Taking additional classes during dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Badgers2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am fortunate enough to be accepted into a dental school, is it possible to take undergraduate courses at that university as well (assuming this school is part of an undergraduate university)? What I'm thinking is that I'm a Spanish major who would like to continue to take classes in the language to maintain my exposure level. Is this even possible/recommended with the heavy workload of dental school? Would I just be better off finding ways to use my Spanish in the community/clinics/friends? I just worry that my abilities will diminish if I don't continue to speak regularly.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be really difficult and not worth the effort. I would try to continue speaking Spanish (not sure what the demographics of your dental school area are) by perhaps volunteering in clinic and the community.

Reactions: 1 users
Dental school in Puerto Rico?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just audit the class? No grades, no pressure, more undergrads looking at you like a sugar daddy/momma

Reactions: 1 user
that's a little far-fetched. Even getting a tutor would be less of a hassle/investment than having to take full blown course.
I'd say save your energy for better things you can do. Plus, you will have enough things to study for, and enough techniques you have to learn, so it will keep you busy.

Reactions: 1 user
Great question! I am interested in learning spanish as well, but I feel like dental school alone will already be a lot, so I'm not sure how much time you'll have to take classes outside of your dental classes.

If I am fortunate enough to be accepted into a dental school, is it possible to take undergraduate courses at that university as well (assuming this school is part of an undergraduate university)? What I'm thinking is that I'm a Spanish major who would like to continue to take classes in the language to maintain my exposure level. Is this even possible/recommended with the heavy workload of dental school? Would I just be better off finding ways to use my Spanish in the community/clinics/friends? I just worry that my abilities will diminish if I don't continue to speak regularly.
I don’t know if taking Spanish classes is the best way to keep up with your Spanish. But as far as taking classes while in dental school, it is definitely possible. You should think long as hard as to whether or not you want to add more stress to your life, but one of my classmates got his MBA while in dental school and I completed a certificate of public health during my 4th year.