Taking a letter grade or S/U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm graduating this semester and I just got my grade back for some of my classes. I already changed my grade for my molecular genetics (elective) class to satisfactory and I'm thinking about doing the same to another biology elective as I will have a B. Would it look weird to have two S's in a semester or should i just keep the B. I've had a few S's in the past but they were only due to a few research internships and a letter grade was not optional. Otherwise, my other classes at the moment are letter grades. I plan to apply to dental school in the summer so I wasn't sure how schools may view these possibly 2 S's. My gpa is a 3.515 for reference and honestly, a part of me wants to do the S for the sake of not wanting to put any more effort (senioritis much), but I can't help but be hesitant about 2 S's. Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

No evidence, but I feel like when schools see Ss they probably don’t think you got a B and chose to make it an S, they probably think you gotta a C or worse and changed it to S. I say leave it as a B, but I suppose an S has a decent amount of merit for gpa and wouldn’t be the awful

Reactions: 1 users
Unless it makes a huge difference in your GPA, I definitely would keep your grade. During COVID a lot of schools only accepted P/F only if you had no option to receive an actual grade. Which tells me that they don't look fondly upon P/F

In my opinion I don’t think a S/U option will hurt you. Many many dental schools themselves allowed S/U option for their dds students because of covid