Taking a 3 credit hr grad course as an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted895369

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of picking out classes for the next semester and I really want to take this one graduate course called Efficient Chemical/Materials Synthesis (I'm a 3rd year chem major). However... I will have a total of 17 credit hours of pretty much pure chemistry (analytical, biochem, spectroscopic analysis) except for a blow-off psych class.
My GPA is doing well right now, but I'm worried that I will kill myself and jeopardize my GPA. But on the other hand, I am genuinely interested in this topic and it ties in to my materials science research I am doing currently.
Is this part of being a pre-med, having to forgo classes you really want to take in order to get all A's? Do I need to just shut up and play the game?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this part of being a pre-med, having to forgo classes you really want to take in order to get all A's? Do I need to just shut up and play the game?

Yes and yes.

This is part of LIFE too... there will be plenty of opportunities you turn down because they just don't make sense in pursuit of your larger goal.

Don't overextend yourself, even if it is something that seems cool or interesting. You'll kick yourself later.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately yea, there were a handful of courses I really wanted to take but didn't. One of these was a grad course a professor specifically asked me to take but I had to turn it down.. really was not ideal but is part of the sacrifice of pursuing medicine. Stay focused on your goal and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat as you this past semester - decided to drop a class that I was so excited to take (it was also a synthesis class). Honestly, despite how disappointed I was, I can say that it was a good decision for me. Not only for my GPA but for my mental health as well.

Well anyways, you could always add the class and feel it out for a week or so (depending on your school's add/drop policy).

take enough classes to keep a good GPA and maintain mental health, enjoy yourself. If you can do that with the added course then do it.