Take more science courses or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I received B+ (or better) in all of my science and math courses (so far.) Next semester, I am taking Orgo 2 and Physics 2 and taking Biochem over the summer.
(Hoping that I get B+ or better in those courses also,) do I need to take additional science courses in senior year? I am planning to apply to medical schools (mostly, DO) next cycle (summer/fall 2016.)
If so, does it matter what kind of science courses I take? (for example, Immunology vs. Human Reproduction and Development)

Members don't see this ad.

Take whatever you want, it won't make a difference.

If you're getting B+ and better on all of your sciences, why are you aiming for DO? There is no reason to believe that you can't put together a very competitive MD application, no?

Reactions: 1 users
No, assuming you have all the general pre-reqs and are taking biochem, you don't need anymore science courses unless particular schools you are interested in have those requirements (including perhaps "behavioral sciences" requirements (eg., sociology, psychology), but those schools are in the general minority). Each school is unique, so check to see what they want.

However, if you want to take particular sciences courses, take them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received B+ (or better) in all of my science and math courses (so far.) Next semester, I am taking Orgo 2 and Physics 2 and taking Biochem over the summer.
(Hoping that I get B+ or better in those courses also,) do I need to take additional science courses in senior year? I am planning to apply to medical schools (mostly, DO) next cycle (summer/fall 2016.)
If so, does it matter what kind of science courses I take? (for example, Immunology vs. Human Reproduction and Development)

No.

Take whatever you want, it won't make a difference.

If you're getting B+ and better on all of your sciences, why are you aiming for DO? There is no reason to believe that you can't put together a very competitive MD application, no?
I already took Psych and three Sociology courses. @BurghMed
I retook my Bio 2 and Physics 1 after getting F for the first time I took those courses; I thought you need to show that you are strong in science and that's why you NEED to take upper level science courses- No?

I already took Psych and three Sociology courses. @BurghMed
I retook my Bio 2 and Physics 1 after getting F for the first time I took those courses; I thought you need to show that you are strong in science and that's why you NEED to take upper level science courses- No?

You are thinking correctly, but many pre-meds (including myself when I was in college), were too convinced of a need to demonstrate biological science prowess. Too many students believe that admissions committees will scrutinize with incredible detail, the transcripts of applicants. This mentality essentially led me to becoming a biology major, even though I likely would've enjoyed another major more. If you do well in your pre-reqs and on the science portions of the MCAT (as well as say, do scientific research of any kind, although not required), very few schools, if any, will seriously question your abilities.

It can only help you to take an upper level science course (assuming a good grade) Edit: if you enjoy it. However, too many overestimate the need to take upper level bios. Don't fret over it even though other pre-meds will question such a decision. They know nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You are thinking correctly, but many pre-meds (including myself when I was in college), were too convinced of a need to demonstrate biological science prowess. Too many students believe that admissions committees will scrutinize with incredible detail, the transcripts of applicants. This mentality essentially led me to becoming a biology major, even though I likely would've enjoyed another major more. If you do well in your pre-reqs and on the science portions of the MCAT (as well as say, do scientific research of any kind, although not required), very few schools, if any, will seriously question your abilities.

It can only help you to take an upper level science course (assuming a good grade) Edit: if you enjoy it. However, too many overestimate the need to take upper level bios. Don't fret over it even though other pre-meds will question such a decision. They know nothing.
ditto to this

Thanks!
I am not a science major- that's why I was worried. I appreciate your input.