Taking DAT before having taken ochem classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usernametaken

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a crazy idea? I am a nontraditional (turn 27 this fall, have a psych bachelors degree) student who is just starting my dental prereqs this fall. My class load will be halftime and would run: fall, winter, summer, fall. I was thinking since I am halftime I might be able to devote that free time to learning ochem on my own. I would really like to apply for the 2009 cycle, and not have to wait another year.

I understand the earlier you apply to dental school, the better your chances are of being accepted, and I would need those DAT scores for my application. I guess I could maybe take the DAT towards the end of summer, after having had most of ochem I. Or maybe I could study really hard and take it that fall (while taking ochem II and biochem), and apply pretty late, hoping that I rock the DAT..

Any advice? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

IMO i think it would be brutal to take the DAT w/out taking any orgo classes and trying to learn them on your own. Plus most of the DAT is orgo II from my experience other than sn1/sn2 e1/e2 reactions.

I think it really depends on the person, I have a brother who is currently and eye doctor that took the OAT without and Ochem and he did just fine. He and a buddy were just trying to take the OAT the year before they applied to see what they needed to study(stupid idea but it worked for them). They both did really good because they are dang smart, they applied and got in the same year and skipped graduation.

So I guess if your a freaking genius than go for it. I personally would have sucked at it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will try to bust my butt starting now and see where I'm sitting at the end of spring/early summer in terms of feeling ready for taking the DAT.

One more question -

When would you recommend getting your application in for the 2009 cycle? By September, or maybe the end of summer? I know people do apply late and get in.. I'd like to just maximize my chances.

Is this a crazy idea? I am a nontraditional (turn 27 this fall, have a psych bachelors degree) student who is just starting my dental prereqs this fall. My class load will be halftime and would run: fall, winter, summer, fall. I was thinking since I am halftime I might be able to devote that free time to learning ochem on my own. I would really like to apply for the 2009 cycle, and not have to wait another year.

I understand the earlier you apply to dental school, the better your chances are of being accepted, and I would need those DAT scores for my application. I guess I could maybe take the DAT towards the end of summer, after having had most of ochem I. Or maybe I could study really hard and take it that fall (while taking ochem II and biochem), and apply pretty late, hoping that I rock the DAT..

Any advice? :confused:

Hey I took the DAT yesterday with only OCHEM I under my belt. I'm signed up for OCHEM II for the fall. I think it definitely hurt me not having OCHEM II (I got a 17 on the OCHEM section). Just my $.02. I can always redo it next year tho after I have OCHEM II done.. that would make things a lot easier.

it is totally okay. I took DAT two weeks ago without taking OCHEM and got perfect on OCHEM (got 29). The orgo stuff on DAT is not difficult. I think you can do it!! GOOD LUCK

it is totally okay. I took DAT two weeks ago without taking OCHEM and got perfect on OCHEM (got 29). The orgo stuff on DAT is not difficult. I think you can do it!! GOOD LUCK

What the crap?

If I were you I wouldn't wait to take the DAT and apply late. From everything I've read, getting your app. in early (May to June) is very beneficial. Remember it takes a month or two to process once you submit. I don't think you need to wait for OChemII to take the DAT but I wouldn't recommend preparing for the DAT while taking any classes. I'm a non-trad. student as well; I took the DAT >4 years after I graduated (and >6 years since taking OChem). I took a Kaplan DAT course over the summer (~$1200) and studied like crazy. The info. that Kaplan gives you will teach you the concepts you need w/o having to take the course and grind through all the detail. I had forgoten pretty much all of my OChem by that time, but relearned what I needed from their materials and scored a 23 on that section. The traditional OChem course goes way beyond what the DAT will test you on. Key is not to bog yourself down with classes while studying for the DAT.
P.S.- I'm not promoting Kaplan for any self-serving reason.