Take Step 3 before intern/ty year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chlorini

Just keeping cool in the pool...
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a MS4 applying to radiology this cycle. Is there any benefit to taking Step 3 as a MS4? Do you have to be graduated before you take it? After March I'm completely off until I start in July--I'm debating just studying 2-3 weeks full-time for it and taking it before I start my intern year so I can enjoy my time off (when I have it) and/or start studying for radiology.

I've been told to "just enjoy your time off!" but I'm a mom (it's not like I can go travel the world or anything) and we have to wait for my kids to finish school before we can move. Basically, I'll be bored lol. Any reasons not to do this? Do I need "permission" to take this, similar to Step 1 and Step 2, or can I just register?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm a MS4 applying to radiology this cycle. Is there any benefit to taking Step 3 as a MS4? Do you have to be graduated before you take it? After March I'm completely off until I start in July--I'm debating just studying 2-3 weeks full-time for it and taking it before I start my intern year so I can enjoy my time off (when I have it) and/or start studying for radiology.

I've been told to "just enjoy your time off!" but I'm a mom (it's not like I can go travel the world or anything) and we have to wait for my kids to finish school before we can move. Basically, I'll be bored lol. Any reasons not to do this? Do I need "permission" to take this, similar to Step 1 and Step 2, or can I just register?

Thanks!

You have to graduate first. Here's the eligibility link.

Reactions: 4 users
As stated above, you need to graduate first. You don't need any permission from anybody. If you have the opportunity to get it out of the way, I will advise to do so. I myself have kids and I regret that I didn't take it before starting residency. Residency is brutal. No time to even scratch my behind. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
As stated above, you need to graduate first. You don't need any permission from anybody. If you have the opportunity to get it out of the way, I will advise to do so. I myself have kids and I regret that I didn't take it before starting residency. Residency is brutal. No time to even scratch my behind. Best of luck

Thank you! Yeah I’m definitely trying to avoid doing Uworld in my free time... it sounds so miserable. Hang in there!

I'm planning on doing this as well. Graduating early May, studying in June, taking it sometime in July when I'll (hopefully) be on an elective block during my TY. The only thing I'm hazy on is that some programs will reimburse for "educational materials" AKA UWorld, and I'm not sure about buying it before starting residency

I'm planning on doing this as well. Graduating early May, studying in June, taking it sometime in July when I'll (hopefully) be on an elective block during my TY. The only thing I'm hazy on is that some programs will reimburse for "educational materials" AKA UWorld, and I'm not sure about buying it before starting residency

I actually asked this question at one of my ty/prelim interviews! They said they would reimburse me if I went there--I'm sure it's program dependent though. After I finish my rank list I'll probably e-mail my top prelims/tys and ask again (although it probably won't change how I rank them). You could also just wait until match day and ask then!

Most of my prelims would either pay for Step 3, pay for UWorld, or not pay at all. I didn't interview at any that would cover both Step 3 and UWorld unfortunately :(. A lot of programs seem to just deposit "educational funds" into that first paycheck--I wish I took better notes on the interview trail lol.

I actually asked this question at one of my ty/prelim interviews! They said they would reimburse me if I went there--I'm sure it's program dependent though. After I finish my rank list I'll probably e-mail my top prelims/tys and ask again (although it probably won't change how I rank them). You could also just wait until match day and ask then!

Most of my prelims would either pay for Step 3, pay for UWorld, or not pay at all. I didn't interview at any that would cover both Step 3 and UWorld unfortunately :(. A lot of programs seem to just deposit "educational funds" into that first paycheck--I wish I took better notes on the interview trail lol.

Smart thinking.

Only other thing I want to make sure is that step3 scores don't matter for (ophtho) fellowships

Smart thinking.

Only other thing I want to make sure is that step3 scores don't matter for (ophtho) fellowships

Ahhh....so you already had your match. Congratulations!

I am an IMG starting TY in July, and Radio in 2021.

My advice, if you have the chance to do it before starting TY, do it! I just got my score report today and it was the best feeling, as now I can start focusing on my residency and research alone.

Besides, I only studied around 3 weeks for it as I took right after interview season (for visa purposes).

In my opinion, there are 2 important factors for this exam: (1) how much you remember from the previous steps, and (2) how well you do on UW.
So do it as soon as possible, while you still remember steps 1 and 2CK!

Hope it helps :)

Thanks!

You need to graduate first. Also wouldn't recommend it without doing some internship first. Additionally I would suggest studying mor ethan 2-3 weeks full time - it's not that easy of a test.

Thanks!
You'll presumably be doing a medicine year, which is material that is directly relevant to Step 3. Easier to just do it as an intern - really only need to study part time for a few weeks, can be done when you're on a lighter month. Some programs even reimburse.

Regardless, you also need your diploma before you can register for it.

Reactions: 3 users
I also considered taking step 3 early in intern year, and start studying before residency when I have free time. But tbh, with the coronavirus outbreak, I don't think prometric centers are going to open any time soon. And I may have to wait until later part of my intern year to take the exam anyway. So I decided to just enjoy my time off.

I also considered taking step 3 early in intern year, and start studying before residency when I have free time. But tbh, with the coronavirus outbreak, I don't think prometric centers are going to open any time soon. And I may have to wait until later part of my intern year to take the exam anyway. So I decided to just enjoy my time off.

Agreed - most tests, including the steps, boards, etc have been cancelled/rescheduled/to be determined. it's hard to tell when things will improve.