Taking comlex and step 1 later on... but it will be p/f

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mindyaown

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone had a quick question. I am a OMS-2 and am beginning my board prep. I have been debating on whether to also take USMLE Step 1 but right now I see myself in primary care (FM). I am not 100% set on this though and am worried I will find interest in another field once I get out on rotations. I know a couple of fourth year students that ended up taking Step later on once they knew they wanted to do something more competitive. However, would that even be an option for me? I am apart of the last class to take the scored version. Would a simple pass down the line open up the same doors as a decent graded step score now?

I also ask because I am a little worried about how I will do. I have done decent in my courses up to my point; my first semester I got Cs (wasn't used to the rigor) / second/third semester have been around mid-low 80s. I am also not doing great on board questions right now (40-55% correct). Regardless if I don't see improvement by march I was thinking I probably shouldn't schedule it. [Would take in June].

Any advice is welcome whether it be about my first question / board prep pointers.

Members don't see this ad.

No reason to not take it right now.

Even if you decide you just want FM, having a decent step score will still help. Only thing you lose is a day taking the exam.

This is what I would do:
1) Study for the step as if it’s your primary exam. Don’t use any of the comlex specific qbanks.
2) Ignore class material and focus on board prep. Just make sure you pass.

Reactions: 1 users

Even if you decide you just want FM, having a decent step score will still help. Only thing you lose is a day taking the exam.

This is what I would do:
1) Study for the step as if it’s your primary exam. Don’t use any of the comlex specific qbanks.
Wow!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see Step 2 p/f coming down the pike.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
This is what I would do:

In a soon to be world of Pass Fail STEP1 I think that shooting yourself in the foot is probably an unwise recommendation for students who do not have pass fail grading at their schools, and perhaps you were referring to pass/fail schools or ones who may be reporting class rank behind the scenes. For students with letter grading at your school, I don't think it would be particularly prudent to scrape by with Cs just because you technically passed in a world where there is still some uncertainty on how PDs are actually going to respond to the changes.

This is what I would do:
I'd say it's also important to pass your classes. Not sure how you do that by ignoring class material.

I'd say it's also important to pass your classes. Not sure how you do that by ignoring class material.

Plenty of us do it. We just focus on board resources, maybe cram the lecture slides a few days leading up to an exam, and that's it.