Take both COMLEX step 2 and USMLE step 2?

Started by DanYing
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DanYing

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an OMSIII and want to go into Internal Medicine. I'm thinking about opting out of the osteopathic match and only doing the allopathic match because I want to get my residency in the San Francisco area where there are only allopathic Internal Medicine residencies. Here are my scores:

COMLEX Step 1: 597
USMLE Step 1: 233

I initially was going to take both Step 2 exams, but my classmates tell me that it may not be necessary to take the USMLE step 2 when applying to allopathic residencies. They advised me to not "risk" taking step 2 as it can only hurt me unless I get an average score or a really good score. But won't it hurt my chances if I don't take it? Can anyone shed some light on the issue? Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!
 
Take it. If they want it, you'll have it done. If they don't require it, they'll see it as something you did to go the extra mile as an applicant. Step 2 is generally considered easier than Step 1 and most of what you study covers both. Study for the USMLE, review OMT, and do practice questions to get familiar with each exam. Questions, as you probably remember from step/level 1, are very different between the two tests.

Also, don't take the Step 2 CS. Just take COMLEX PE.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For IM in CA, I would take step 2.

If it was Psych/FP in CA, or IM in South Dakota I'd say Comlex 2 would be enough

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD