Taking a Withdrawn in a Class After Medical Leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWannabeMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was hoping for some help making a decision. So sorry for the long post.

So, I was a first semester sophomore in college after a freshman year of getting a 4.0. I was taking organic chemistry 1, and then had to leave quite quickly about 2 weeks before finals because of a medical condition that I could not stick around with for 2 more weeks (Trust me, if I had had my way I would have stayed but my doctors all said I really had to leave). For full transparency, I have been battling anorexia for 6 years and this semester, it really hit the fan medically and I had to get treatment. I then spent 2 months in an inpatient center and now am in a partial hospitalization program that is 5 days a week. It has been about 3 months since I have even touched orgo, as my treatment program did not want me focusing on anything other than getting better.

I have an extension to take all of my finals until this coming June. However, upon looking at all of my orgo notes, I am incredibly overwhelmed by the content. I would spend many hours a day studying for orgo, going to countless office hours and honestly working my butt off. I got a good grade on my first exam but mid 70s on my second two exams due to my health and mental state, and my lab grade probably ended up poorly due to my lab final being a disaster because I was so sick, but I haven't actually gotten the grade from that given to me yet. Additionally, I do not remember content especially from the last month I was in school, again due to my health and mental state.

I am trying to decide which would look better on a medical school application - a probably poor grade in orgo, or a withdrawn grade. The other 3 courses I took were A&P 1, nutrition, and an internship for academic credit at a top rated hospital. I know my internship I will get an A in, A&P I might skirt by with a B+ if I do well on the final, and nutrition as well. I feel like these are 2 classes I can realistically relearn content in as it is a lot of memorization, whereas orgo is relearning and reteaching myself how to do problems in every single unit and every concept. I imagine that I will get a poor grade on the final given that I will be taking a final with ACS questions exclusively which are even harder than the questions my professor gave us on regular exams.

I would plan on retaking orgo 1 if I took the W, as I know I would not be well prepared to take orgo 2 after so much time off. Plus, my school only offers orgo 2 in the spring semester, so I'd really have a year in between orgo classes, which sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. The thing is, I might also transfer to a school where orgo 2 is offered in the fall, but even so, that is a large gap to be taking from orgo.

Any and all insight/advice is greatly appreciated. I am not trying to make an sort of excuses for myself, I just need to figure out what to do with this class given the circumstances of still being in treatment, the grade I might receive, and what may look better on a med school application.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I was a first semester sophomore in college after a freshman year of getting a 4.0. I was taking organic chemistry 1, and then had to leave quite quickly about 2 weeks before finals because of a medical condition that I could not stick around with for 2 more weeks (Trust me, if I had had my way I would have stayed but my doctors all said I really had to leave). For full transparency, I have been battling anorexia for 6 years and this semester, it really hit the fan medically and I had to get treatment. I then spent 2 months in an inpatient center and now am in a partial hospitalization program that is 5 days a week. It has been about 3 months since I have even touched orgo, as my treatment program did not want me focusing on anything other than getting better.

I have an extension to take all of my finals until this coming June. However, upon looking at all of my orgo notes, I am incredibly overwhelmed by the content. I would spend many hours a day studying for orgo, going to countless office hours and honestly working my butt off. I got a good grade on my first exam but mid 70s on my second two exams due to my health and mental state, and my lab grade probably ended up poorly due to my lab final being a disaster because I was so sick, but I haven't actually gotten the grade from that given to me yet. Additionally, I do not remember content especially from the last month I was in school, again due to my health and mental state.

I am trying to decide which would look better on a medical school application - a probably poor grade in orgo, or a withdrawn grade. The other 3 courses I took were A&P 1, nutrition, and an internship for academic credit at a top rated hospital. I know my internship I will get an A in, A&P I might skirt by with a B+ if I do well on the final, and nutrition as well. I feel like these are 2 classes I can realistically relearn content in as it is a lot of memorization, whereas orgo is relearning and reteaching myself how to do problems in every single unit and every concept. I imagine that I will get a poor grade on the final given that I will be taking a final with ACS questions exclusively which are even harder than the questions my professor gave us on regular exams.

I would plan on retaking orgo 1 if I took the W, as I know I would not be well prepared to take orgo 2 after so much time off. Plus, my school only offers orgo 2 in the spring semester, so I'd really have a year in between orgo classes, which sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. The thing is, I might also transfer to a school where orgo 2 is offered in the fall, but even so, that is a large gap to be taking from orgo.

Any and all insight/advice is greatly appreciated. I am not trying to make an sort of excuses for myself, I just need to figure out what to do with this class given the circumstances of still being in treatment, the grade I might receive, and what may look better on a med school application.
A medical withdrawal will not reflect poorly on your application. So, withdrawing from OChem I, repeating it next year to get a solid foundation, and being well poised to do well in OChem II is the better choice.

I agree, you should be able to do very well next semester in Orgo I, having already learned some of the material. I would never take Orgo II without a strong grasp on Orgo I, and I would never attempt the MCAT without a strong grasp on both. Take the time and do it right! Good luck.