Taking back on shadowing a doctor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vi0linm0nster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to scout for doctors to shadow over winter break (which is in 2 weeks) so I sent out a bunch of emails to my connections and two of them got back to me... one emergency medicine and one family medicine. I’m opting in for the emergency med doc but what do I say to the family med one? This also isn’t him personally, I just know a pharmacist that conveniently asked him for me. I don’t want to give the impression of wasting the pharmacists effort and I also want to keep this option open in case I want to shadow the fam med doctor another time.... any good excuses/explanation anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been trying to scout for doctors to shadow over winter break (which is in 2 weeks) so I sent out a bunch of emails to my connections and two of them got back to me... one emergency medicine and one family medicine. I’m opting in for the emergency med doc but what do I say to the family med one? This also isn’t him personally, I just know a pharmacist that conveniently asked him for me. I don’t want to give the impression of wasting the pharmacists effort and I also want to keep this option open in case I want to shadow the fam med doctor another time.... any good excuses/explanation anyone?
Do both.
I'd actually prioritize FM for now because (1) you need primary care shadowing for your app, you don't absolutely need EM.
I agree.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don’t have much going on over winter break and they’re flexible(one doctor wanted me there 3-4 days a week for less weeks rather than once a week for a longer period of time during the school year) then just do both.

Two is one and one is none. Do both In case one can’t provide a strong letter.

I'm only around the area for winter break for 2.5 weeks, and I will be shadowing one of them for at least 1 week. I am also applying in June so I'm also writing my personal statement during this time, which I want to make sure I have ample time for. Do I just tell the other doctor that I will be shadowing someone else...? I don't want to sound rude.

You don’t need a week shadowing in the ER. You do need some primary shadowing for your application. FM may not be as glamorous as EM but you do need that experience and lots of people end up choosing FM. This isn’t rocket science. Do both! Oh and unless you are going to apply DO you don’t need a physician letter!

Reactions: 1 users
I see you've already applied but just for posterity's sake...shadowing basically never results in a strong letter. Only get a physician letter if you have to from a DO or if you have something from an extensive, longitudinal experience like scribing where you're not just standing around watching other people do stuff.

Thats completely fair to say. I was just speaking from personal experience where i built a really good relationship with a physician at a family clinic while i had a very surface relationship with another physician at a different clinic.

Reactions: 1 user
If you really can't or don't want to shadow the PCP you can just shoot him or her a quick e-mail saying that you actually can't because of a conflict with another commitment.

They will likely be neutral or happy to not have you shadowing them TBH.