirements not explicitly waived by the pregnancy profile. Individual school absence policies must be flexible to accommodate birth events. Barring complications, birth events are predictable. The intent of this policy is to encourage pregnant Soldiers who are enrolled in a PME course to work with their Centers of Excellence and commandants to complete all course requirements in advance of or on return from leave to the extent possible to guarantee mastery of the course material.

Hmmm it would be interesting to see how that is handled with a lot of the field exercises. I remember BOLC-B being a lot of lifting and dragging of heavy dummies and stretchers etc..

Hmmm it would be interesting to see how that is handled with a lot of the field exercises. I remember BOLC-B being a lot of lifting and dragging of heavy dummies and stretchers etc..

The only physical requirement to graduate is to four-person carry a 200 pound dummy on a stretcher like 50m.