Taking biochem before applying(will take it before graduation)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am currently a junior and have not taken biochem yet. Several schools I'm looking at applying to list it as required or at the least recommended. I was planning on taking it senior year, but was wondering if it will count against me if I haven't taken it before applying? As a side note, I have already taken the MCAT and scored well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

*I wasn't 100% sure where to post this so if by any chance I posted this in the wrong forum mods feel free to move it.

Members don't see this ad.

Vast majority of schools just require it before you matriculate, so for the most part you should be fine.

However there are a handful of schools that have different requirements - like requiring pre-reqs to be completed by the January prior to matriculation. AKA if you'll be matriculating in 2018 you need to take your pre-reqs before Jan 2018. Read school websites to see if they have a policy like that. Most websites have a good FAQ section. Or you can call the admissions office if it's unclear or not listed.

Reactions: 1 users
Vast majority of schools just require it before you matriculate, so for the most part you should be fine.

However there are a handful of schools that have different requirements - like requiring pre-reqs to be completed by the January prior to matriculation. AKA if you'll be matriculating in 2018 you need to take your pre-reqs before Jan 2018. Read school websites to see if they have a policy like that. Most websites have a good FAQ section. Or you can call the admissions office if it's unclear or not listed.

Thank you for your response! Every schools' website I checked just says they require it before matriculation. On a related note, would not having it before applying hurt my chances of admissions at said schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! Every schools' website I checked just says they require it before matriculation. On a related note, would not having it before applying hurt my chances of admissions at said schools?

No

1) Biochem made be needed/recommended before MCAT
2) @Ismet I am finding that schools are using the Jan prereq date as completed or in progress.

Thank you for your response! For point 1, I already took the MCAT and am happy with my score, so I should be good there. Also, I'm planning to take biochem fall of senior year, so I should meet the January deadline at the schools that use it. My main concern at this point is just whether or not waiting till senior year to take it would negatively impact my admissions chances at said schools (which it seems is a no?).

Just one caveat as there are a very few schools that require all prereqs completed before applying but you need to check that on a school by school basis

I just double checked on one of the schools that had the January requirement back when I was applying (Penn State) and now they changed it to "strongly encouraged" to complete all pre-reqs before applying.

I just double checked on one of the schools that had the January requirement back when I was applying (Penn State) and now they changed it to "strongly encouraged" to complete all pre-reqs before applying.

Thank you for your response! So I briefly checked the websites of the schools in question and here is what I found:

Mayo (by June 15 of planned matriculation year)
CWRU(before matriculation)
Dartmouth (didn't find anything)
Einstein (didn't find anything)
Vermont (by June 1st of matriculation year)
Boston U (before matriculation)

Cornell has made it Jan 31st by matriculation year

That's good to know! I am still undecided about applying to Cornell, but I'll leave that one for the WAMC forum. Most of the other schools currently on my list (Emory, USC, Pitt, Rochester, Wake Forest, UTHSC, ETSU) don't list it as a required course. Columbia P&S is before enrollment.