Taking biochem and physics 2 over summer while studying for MCAT. Doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

initialize

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August or September of this year; however, I'll be taking biochem and physics 2 over a condensed summer semester, which will obviously be somewhat rough. Add MCAT studying on top of that, and I'll pretty much be studying all summer...

Does this look doable though? I figure taking physics 2 and biochem will be "kinda" like studying for the MCAT anyway, since those materials are obviously on the MCAT. Plus, those subjects should be fresh on my mind by the time the summer semester ends.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I never joke. It's not what you want, it's what will serve you best. Physics 2 + biochemistry + MCAT and do well in all three over the summer???

:rofl:

No. Anyone who tells you otherwise wants you to set the curve so low in Physics 2 and biochem or to fail the MCAT so you're not competition for them.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last question. What about just taking biochem over the summer while studying for the MCAT? Of course, I'd have to learn the physics 2 material on my own...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Low MCAT will haunt you. Gap year wont. Just a really bad idea.

If you not respect this beast (MCAT) you will be found out.
Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

The answer to this question will depend on your prior preparation. Taking biochem and physics II over the summer will allow you to not have to do MCAT review for those subjects because you will already know them from the class (assuming you're studying well for the class). That leaves general chemistry, organic chem, biology, and psychology/sociology. If you have a strong preparation/background in chemistry, you can probably breeze through those and get started on practice passages and FLs soon.

It's not undoable, but in order to do that and do well, you will have to have had a strong science preparation. To put it in perspective, I studied for the MCAT while working in lab and writing a thesis. But I was able to breeze through anything chemistry-related because of my background. All in all, I probably put in a total of 4-6 weeks of studying, on average 2-3 hours/day.

Last question. What about just taking biochem over the summer while studying for the MCAT? Of course, I'd have to learn the physics 2 material on my own...
If you already had physics 2, I'd say yes, biochem + MCAT prep is doable but without the physics 2, I think you just leave yourself out. To me (!), physics 2 was far more important than physics 1 on my exam; orgo was limited, biochemistry was everywhere, gen chem 1 was limited, gen chem 2 was there.

Proportions on my exam by section:

CP
Physics 2 = 25%
Biochem = 25%
Gen chem 1 = 5%
Gen Chem 2 = 15%
Physics 1 = 5%
Orgo 1 = 15%
Orgo 2 = 5%
other = 5%

CARS
hahahahahahaha

BB
Biochem = 35%
Research methods = 20%
Biology/Physio = 45%

PS
Psych = 15%
Soc = 80%
Biology = 5%

Pain is temporary. MCAT is forever. In your case, the pain = gap year. I really don't see how you can do all 3 or even 2 + self study the 1 and do well.

That comes from someone who thought she could... as Aldol said, if you have a background like him, maybe your situation would be different and you could do it. Just hate to see you back here in October saying you have to retake a 507 or something when if you'd pushed it back you'd have gotten the 512+ ... those 5 points are huge.

EDITED:

I think you could do the biochem via self-study and take physics 2 + MCAT. @Roayer (is gonna get sick of me tagging him) but I think he had a selection of biochem chapters from LEhninger's or something that people use; also Khan has everything you'd really need to know for the MCAT including AA's, enzyme analysis, research methods, various metabolic pathways, etc.

For pathways, I just draw... actually for all of biochemistry, I draw... makes everything easy to remember and picture when tested.

BUT!!!! I still suggest gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
If you already had physics 2, I'd say yes, biochem + MCAT prep is doable but without the physics 2, I think you just leave yourself out. To me (!), physics 2 was far more important than physics 1 on my exam; orgo was limited, biochemistry was everywhere, gen chem 1 was limited, gen chem 2 was there.

Proportions on my exam by section:

CP
Physics 2 = 25%
Biochem = 25%
Gen chem 1 = 5%
Gen Chem 2 = 15%
Physics 1 = 5%
Orgo 1 = 15%
Orgo 2 = 5%
other = 5%

CARS
hahahahahahaha

BB
Biochem = 35%
Research methods = 20%
Biology/Physio = 45%

PS
Psych = 15%
Soc = 80%
Biology = 5%

Pain is temporary. MCAT is forever. In your case, the pain = gap year. I really don't see how you can do all 3 or even 2 + self study the 1 and do well.

That comes from someone who thought she could... as Aldol said, if you have a background like him, maybe your situation would be different and you could do it. Just hate to see you back here in October saying you have to retake a 507 or something when if you'd pushed it back you'd have gotten the 512+ ... those 5 points are huge.

EDITED:

I think you could do the biochem via self-study and take physics 2 + MCAT. @Roayer (is gonna get sick of me tagging him) but I think he had a selection of biochem chapters from LEhninger's or something that people use; also Khan has everything you'd really need to know for the MCAT including AA's, enzyme analysis, research methods, various metabolic pathways, etc.

For pathways, I just draw... actually for all of biochemistry, I draw... makes everything easy to remember and picture when tested.

BUT!!!! I still suggest gap year.

Thank you. I'll really think hard about it, but I need to make my decision soon. Normally I wouldn't mind a gap year but I'm already 26 years old, and my clock is ticking down lol.

If I decide to take the MCAT this year I'll start studying really soon

Oops! I was thinking you were a youngin talking to me.
*checks for @BluMist
*notes last time online
*posts this:

aaweosoldlady.jpg~c200

I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August or September of this year; however, I'll be taking biochem and physics 2 over a condensed summer semester, which will obviously be somewhat rough. Add MCAT studying on top of that, and I'll pretty much be studying all summer...

Does this look doable though? I figure taking physics 2 and biochem will be "kinda" like studying for the MCAT anyway, since those materials are obviously on the MCAT. Plus, those subjects should be fresh on my mind by the time the summer semester ends.

What do you guys think?

It depends. If you have no other obligations (work/family) and know you have the discipline to spend your summer studying instead of partying, etc. And if you are solid in your sciences (e.g. you're wrapping up a B.S. in bio and gen chem was easy for you). And if you are an excellent standardized test taker, confirmed by doing a VR section on one of the old MCATs and getting a 12+, then yes, you can do it!

But I ask why? August is too late for this cycle. You'll make the deadlines, but you're going to be a very late applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends. If you have no other obligations (work/family) and know you have the discipline to spend your summer studying instead of partying, etc. And if you are solid in your sciences (e.g. you're wrapping up a B.S. in bio and gen chem was easy for you). And if you are an excellent standardized test taker, confirmed by doing a VR section on one of the old MCATs and getting a 12+, then yes, you can do it!

But I ask why? August is too late for this cycle. You'll make the deadlines, but you're going to be a very late applicant.

Well I feel like I'd still be competitive... I have a 4.0 and some pretty good ECs (i.e 5 years in the Air Force)

I still might wait another year like you guys are saying

some pretty good ECs (i.e 5 years in the Air Force)
While very admirable, /salute, I don't think that is generally considered extra curricular or volunteering.

It is absolutely necessary to include it on your app but, depending on what you did, you have to put in right section. Other veterans can chime in here and I could possibly be wrong.

Well I feel like I'd still be competitive... I have a 4.0 and some pretty good ECs (i.e 5 years in the Air Force)

I still might wait another year like you guys are saying

No matter how competitive you are, applying late puts you at a disadvantage. Maybe you'll still get in somewhere if you are competitive enough, but you'll get into fewer and less competitive schools than you would have with the same stats and an early application.

Reactions: 1 user