Take Orgo 2 over summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yay or Nay? (and Why?)
(the professors who teach the summer and off track Orgo 1 and 2 are better than the academic year ones)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Moving to pre-allo proper

2. There's not going to be any real difference to medical schools. Do whichever suits you better.

While gonnif has stated in the past that there are ADCOMs who perceive summer courses to be easier than during the year and has shown some school policies that recommend not taking more than 1-2 pre reqs over the summer( I remember SUNY Upstate specifically) this by and large isn't an issue for one pre req course. Take it whenever you can and feel you can do best---it really shouldn't be a problem taking it in the summer if you need to

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you taking orgo at your regular university over the summer or are you going to do it at a CC? If you are doing it at your regular school it shouldn't make that much of a difference, although there may be schools that don't look on it as well as taking it in a fall/spring semester (as the above post said about SUNY)

@GrapesofRath @Pagan FutureDoc This will be my only science summer course as I am planning to take Biochem over the academic semester.
I will be taking it at my university, not at CC.

The only reason I am interested to take over the summer because I heard (and read official course evaluations) that the professor is really amazing compared to the academic semester one.

But will Orgo 2 over the summer be harder than the academic semester one?

I did Orgo 2 over summer. Best decision I made this semester. Orgo 2 during the regular semester is bloody hard for my friends.
Just to be clear I had an extremely hard professor for Orgo 2. and I took it over summer B. Our test average was 40% and no dropped test.
I failed the first one with a 55% and then got As from then on. A clean A was 88% (i.e., no minus), and thats what I ended up with.

during the regular semester my friends have to take the ACS (american chemical society) standardized test which counts as part of their grade. We didnt do this. also we sorta went did away with bad topics during the summer semester. Nothing was too in-depth, as we moved fast, and crunched as much general material as we could. It was extremely exhausting, thats all I would do all day long, but it paid off so much.
My friends are much smarter and struggling to get an A.

All this is coming from one university, so do more digging on yours need to be done. Overall I liked it. I feel biochem is something you take over a normal semester. Gives you time to ponder and is more representative on the MCAT. Orgo not as much, still present on MCAT, but loved getting it over and done with.

Reactions: 1 user
I took orgo 2 over the summer with the lab and loved it. It was more intense than a regular semester, but I had plenty of time to focus on the material. I did the same with biochemistry, and those two classes ended up being some of the best classes that I've taken with wonderful professors.

Reactions: 1 user