Take old or new 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medboy18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an upcoming sophomore this fall. I have finished all my premed prereq's. I will be applying for medical school towards the end of junior year in 2016... so hopefully matriculating in 2017.

Should I take the old or new MCAT? I have weighed the pros and cons and I am not sure which one to take.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the pros and cons you've weighed?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it depends on how confident you feel in the social sciences. I personally would have liked to take the new one because psychology and sociology were interesting and easy for me compared to physics, etc. I think my scores on that section and verbal would have been my best. If you feel better about physics/chem/bio and find social sciences boring, then I'd take the old one.

For what it's worth, friends of mine who had the social science trial section said it was really easy. Keep in mind this was a trial section, so I have no idea if it's representative or not and I can't say for certain how valid my friend's judgment of "easy" is, but just some additional information for you.

As long as you don't want to apply to Indiana or Louisiana then study for the old MCAT. If you are not confident by January then wait. Biochem on the new test is supposed to be hard.

For what it's worth, friends of mine who had the social science trial section said it was really easy. Keep in mind this was a trial section, so I have no idea if it's representative or not and I can't say for certain how valid my friend's judgment of "easy" is, but just some additional information for you.

I had a psych trial section and it was ridiculously difficult/specific. I don't know if they will keep those questions, but if they do, there will be a lot of rote memorization involved in preparing for the new sections...

Reactions: 1 users
To me the trial section was pretty much another verbal. If I had the option I would rather take the old MCAT, but only take it if you are prepared, don't rush. The new MCAT is definitely doable, but it's going to take a lot to prepare for it, specially if you want to do well.

I had a psych trial section and it was ridiculously difficult/specific. I don't know if they will keep those questions, but if they do, there will be a lot of rote memorization involved in preparing for the new sections...

Yep same here. Having only taken intro-level sociology/ethnic studies courses and NO psychology (except a physiology psych class), I found that a LOT of the questions were very specific (i.e. According So and So's theory on -insert concept-...). My particular trial section most certainly required an extensive amount of background information, perhaps almost as much as the BS section. Because of my unfamiliarity with the subject matter (and perhaps a combination of post-test laziness/fatigue), I blazed through the section by guessing on at least half. I ended up getting 50% correct, haha.

This could be an easy section for people who majored in psych/sociology (or who took at least a years worth of courses...), but for someone with an essentially pure bio background, it was tough! Pre-med programs across the country will have to integrate psychology and sociology into their programs for sure. Will all these changes make people more prepared for a career in medicine? Probably. Unfortunately, it's putting a big burden on people who are caught in this transitional period; most probably don't have much psych-socio experience - and they have such little time to get it.

So my advice:

If you don't have the prerequisite basic background knowledge in the new section and don't have the time to gain it, try to take the old version of the MCAT. However, seeing as you've completed your premed prerequisites as a sophomore (props on that by the way, I wasn't done till spring in Junior year) you just might have the time to fill in gaps in knowledge. You would be in one of the firsts groups to take the new MCAT next year, this can be good and bad...

If you want my honest opinion, you really need to hit organic chemistry and physics, which usually isn't completed until your sophomore year, and the huge help for me was biochemistry and physiology (take a high level physio if you can) that I took fall and spring semester of my junior year.

Waiting may suck, but in your case, I would assume that it'd be wiser for you to wait and truly learn the concepts, even the new ones (psych and sociology are fairly fun in my opinion...).

I APed out of physics and chemistry. Freshmen year I took Bio and Orgo. Got an A in orgo 1 and 2. In bio 1, I got an A. In bio 2, I got a B. My main concern is how would admission officers/deans perceived my MCAT score. When I apply to med school at the end of my junior year in 2016, most of the applicants will have taken the NEW MCAT and VERY FEW applicants will have the old MCAT.

Also note there are a few schools that are apparently going to stop accepting the old MCAT sooner than what would be indicated by AMCAS. Two are listed above and there might be more. It might be a good idea to contact your state schools and some others to see what they'll be accepting when you apply.

I would probably take the old one if I were you. I had a biochem trial section and I got destroyed. I had taken Biochem I (a class) recently, too. Now, my mind may have been shot by that time and it was just a trial section, but afterwards I was thanking God that I never had to study Biochem for the MCAT.

I APed out of physics and chemistry. Freshmen year I took Bio and Orgo. Got an A in orgo 1 and 2. In bio 1, I got an A. In bio 2, I got a B. My main concern is how would admission officers/deans perceived my MCAT score. When I apply to med school at the end of my junior year in 2016, most of the applicants will have taken the NEW MCAT and VERY FEW applicants will have the old MCAT.
I'm convinced that you'll do great if you take the old one. Just get it out of the way while you still retain much of your knowledge.

Or you can take Biochem, Psych, Sociology and possibly some Statistics and take it after your sophomore year (that's what I'm planning on doing but I haven't taken Physics yet so I wouldn't be able to take the old one anyway). I plan on studying for it during summer and take no classes at that time and then take it in August. So I think the answer depends on your course load this upcoming fall (whether you'll have enough time to prepare for it). I don't think med schools will hold your old MCAT against you. One thing I'm not sure is whether Gen Bio alone is adequate preparation for MCAT new or old.

Last edited: