Taking College Algebra without Algebra 2?

Slothful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, this is my first post so please go easy. I've read that before posting I should search for answers in other threads, but after searching I still can't find an answer that would apply to my situation. Here's the rundown.

I'm currently a senior in High School starting at a CC this fall, and I received a score on the MCAT that made me eligible for College Algebra without having to take Intermediate Algebra. I was confused because I have never taken Algebra 2 before. I was very immature with my work ethic in 9th and 10th grade and suffered greatly because of it, missing 3 classes in a row of math then getting confused on the exam and ultimately failing. After retaking algebra in 10th grade and passing geometry during the 11th, I'm now in Math for College readiness and understand everything we have gone over but I am worried that if I do actually decide to start in college with College Algebra I'll be left behind once again with no idea what half of the stuff means. I heard that you need to pass physics as one of the requirements for Med school, would I have enough time if I started with Intermediate Math first?

TLDR; Received scores that allowed me to take a higher level math without the experience of the courses before that, should I go to the higher level math or the lower one to make sure I know the material.

Edit: The test I scored well on was the PERT. Too much SDN, too little sleep.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I received a score on the MCAT that made me eligible for College Algebra

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't mean to say MCAT.

TLDR; Received scores that allowed me to take a higher level math without the experience of the courses before that, should I go to the higher level math or the lower one to make sure I know the material.

Honestly, the decision is up to you. You know your strengths and weaknesses better than any of us—strangers on the Internet—do. If you are confident in your math abilities, then opt for the college-level algebra. If your gut is still making you feel anxious and doubtful, then take the preliminary algebra courses.

Reactions: 1 user