You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Taking ALL medical school prerequisites at a Community college? bad idea?
Started by Bananas99
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I have a tricky situation here. I don't know if anyone has been in the same situation before. So I am a college graduate with a B.S. in Pharmacology and Toxicology and I transferred from a foreign country to University at Buffalo in my junior year. I only took upper level courses there to finish my bachelor's. I wanted to stay for an extra year to complete my pre-requisites for medical school with my bachelor's but my parents couldn't afford an extra year of out-of-state tuition. I took a year off and worked as a pharmacy technician but it still isn't enough to pay for taking my classes at a 4-year school.
So I am considering a cc to take them. My only concern is how will it look if I transferred from a 4-year school to a cc? Does it put my application in a negative light? I am going to appear for MCAT this september. I don't really have any pre-health adviser.
Any advice?
So I am considering a cc to take them. My only concern is how will it look if I transferred from a 4-year school to a cc? Does it put my application in a negative light? I am going to appear for MCAT this september. I don't really have any pre-health adviser.
Any advice?
I have a tricky situation here. I don't know if anyone has been in the same situation before. So I am a college graduate with a B.S. in Pharmacology and Toxicology and I transferred from a foreign country to University at Buffalo in my junior year. I only took upper level courses there to finish my bachelor's. I wanted to stay for an extra year to complete my pre-requisites for medical school with my bachelor's but my parents couldn't afford an extra year of out-of-state tuition. I took a year off and worked as a pharmacy technician but it still isn't enough to pay for taking my classes at a 4-year school.
So I am considering a cc to take them. My only concern is how will it look if I transferred from a 4-year school to a cc? Does it put my application in a negative light? I am going to appear for MCAT this september. I don't really have any pre-health adviser.
Any advice?
You can explain the reason for transferring to a cc in your application. It's not a huge deal, everyone understands money pressure. Since you already have a B.S. maybe you can look into post-bac coursework instead? Night classes at local 4 years, etc?
Also....this is an impressive thread bump! Props for looking for the answer to your question on an existing thread though 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did cc after bombing undergrad. I still got multiple osteopathic interviews and quit when my top acceptance came in.
Hi so I know this is a super old thread. My friend graduated from our State University with a non science major and is now considering doing her post baccalaureate courses at a CC. She has to work full time to support herself and doesn't really have time to comute to the State University. Plus CC is cheaper Would this be shooting herself in the foot?
Hi so I know this is a super old thread. My friend graduated from our State University with a non science major and is now considering doing her post baccalaureate courses at a CC. She has to work full time to support herself and doesn't really have time to comute to the State University. Plus CC is cheaper Would this be shooting herself in the foot?
Your friend should be fine. I know a number of people that did post bacc at a community college and matriculated. If I recall correctly, there are only a few schools that do not accept CC credits-- MSAR should have this information.
Looking through this thread I have mixed feelings.
I am a mom to 3 kids and was a ballerina. I just discovered my passion and excitement for becoming a doctor, working through all I've had to in those areas. My question is, what if I get an Associates Degree and then transfer to a 4-year University for a major in BioChem or a science major? I haven't seen much about people getting a 2-year degree and transferring to a University and then their route to Med School.
I feel like if I actually get a degree in CC and get A's, then it might show dedication. I don't know. My CC doesn't cut corners either. Equally hard classes.
I plan on just taking Intro to Chem, Bio 1, Envr, Physics 1 as my sciences needed, and English Comp 1 & 2, and Intro to Psych or Intro to Soci, College Algebra and Stats at the CC. And then everything else needed I'd take at University.
I am a mom to 3 kids and was a ballerina. I just discovered my passion and excitement for becoming a doctor, working through all I've had to in those areas. My question is, what if I get an Associates Degree and then transfer to a 4-year University for a major in BioChem or a science major? I haven't seen much about people getting a 2-year degree and transferring to a University and then their route to Med School.
I feel like if I actually get a degree in CC and get A's, then it might show dedication. I don't know. My CC doesn't cut corners either. Equally hard classes.
I plan on just taking Intro to Chem, Bio 1, Envr, Physics 1 as my sciences needed, and English Comp 1 & 2, and Intro to Psych or Intro to Soci, College Algebra and Stats at the CC. And then everything else needed I'd take at University.
Looking through this thread I have mixed feelings.
I am a mom to 3 kids and was a ballerina. I just discovered my passion and excitement for becoming a doctor, working through all I've had to in those areas. My question is, what if I get an Associates Degree and then transfer to a 4-year University for a major in BioChem or a science major? I haven't seen much about people getting a 2-year degree and transferring to a University and then their route to Med School.
I did this. So did many of my classmates. Not the majority. Usually non-trads. Legit route.
I feel like if I actually get a degree in CC and get A's, then it might show dedication. I don't know. My CC doesn't cut corners either. Equally hard classes.
I plan on just taking Intro to Chem, Bio 1, Envr, Physics 1 as my sciences needed, and English Comp 1 & 2, and Intro to Psych or Intro to Soci, College Algebra and Stats at the CC. And then everything else needed I'd take at University.
I didn't read all this, but you don't need to get the degree from CC to show dedication if you are transferring to a 4 year for a bachelors. I didn't.
Don;t take that to mean I approve of your course plannings, I didn't read that far. There's other posts recent, probably even from me, on the nitty gritty of how I split up my courses.
I did this. So did many of my classmates. Not the majority. Usually non-trads. Legit route.
I didn't read all this, but you don't need to get the degree from CC to show dedication if you are transferring to a 4 year for a bachelors. I didn't.
Don;t take that to mean I approve of your course plannings, I didn't read that far. There's other posts recent, probably even from me, on the nitty gritty of how I split up my courses.
Thanks for your advice! I'm only needing to get an associates because it can complete the core requirement for most bachelor degrees at a 4-year, despite the transfer pre-reqs needed and to get into that university. It's also cheaper this route and with a full family it might be best. Idk, I figure after this year I'll see what all I can manage and what our family dynamics are. I'd rather just get the required transfer credits needed to transfer and go early without an associates. But I can't if it's still too expensive. :/
Thanks again!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 842
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K