BOTH Taking COMLEX only with Uworld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking both USMLE and COMLEX. Since I'm pressured on time, I don't think I can get through multiple Qbanks. Do you think Uworld is enough to do well on COMLEX or do I need to use COMBANK as well?

Members don't see this ad.

COMBANK sucks, don't use it. If you want a 2nd full length Qbank then go with COMQUEST.

Otherwise, I'd recommend sticking to intense review of UWorld and supplementing with either OMG OMT or Savarese depending on your learning style/OMM proficiency. If you are rock solid on OMM, Savarese is probably fine. If you need a more thorough recap with practice questions, a practice exam, and better explanations/more pointed high yield review, I'd say go with OMG OMT. Personally, I used UWorld + OMG and did very well compared to the people in my class who did COMBANK + Savarese, but to each their own

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be taking both USMLE and COMLEX. Since I'm pressured on time, I don't think I can get through multiple Qbanks. Do you think Uworld is enough to do well on COMLEX or do I need to use COMBANK as well?
Yes its enough, Id do a couple of combank blocks to get used to the different format though, and the OMM questions. I used UWorld, first aid, pathoma, BRS physio and RR goljan with savarese for OMM and did very well on USMLE and COMLEX.

Reactions: 1 users
I studied predominantly with UW. I only used COMBANK in the 3 days after Step 1 for the OMM and micro questions. COMLEX asks things in strange ways that COMBANK will replicate. Our school bought COMBANK for us though, so I can't say that I would have bought it myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I''ll echo what's been said above... UWorld is excellent and OMGOMT has lots of practice questions built in to their review, so if you don't have the time/money to purchase a dedicated Osteopathic Q-bank, then OMGOMT is a great choice. I used it and thought it was superior to Savarese.

I have to say, COMBANK questions are so easy that it may instill false confidence. Be warned.

Last edited by a moderator:
COMBANK sucks, don't use it. If you want a 2nd full length Qbank then go with COMQUEST.

Otherwise, I'd recommend sticking to intense review of UWorld and supplementing with either OMG OMT or Savarese depending on your learning style/OMM proficiency. If you are rock solid on OMM, Savarese is probably fine. If you need a more thorough recap with practice questions, a practice exam, and better explanations/more pointed high yield review, I'd say go with OMG OMT. Personally, I used UWorld + OMG and did very well compared to the people in my class who did COMBANK + Savarese, but to each their own
Comquest also isn't that good

I''ll echo what's been said above... UWorld is excellent and OMGOMT has lots of practice questions built in to their review, so if you don't have the time/money to purchase a dedicated Osteopathic Q-bank, then OMGOMT is a great choice. I used it and thought it was superior to Savarese.

I have to say, COMBANK questions are so easy that it may instill false confidence. Be warned.
Is OMG OMT the pathoma of OMM? I have saverese but i dread reading out a book. Im trying to get the confidence to ditch saverese for those 3-4 days after my step. I want to buy the subscription but havent found much people talking about it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Is OMG OMT the pathoma of OMM? I have saverese but i dread reading out a book. Im trying to get the confidence to ditch saverese for those 3-4 days after my step. I want to buy the subscription but havent found much people talking about it!

Yes, it is of a similar style to Pathoma - that is a great comparison. It's a newer resource which is why I suppose it's still not as widely known as 'Sav. Now let me be clear, I hated Savarese when I used it for Level I and vowed to find something better for Level II, so this response will be obviously biased. That's when I found OMG OMT (which at the time had recently launched). I'm going to give OMG OMT a nice plug here because it helped me immensely and when I was on the interview trail, PDs were asking me why my Level II was so much higher than my Level I; I credit much of that to jumping from Savarese to OMG OMT. I am sure I got some interviews that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten because of this improvement.

So, OMG OMT does a Pathoma-style setup of chapters. Each chapter (topic, for example "Cranial") is broken into 3 components: didactic video, clinical video, and post-lesson quiz. The didactic video is usually a 15ish minute lecture explaining everything, the clinical video is usually a 5-10ish minute video on how to setup the treatments that get tested on COMLEX (LOVED this part -- I always struggled with the 'how would you initially position the patient in this example?' type questions), and a post-lesson quiz of 5-10 questions which summarize the high yield concepts from that chapter. iirc there are 13-15 chapters. It does remind me of Sattar because the narrator stops a lot and gives you the high yield "this is how examiners go after this" which I appreciated because in Savarese I was always confused and the pages offered little explanation and its damn near impossible to google an OMM topic for clarification. Honestly, I think textbooks for COMLEX/USMLE will soon be extinct. OMG OMT, Pathoma, Sketchy, they do it right.

Lastly, OMG also has a mock COMLEX exam which tests all topics (OMM, micro, renal, etc.) and its composition is supposed to mimic the real thing (ie, 20% OMM questions, 12ish% micro, etc). I liked the exam because I took it 3 times and it comes with full question explanations, unlike the other practice exams on the market which weren't telling me what I did wrong but simply giving me a score. The practice exam comes with the subscription so I also didn't have to pay extra :D Figured it was a nice freebie in addition to the NBMEs and stuff I had planned to use.

tldr: its really a matter of time before video review makes textbooks obsolete. OMG OMT is excellent and I highly recommend it. If you prefer videos to reading, you'll like OMG OMT better than Savarese. But if you are already a master of OMM I'm sure Savarese will continue to be fine for you. It's personal preference really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did UWorld for questions, COMBANK for hallucinated concepts on cranial and make believe Chapman points. Did very well.