taking chem and math in same semester....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUS4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iam not strong in math at all , but i need it to get into physics 1 and II. I work ~ 40-44 hours a week while trying to finish my bachelor's degree. Met with my advisor this am and recommended hiring a tutor. I could put the math off one more semester , but that will put me behind a semester or two and iam not getting any younger (37) . Should i suck it up? or just take the chem with two soft classes? Any Advice! (By the way its chem 2,already had org 1and2)

Members don't see this ad.

does your school offer free tutoring sessions? since you already took organic, chem II shouldn't be so bad. There's about 3 or 4 underlying principles in chem II. I say Chem + Math is very do-able.

I agree with Isoprop, although I'll add that I'm doing gen chem 2 and calculus in the same semester myself, and I honestly would not recommend mixing gen chem 2 in specific with a math class simply because they're both math classes as far as I'm concerned. Taking a semester of nothing but math classes is a good way to lose your sanity.

Although you want to apply to medical school, so you may not have to worry about losing that anyway. :p just keep in mind that chem II is more math than chem...a lot more.

Members don't see this ad :)
just to facilitate the undergrad process...would anyone recommend taking a "third'"class on top of the chem2 and math? definitly a "soft"class?

Okay- why do you need to take math for physics? Are you planning on taking calculus based physics? Or when you say you are weak in math do you mean that you have trouble with algebra? If so, then gen chem should be giving you a problem.

My recommendation is for you to do whatever you feel that you can handle well and get the As. Consider placing out of math courses if possible-- study to take the test. Pre-calc and geometry etc. are totally irrelevant for medical school. Calculus is also irrelevant. I would check to see which schools currently require calculus and whether you need to be concerned about math at all.

this math is a pre-req for alg-based physics at my university. So yes the answer to your question, it is a college alg class. I get the feel from your post that I should back off from the math and give more focus towards the chemistry and take the math another semester with some soft classes!

Reactions: 1 user
just my 2 cents. if you can take them separately (first math, then chem2) i would do so. it's not that one is really required for the other, it's that chem2 is quite a bit harder than chem1, at least in my experience (and heavily depends on facility with basic algebra). acid-base stuff takes a while to master and working 40-44 at the same time will put you down for the dirt-nap gradewise, i'd think. again, just my 2c.

General Chemistry and General Physics can both be mastered with a strong background in college algebra. Calculus-based physics is still heavily grounded in algebra which is why many students can take Calculus I and calculus-based General Physics I in the same semester. Make no mistake, you need to be able to use your math as a tool. If this is not you, then don't sacrifice your grades in science because your math is not up to par. Get your math strong and then take your science coursework. You have one shot at doing extremely well in your pre-med coursework. If you don't make it, you wind up doing "damage-control" which is not a great position to find yourself in. Make sure you have a good foundation upon which to build your knowledge base so that you can both do well in your coursework and do well on the MCAT. If you are struggling with math and trying to perform well in your courses, then you have just set yourself up for a mediocre performance in both. Take your time and do well.

thank you for your very candid advice NJbmd. I have some of your previous post's hanging from my bookcase ,which I use for motivation and inspiration.