taking a year off while still an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchipcookie

yummy yummy doodlepie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been thinking about things that i want to do and i think the only way to really make them happen is if i take a year off while i'm an undergrad. so this would probably mean taking a year between junior year and senior year.

i want to do a semester of the disney college program and i want to do a semester of studying abroad. i'm considering these 2 together as being a year off because none of the credits i'll take during study abroad will count at my home school and i don't really get credit through the disney one. i may not even study abroad; i might just live somewhere and do research or volunteering or something for a few months.

i'm already planning on applying to dental school a year or 2 late as is, so timing of applying etc isn't really a big deal. my question is how would dental schools view this? technically they're internships and study abroad, so it IS educational and not just me farting around for a while... thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your college offer study abroad programs? I have some friends that studied abroad over China and was able to get credit for it. She was a biology major and was accepted into PT school this year. I think if you can still work towards your degree while being able to go abroad it shows you are capable of handling many tasks. I say this because to me it might be hard to get back into studying after a year off. Id suggest finishing off your undergrad then if you want take that year off to casually study, volunteer, and relax. So that what you do get back you wont have to worry about finishing college.

Members don't see this ad :)
tamhle - it does, but i transferred in with the maximum allowed units, which means that any coursework overseas would be through that school and therefore wouldn't transfer back. i'll probably do study abroad through an in-state public so i don't have to spend too much money. i think i'll be okay going back after a year "off". i have a ton of credits (sadly only 75/100ish only count at my school lol and i'm a rising junior, so i'm kind of ahead in the grand scheme of things), so i think it might actually be good to take some time to myself since i've been doing class nonstop

seattle - thanks! that's what i wanted to hear haha.

but just in case, any other opinions?

Why do you want to do that? Are you tired of school? Take an year off after graduation, you may lose your momentum if you decide to go on vacation for one year. I don't know, what else to suggest.

i think its a really good idea, it's a big decision and you are passionate about it. so long as your grades are good during your first 3 years, and you come back and get good grades for that 4th year

i'm not tired of school (and if i do study abroad, i'd still be taking classes... and even disney has some free classes that you can take in the program and i can take classes through tulane or whatever); i just feel like i'm missing out on some key college experiences. i had to up my game and focus on transferring in the beginning (fresh/1st semester soph year) and then i just completed my first semester at my new school. i took classes during every summer and winter session, hence my huge number of credits. because of doing all those things, i never got to (and won't ever get to) study abroad or do an internship. what i'm lacking is time, so i thought this might be a good (and possibly the only) way to make that happen.

alright, so say i go ahead with this. is study abroad and disney a good plan? i think it's a fun mix of things - experiencing a new place that i'd never otherwise get to live in (i'm thinking africa or asia, since i know i'll visit europe as an adult) and then i love disney, so i could have some fun while working on people skills and whatnot.