Taking a class not recommended a good thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering, does it look good if you take a class that wasn't on a school's pre-req list? What I mean by that is, I know that we'll have to take Bio-chem once we get into pharm school, but let's say that bio-chem isn't on the school's pre-req list. If we DO take bio-chem and do well, does that look good on our application, will pharm schools take that into consideration? Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

PharmEm said:
Hi,
I was wondering, does it look good if you take a class that wasn't on a school's pre-req list? What I mean by that is, I know that we'll have to take Bio-chem once we get into pharm school, but let's say that bio-chem isn't on the school's pre-req list. If we DO take bio-chem and do well, does that look good on our application, will pharm schools take that into consideration? Just wondering.

They most likely would, but even if they don't at least you'll some background in it and maybe it won't be as hard when you get to pharmacy school. Schools that I've looked into have a list of pre-reqs, then list other courses that are recommended but not required. Almost anything dealing with human biology would probably fall into that category.

Ever hear the saying "the more the merrier", that definately applies in pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
sarahjth said:
Ever hear the saying "the more the merrier", that definately applies in pharmacy school.

ditto, but esp. the more the SCIENCE courses, the better it even is (non-sciences are okay but sciences are extremely important! :thumbup: plus they're fascinating :) )

I had some animal science pre-vet courses on my transcript. I also had 3 histories instead of 2. and a few other extras like "intro to business" from way back in 2001 when i was a wee freshman unsure of what way to go.

I also took (Get this) o chem I twice and got an A in it both times. I took it once at a community college in massachusetts and had a good lecture but felt the lab was lacking. So I retook it to prepare for the O chem II lab.

I dont know if any of this impressed anybody

aubieRx said:
I also took (Get this) o chem I twice and got an A in it both times. I took it once at a community college in massachusetts and had a good lecture but felt the lab was lacking. So I retook it to prepare for the O chem II lab.

I dont know if any of this impressed anybody

How was it taking organic 1 the second time? I am taking it now and I have to retake it next semester even though I am getting an A+....no fair...it's slightly different (more emphasis on amines I think)....but was it dreadfully boring the 2nd time or did u get to feel like a smartass?

As long as your not taking a class titled, "How to Sue your Healthcare Practitioner", any school will look favoribly on it. (Especially science classes)

laura_mideon said:
How was it taking organic 1 the second time? I am taking it now and I have to retake it next semester even though I am getting an A+....no fair...it's slightly different (more emphasis on amines I think)....but was it dreadfully boring the 2nd time or did u get to feel like a smartass?

Why do you have to retake it?

Taking it for the second time wasn't bad. I knew alot more than everyone else going into it so I was kind of relaxed. The two professors I had were radically different though so it wasn't the same thing twice.
The first professor stressed understanding things over memorization and the second professor was really big on blindly memorizing the notes. Between the two of them I think I learned o chem I pretty well.

The lab was (as I had anticipated) much more difficult than the community college one so I do not consider retaking that class a waste even though I did not have to. Also the first professor did not discuss benzene stuff and the second one did.

I don't think taking additional classes beyond the requirements matters too much. I asked the admissions director about this at UGA, and they said they would look only at the required prereqs. I have a feeling most colleges would think this way. It certainly wouldn't hurt having extra courses, but I honestly don't think it adds a big plus either. Besides, what if your degree is already in the sciences?

I think laura_mideon is going to be forced to retake it since she's entering a pharmacy program and her existing course either doesn't exempt it, or this one is 99% what you did before and 1% special, and they want you to retake it. As you can see, I have a problem with run-on sentences.

I'm in the same sort of position, where I did my prerequisites, we took 1 year of general chemistry, which consister of about 2 months of organic chemistry. The pharmacy school I'll be attending has their first year non-pharmacy students take a .5 general chemistry course and a .5 organic chemistry course. Thus, they're going to force me to take their first year .5 organic chemistry course which will cover a number of topics I've already completed.

PharmEm said:
Hi,

As long as you can take your pre-reqs and do well in them, any thing else is a plus in my eyes. In my case, I wasn't set on the "Pre-Pharm" track until the middle of my second semester so I had to take 3 years to complete all the pre-reqs. There were gaps in there when I had open space (like for example I couldn't take Organic II til I completed Organic I or couldn't take Physics II before I) so in the open space I incorporated Anatomy, Human Growth & Development, a Chemistry research class, etc.

The point is, if you have extra space and need to fill it, fill it with something that interests you and is driven towards the field, like a research class or something. Anything will help you. I'm not sure if it actually "looks" better on the application, because some schools only want your pre-reqs and your grades in those classes. But if you have time, go for it! The more you do, the better prepared you will be :) Best of luck!

SomeGuy said:
I think laura_mideon is going to be forced to retake it since she's entering a pharmacy program and her existing course either doesn't exempt it, or this one is 99% what you did before and 1% special, and they want you to retake it.

Exactly