Taking a "Year Off"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmills66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whoo hoo, this is my first post! First of all, I have to say that there is some great information on this board that has really helped me so far. The question I have is regarding the year I'm planning on taking off between undergrad and D-school. I'm a senior and am planning on applying this spring and was wondering if taking a year off is seen as a negative in the admission process? I just want to take a year off for myself and do some fun things like ride my bike across the country and travel...of course I will also have to throw in some work in there to. Just seeing what you all think. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

it's fine, no one looks down on it. however, make sure you're smart about it, which means keeping some things in mind..

1. take the DAT asap, while all the info is fresh in your mind
2. since you will have all the free time in the world, apply asap as well
3. its not really time off per se until you're done with your interviews and get accepted, which will prob be around 2010 already... so you technically have ~6 months off. applying is almost a part-time job!

other than that enjoy your time off while you can before hell starts (or so i heard) :D

i personally regret taking time off.. as i can't stand sitting around. no idea time would go by THIS slowly lol

Don't some schools not allow you to take a gap year?

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of my friends did this. I think it is a pretty good idea considering if you did get in, you're in for some tough work for another 4 years. So what the hey, take some time and enjoy youth. :)

Whoo hoo, this is my first post! First of all, I have to say that there is some great information on this board that has really helped me so far. The question I have is regarding the year I'm planning on taking off between undergrad and D-school. I'm a senior and am planning on applying this spring and was wondering if taking a year off is seen as a negative in the admission process? I just want to take a year off for myself and do some fun things like ride my bike across the country and travel...of course I will also have to throw in some work in there to. Just seeing what you all think. Thanks.

This is what I am currently doing right now. I traveled the summer after I graduated and then I got a job in a dental office in September. I wanted to do more traveling but since I was accepted late I have had to hold off on those things. I thought it was a great break from school and was able to spend alot of time with my family and friends. If you take a year off just make sure you are doing worthwhile things so that you can continue to show your interest in dentistry!

I took a year off from school too, except my year off was was working full-time - not seeing the world. :thumbdown:

I dont think adcoms look down on it. Enjoy your time off just try to do something dentistry related during this time - maybe shadowing?

Have fun and best of luck.

When someone goes through a stressful experience they usually require some time off to clear their head, regain focus, and recover from the pain and suffering. Of course, in white culture these experiences are most often defined as finishing high school, making it through three years of college, or working for eleven months straight with only two weeks vacation and every statutory holiday (”they don’t count because I had to spend them with family.”)

Though you might consider finishing school or having a good job to be “accomplishments” many white people view them as burdens. As such, they can only handle them for so long before they start talking about their need to “take a year off” to travel, volunteer, or work abroad.

It is most common for the person taking the year off to use this time to travel (see Post #19 for reasons why). Generally, they will start off with a set amount of money that will use to travel for as long as possible. This explains why a white person with an $800 backpack will haggle with a poverty-stricken street vendor about a $2 dollar plate of food.

If you work with this person, be sure to give them a FAKE email address on their last day on the job or you will be inundated with emails about spiritual enlightenment and how great the food is compared to similar restaurants back home. Also, within the first five days following departure, this person will come up with the idea to write a book about their travel experience. Sadly, more books about mid-twenties white people traveling have been written than have been read.

Some of the more enterprising white people will extend their time off by working abroad as a bartender, ski lift operator, or english teacher. Their stories, emails, and publishing plans will be identical to the previous white person but will include additional stories about working and complaints about “tourists.”

Finally, there is the white person who takes a year off to volunteer at home or abroad. Though they are equally likely to write long emails about their experience, these people are often using the experience as an excellent resume pad for their application to law school. This way they are able to put off real life without the crippling derailment of a career or education.

Regardless of how a white person chooses to spend their year off, they all share the same goal of becoming more interesting to other people. Sadly, the people who find these stories interesting are other white people who are politely listening until they can tell their own, more interesting story about taking a year off.

Thankfully, there is an enormous opportunity for personal gain. You see, whenever a white person takes a year off it opens up a valuable apartment, job opportunity or admissions slot. Consider it to be the most pretentious form of affirmative action.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009/01/11/120-taking-a-year-off/

Make sure you plan it to take 1 year off....not screw up and take 2 years off since the application cycle takes a full year.

So do not leave right after graduation and be like ill deal with this stuff next year and the come back in May of next year and start applying and then you have to fill a whole second year. Unless you want to do that
I guess you'd know a lot about that huh...

I'm being forced to "take a year off," seeing as I have just have just 1 waitlist, a bunch of rejections, and some nothings. I've been saving my money since freshman year for a round-the world trip, that will occupy 3 months, then I'll find some kind of job doing something somewhat applicable to science/dentistry...hopefully something that pays OK, however jobs in Hawaii tend to have crappy pay. As much as I would have liked to go right into D1, I guess it wasn't meant to be, so I'm going to try to refresh my head with my time off.

I took a year off between college and D-school, but only because I was not educated on the procedures and requirement until after it was too late. Anyways by one interview the interviewer kept getting on me about taking the year off asking me if I am insecure or something because I took a year off. He was very persistent but I kept answering him that I took a year of so that I can concentrate on studying for the DAT and so that I will have time to Interview and not sacrifice grades and class time. I don't think he bought it but I was accepted to the school so I guess he was just having a little fun with me. The school was actually my #1 choice so I was a little nervous that I wasn't gonna get accepted.
Point being that you should just make sure that you have a good reason prepared as to why you took a year off because someone will ask you about it.

Loving how the psuedo-racism is making its way out on this thread

"When someone goes through a stressful experience they usually require some time off to clear their head, regain focus, and recover from the pain and suffering. Of course, in white culture these experiences are most often defined as finishing high school, making it through three years of college, or working for eleven months straight with only two weeks vacation and every statutory holiday ("they don't count because I had to spend them with family.")

Though you might consider finishing school or having a good job to be "accomplishments" many white people view them as burdens. As such, they can only handle them for so long before they start talking about their need to "take a year off" to travel, volunteer, or work abroad.

It is most common for the person taking the year off to use this time to travel (see Post #19 for reasons why). Generally, they will start off with a set amount of money that will use to travel for as long as possible. This explains why a white person with an $800 backpack will haggle with a poverty-stricken street vendor about a $2 dollar plate of food.

If you work with this person, be sure to give them a FAKE email address on their last day on the job or you will be inundated with emails about spiritual enlightenment and how great the food is compared to similar restaurants back home. Also, within the first five days following departure, this person will come up with the idea to write a book about their travel experience. Sadly, more books about mid-twenties white people traveling have been written than have been read.

Some of the more enterprising white people will extend their time off by working abroad as a bartender, ski lift operator, or english teacher. Their stories, emails, and publishing plans will be identical to the previous white person but will include additional stories about working and complaints about "tourists."

Finally, there is the white person who takes a year off to volunteer at home or abroad. Though they are equally likely to write long emails about their experience, these people are often using the experience as an excellent resume pad for their application to law school. This way they are able to put off real life without the crippling derailment of a career or education.

Regardless of how a white person chooses to spend their year off, they all share the same goal of becoming more interesting to other people. Sadly, the people who find these stories interesting are other white people who are politely listening until they can tell their own, more interesting story about taking a year off.

Thankfully, there is an enormous opportunity for personal gain. You see, whenever a white person takes a year off it opens up a valuable apartment, job opportunity or admissions slot. Consider it to be the most pretentious form of affirmative action."

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009/01/11/120-taking-a-year-off/

If you click on MichaelVicksDog's link, you will realize that he (if he is, in fact, a "he") is posting the content of this website, verbatim. MichaelVicksDog, when making a direct quotation, it is common practice amongst people (people in general, not just white people) to offset the quoted text in quotation marks, otherwise it's considered plagiarism. I've done it for you. No thanks are necessary! I am happy to play the SDN schoolmarm role. I actually found myself thinking that your post was very clever, if mildly offensive, but once I found out that you didn't even write it, I wasn't offended anymore.

BTW: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/12/99-grammar/

Last edited:
My year off is going great, I'm very happy I chose to apply when I did. When I was on interviews I felt so bad for the applicants who had to fly back to a midterm or paper due the next day. It definitely reduced my stress level to be able to schedule things and take and extra few days in some of the cities I went to with no worries. I'm working part time and travelling/visiting friends who live far away. No one ever asked me about what I'm doing on my year off at any of my interviews or asked if I'm doing anything dental related (answer: nope). I'm giving my brain a break and am really looking forward to returning to student life in the fall.

Why don't you just worry about getting your stats up so you don't have to worry about what white people are doing? As long as you keep your GPA up and do good on your DAT it doesn't matter.

Why don't you just worry about getting your stats up so you don't have to worry about what white people are doing? As long as you keep your GPA up and do good on your DAT it doesn't matter.

hell you don't even have to get it up as high as we do! pff

I took a year off and I'm glad I did. It is well worth it. I got a job at the airport as a baggage handler but I got unlimited free flights in the u.s. and next to nothing flights around the world. It also helped me during my interviews with free flights and really cheap hotel rates/rental cars. If you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed, take a break and travel. Apply to all your schools then travel and wait for interviews.

Totally take some time off. I am starting dental school in the fall after 3 years break from undergrad. I spent one year doing a master's, one year traveling the world and doing volunteer work, and this last year pretty much doing nothing other than taking care of my sick grandmother. I would highly recommend time off - every interview I went to, my interviewer commented that they really like older students because they are more mature/grounded/know what they want in life.

I'm planning on taking a year off as well!
I want to surf - EVERYWHERE!
Hypothetically speaking... let's say you take your DAT in the middle of 2011 and graduate in 2012. How long do your DAT scores last? one year?? Is their anyway you could apply for 2014 and get accepted? Or is the application process like an immediate thing? I.E. in this situation you'd be applying for 2013 and you only have that option.

Has anybody had this experience?
Sorry if this is a dumb question... But I play hockey and I verbally committed to a school when I was only a junior. I'm just wondering if graduate school might somehow work the same way. (Probably not, but I figured I might as well see). Also, the fact that your future is set in stone is relieving as well ya' know what I mean? I'd be much more relaxed and I could really "find myself" ;) if I didn't have to worry about applying to school...

Totally take some time off. I am starting dental school in the fall after 3 years break from undergrad. I spent one year doing a master's, one year traveling the world and doing volunteer work, and this last year pretty much doing nothing other than taking care of my sick grandmother. I would highly recommend time off - every interview I went to, my interviewer commented that they really like older students because they are more mature/grounded/know what they want in life.

I am glad to hear that you mentioned your interviewer like older students because they know what they want in life. I just left my PhD program a few weeks ago and finally decided to settle down with dentistry (it is a long overdue decision). Anyway, right now I am just studying hard on DAT and try to learn back all the materials from college. I have to relearn all over org chem, ekkk. Wish everyone luck :)