Taking a vacation before my MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, if anyone can offer any advice, it would much appreciated.

I was planning to take the MCAT June 18th or July 8th. Technically this a retake. I'm taking three classes this semester, which includes microbiology lecture and the laboratory component (its treated as a separate class), as well as an intro class. I also plan on scribing one day a week next month.

My family wants to go on vacation out of the country at the end of May for at least a week. I told my family it wasn't a good idea for me to go, and now they're all super angry with me. I told them to go without me, but they won't do that. Am I being crazy or is this the right decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, if anyone can offer any advice, it would much appreciated.

I was planning to take the MCAT June 18th or July 8th. Technically this a retake. I'm taking three classes this semester, which includes microbiology lecture and the laboratory component (its treated as a separate class), as well as an intro class. I also plan on scribing one day a week next month.

My family wants to go on vacation out of the country at the end of May for at least a week. I told my family it wasn't a good idea for me to go, and now they're all super angry with me. I told them to go without me, but they won't do that. Am I being crazy or is this the right decision?

July 9th test date, a 1 week vacation 9providced you can bring some resources with you) will not make much of an impact if you keep up with studies part-time.

The May 18 test date would make it more of a problem, but not a deal breaker. Again, where do you plan to be at that point in your studies? If you have some content review left and smaller practice items, you can squeeze it in w/o much a problem. if you are at the stage of taking full lengths or longer section tests, you will need to set aside longer blocks of time for effective, worthwhile preparation. If this is the case I would see what is available where your family is going.

In the end, they will forgive you should you choose not to go, but it is do-able, even the June 18th date.

Hope this helps, good luck!