Taken mcat +3 times

Started by mrab123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mrab123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Help I'm in a huge predicament. I have low MCAT scores and have taken it 4 times in the last three years.
5/27/08: V5, P7, B8 = 20Q
7/17/09: V6, P7, B8 = 21N
4/23/10: V6, P6, B7 = 19Q
9/3/10: V4, P8, B9, = 21P
I scored 26-29 on my practice scores and I'm not sure how I did so poorly especially on the verbal portion on the day of the exams. I've also taken a Kaplan course. I'm very determined to go to medical school and I don't want to give up. My GPA is 3.5, I have +500 hours of hospital volunteer hours, and I work as a pathology assistant. Would I still be able to get into the 4 Caribbean schools or DO schools with my stats? Should I retake the MCAT for the 5th time? Any advice is appreciated.
 
Do you feel like you studied more/harder between each retake?

and

Did you try applying broadly with your scores after each retake, or are you waiting for an upper 20's score before applying?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LebLlama- I studied more for the last two. I think my nerves took over me when I took it the third time and as for the fourth time, I don't know why I did so badly in Verbal because my practice test scores averaged at 8.

I didn't apply with my first three scores because I felt very discouraged. However, I'm in the process of applying for the big 4 this year for summer 2011 or fall 2011 to see if I have a chance.

Should I consider taking another test prep class and taking the test one more time if I don't get in this year??

Californian- For the big three which ones are you talking about between the 4 well known Caribbean ones--AUC, SGU, Ross, Saba?

Thanks for the advice!
 
Help I'm in a huge predicament. I have low MCAT scores and have taken it 4 times in the last three years.
5/27/08: V5, P7, B8 = 20Q
7/17/09: V6, P7, B8 = 21N
4/23/10: V6, P6, B7 = 19Q
9/3/10: V4, P8, B9, = 21P
I scored 26-29 on my practice scores and I'm not sure how I did so poorly especially on the verbal portion on the day of the exams. I've also taken a Kaplan course. I'm very determined to go to medical school and I don't want to give up. My GPA is 3.5, I have +500 hours of hospital volunteer hours, and I work as a pathology assistant. Would I still be able to get into the 4 Caribbean schools or DO schools with my stats? Should I retake the MCAT for the 5th time? Any advice is appreciated.

Well those scores aren't even going to get you into any of the good caribbean medical schools. It's surprising how misinformed people are and how they think that any score will get them into a "carib" school. I hate to break it you guys but it's not as easy to get in as you might think. Yes, it's easier, but some "carib" schools have standards too. No way, will a score of 20 get you in. Also, remember that those who're above 30 automatically get eliminated from the race. A very large number of applicants with lower scores (who think they can get in with any score) apply hoping to get in, and that's why the competition rises. August entering classes at SGU have about 27 and 3.2-3.3 avg stats. Some with 25-26 get in as well, but they usually have very high GPAs. Anything below that and you DON'T get directly into MD. You're usually then put in foundations (24-25 MCAT). Then again, there are people here with 32 as well who just couldn't get into US MD schools. But to expect to get in with a 20, is, IMO, taking it a bit too far.

I would suggest talking more simulated exams before taking another actual exam. You need a = or > 25 for SGU/DO schools. And if it hasn't been said enough number of times, always go DO before carib. 👍
 
schandan13- You have a valid point. There's no argument in your post. My scores are definitely worrisome and don't cut it for any medical school. I was just hoping for a glimmer of hope. Thanks for your honest feedback on my post.

wagy27- You're right, my scores validate that I should look into other careers instead. I think this time around, I will stop trying and look into something else. It's definitely depressing, but maybe everything happens for a reason.

Thank you all for your honesty and your time. I really appreciate it.
 
Yes, it's easier, but some "carib" schools have standards too. No way, will a score of 20 get you in. Also, remember that those who're above 30 automatically get eliminated from the race. ....

Anything below that and you DON'T get directly into MD. You're usually then put in foundations (24-25 MCAT). Then again, there are people here with 32 as well who just couldn't get into US MD schools. But to expect to get in with a 20, is, IMO, taking it a bit too far.

what do you mean by "remember that those who're above 30 automatically get eliminated from the race." Do you mean if their stats are too high, SGU deem them overqualifed and don't waste an acceptance? When applying to undergrad schools, there's a Tufts-effect, where 4.0 students with top SATs are automatically rejected because Tufts deem they could get into Ivy League.

Is the foundations something you need to indicate on the app form, or if I have 24 MCAT and 3.0 GPA, and don't get Direct M.D., I'm automatically offered a Pre-M.D. program like SGU Foundations or Ross MERP?
 
what do you mean by "remember that those who're above 30 automatically get eliminated from the race." Do you mean if their stats are too high, SGU deem them overqualifed and don't waste an acceptance? When applying to undergrad schools, there's a Tufts-effect, where 4.0 students with top SATs are automatically rejected because Tufts deem they could get into Ivy League.

Is the foundations something you need to indicate on the app form, or if I have 24 MCAT and 3.0 GPA, and don't get Direct M.D., I'm automatically offered a Pre-M.D. program like SGU Foundations or Ross MERP?

What I mean is that those who have scores above 30, are much above the average. So, these kids sometimes don't bother applying to offshore schools. They much rather go DO. Although there are some 30+ here, they're by no means a majority. So it's a questions of the student not thinking of SGU to be worth it, rather than it being the other way around.

As for the foundations program, it's NOT premed. It's a term you need to do if you have low MCAT scores. It's basically got all Term 1 classes with 1/5th their course load. It's a way of seeing if you can handle 1) being away from home on an island 2) med school workload (aka studying 12 hours a day). Once you clear the PMSCE at the end of FTM and have a 3.2 for the term, you advance to MD-1.
 
As for the foundations program, it's NOT premed. It's a term you need to do if you have low MCAT scores. It's basically got all Term 1 classes with 1/5th their course load. It's a way of seeing if you can handle 1) being away from home on an island 2) med school workload (aka studying 12 hours a day). Once you clear the PMSCE at the end of FTM and have a 3.2 for the term, you advance to MD-1.

hmm, the OP has a high GPA , if OP takes MCAT again, might get in MD-1. Or if be shelved into the Foundations Program or some other offer. Doesn't sound bad. I know SGU might be ranked higher than ROSS, AUC, so OP could have chance at MERP or whatever programs other schools have, if the other schools have Try-out-medicine-if-you-get-high-GPA-you-pass-to MD.

I think in terms of difficulty to get in SGU= low-tier DO~ = other Big 4 >> 2nd-tier >>> Eastern Europe/Asia's med program. They have great chance at other schools in developing countries (India , China)

The Federal loan can pay for the Foundations term? Term 1 classes with 1/5th their course load doesn't sound hard. Anyone should be able to make 3.2 there right, or they aren't cut out for 5X the work MD1 to MD4
 
Last edited:
hmm, the OP has a high GPA , if OP takes MCAT again, might get in MD-1. Or if be shelved into the Foundations Program or some other offer. Doesn't sound bad. I know SGU might be ranked higher than ROSS, AUC, so OP could have chance at MERP or whatever programs other schools have, if the other schools have Try-out-medicine-if-you-get-high-GPA-you-pass-to MD.

I think in terms of difficulty to get in SGU= low-tier DO~ = other Big 4 >> 2nd-tier >>> Eastern Europe/Asia's med program. They have great chance at other schools in developing countries (India , China)

The Federal loan can pay for the Foundations term? Term 1 classes with 1/5th their course load doesn't sound hard. Anyone should be able to make 3.2 there right, or they aren't cut out for 5X the work MD1 to MD4

Nope. Federal loans are not available for the FTM program. Students need to pay for it out of their own pockets. Our term (MD-1) had 80 students from the previous FTM term. That was out of 120 who initially started. Although, many students did go the DO route, there were many who couldn't make the 3.2 cut. Maintaining a high GPA in medical school is not as easy as one may think.
 
SO, I am a new member..I usually lurk, but this series of posts jumped out at me to say something...

mrab: maybe your mcat scores are not up to par, but why give up if becoming a doctor is something you really want to do? the caribbean schools (most of the time) look at the entire individual before making a decision to choose an applicant. schools here in the states look at numbers first, and then proceed to make their decisions...

you have to figure out what is holding you back, and really evaluate if you are capable of handling a medical degree..I can't tell you what to do, but hard work does go a long way. if there is something holding you back from the mcat, figure out what it is and tackle it. if you can't tackle it due to circumstances that you can't control (if you can't afford to take time off of work or you have no financial stability), find a way to be a doctor, even if it means caribbean. if you are a hard worker and will be able to study uninhibited in medical school due to the copious amounts of loan money (usually), then do it! you have to prove yourself to yourself, and once you do that. you are good to go. everyone is different, has different life circumstances and has a different ability to fight adversity.
 
It seems to me that you have some test anxiety. If your practice tests are significantly higher than your actual scores something must be going on during the real exam. Look into resources that can help you overcome test anxiety. GL with your journey and don't give up!
 
I think the OP needs to go for one on one MCAT tutoring by someone like a Princeton Review or Kaplan advisor. If this still doesn't raise the score, then I would not opt for trying to be a physician, because he/she is likely to fail or do very poorly on the USMLE tests, which must be passed to get into US residency. There's no shame in changing career goals...being a doc isn't necessarily for everyone and there are lots of other worthwhile careers...and that require less pain and personal sacrifice to get started.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To the OP,

Respectfully, I'm not sure you're getting the best advice here. It sounds like you are pretty serious about becoming a physician. There are many ways to go about this, and I think the carib route is a good one. Just because your MCATs are around 20 in now way means you won't make a great physician. Med school is about perseverance and organization of your knowledge. It has nothing to do with basic chemistry, physics or verbal. The MCAT is just a screening tool for med schools and nothing else. What is important is not wasting more time studying for the MCATs, in fact, apply to carib and DO schools now and see what happens.

Take it from someone who did the carib route and currently training in a competitive field at Hopkins. MCATs are NOT everything...your attitude and intestinal fortitude is! Feel free to PM me.
 
SO, I am a new member..I usually lurk, but this series of posts jumped out at me to say something...

mrab: maybe your mcat scores are not up to par, but why give up if becoming a doctor is something you really want to do? the caribbean schools (most of the time) look at the entire individual before making a decision to choose an applicant. schools here in the states look at numbers first, and then proceed to make their decisions...

you have to figure out what is holding you back, and really evaluate if you are capable of handling a medical degree..I can't tell you what to do, but hard work does go a long way. if there is something holding you back from the mcat, figure out what it is and tackle it. if you can't tackle it due to circumstances that you can't control (if you can't afford to take time off of work or you have no financial stability), find a way to be a doctor, even if it means caribbean. if you are a hard worker and will be able to study uninhibited in medical school due to the copious amounts of loan money (usually), then do it! you have to prove yourself to yourself, and once you do that. you are good to go. everyone is different, has different life circumstances and has a different ability to fight adversity.

Very good advice. Make the decision and then go for it. You'll never really know until you try.
 
Honestly, have you considered another profession. Failing scores, and no offense those scores are failing, 4 times is pretty demonstrative to me that you shouldn't be headed to medical school. Maybe RN/PA, maybe something else completely.

Honestly, don't do RN or PA unless you WANT to be an RN or PA. If you want to be a physician, prove to yourself it can be done...
 
All these tests are stupid and have little to do with being a good physician, but that doesn't change that you have to pass them. And at this point it I think it's safe to say the OP isn't good at it.

The MCAT is just the tip of the iceberg. You really want the OP to go sink a couple hundred thousand dollars into a Caribbean school and then not pass step 1? It's just more basic science multiple choice. And make no mistake, to get into residency as an IMG you have to do more than pass.

All the "follow your dreams" advice is warm and fuzzy, but the MCAT is only the first hurdle. You have to be able to do well on standardized tests to become a doctor, for better or for worse.
 
To the OP,

Respectfully, I'm not sure you're getting the best advice here. It sounds like you are pretty serious about becoming a physician. There are many ways to go about this, and I think the carib route is a good one. Just because your MCATs are around 20 in now way means you won't make a great physician. Med school is about perseverance and organization of your knowledge. It has nothing to do with basic chemistry, physics or verbal. The MCAT is just a screening tool for med schools and nothing else. What is important is not wasting more time studying for the MCATs, in fact, apply to carib and DO schools now and see what happens.

Take it from someone who did the carib route and currently training in a competitive field at Hopkins. MCATs are NOT everything...your attitude and intestinal fortitude is! Feel free to PM me.


Larry is a fellow and I am a premed, so I am speaking based on second-hand assumed information that I hope he will confirm or rebute, but....

the point that deems being stressed is one that has been brought up: a low MCAT may not mean you won't be a good physician, but a very low MCAT shows issues/weaknesses that will probably come back to haunt the OP during STEP 1....and STEP 2.....and STEP 3....possibly medical school exams....residency exams...and fellowship exams - if the OP even gets that far. An ADCOM member of a US MD school put it this way when speaking to a group of students in an SMP:

(to paraphrase) If you're considering going to the Caribbean, you can get a great education at SGU. But for your own sake, we rather you identify the reasons your application is lacking and work to fix those weaknesses now, so that they do not eliminate your chances of being a doctor when you're 20...50...100 thousand dollars more in debt and finished with years of medical school offshore with no backup game plan.​
 
Last edited:
(to paraphrase) If you're considering going to the Caribbean, you can get a great education at SGU. But for your own sake, we rather you identify the reasons your application is lacking and work to fix those weaknesses now, so that they do not eliminate your chances of being a doctor when you're 20...50...100 thousand dollars more in debt and finished with years of medical school offshore with no backup game plan.

Dr. Heinrich is the man! Great guy.