Taking DAT in the middle of Organic Chem 2 semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcunnin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the DAT in the semester they are finishing the second half of Organic Chem? I am scheduling classes, and just trying to plan it all out. Plan on taking the DAT around early-mid March next year, but I will be about a month short of completing Orgo 2. Is this a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the second part of organic and waiting until the middle/end of June to take mine. Why not just wait until the end of May or beginning of June? Unless you're taking a light load of classes I don't see how you're going to find time to study.

Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
You can use the summer/winter breaks prior to next March to fortify the other five subjects
You only need one semester of Orgo to really know everything that's on the DAT....Study materials can help you focus on what you need to know

Cons:
You're taking the DAT while taking other class(es)....That could detract from your final studying pushes....
What if you have midterms in your other classes and they compete with the DAT for your precious time?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took the DAT before Ochem2, learned all the reactions from Chads videos/handouts and surprisingly that was my highest section on the DAT (23)

i cannot emphasize enough the importance of knowing EVERY reaction on chads handout. I knew id be at a disadvantage because i hadnt taken both semesters before the DAT so i studied it as hard as i could!

good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. My plan was to take Orgo 1 this summer and then Orgo 2 in the fall, but due to several things that came up..I may not be able to take classes over the summer. This pushes me back a bit, and I won't have all of my prereqs finished. So my goal is to still apply next year, but I'll be in the middle of the Orgo 2 semester when I plan on taking the DAT. I will only be taking the chemistry lecture and lab that semester. Ideally my plan was to continue a full course load from here on out, but it's just not going to happen. So by the time I apply, I wont have any Physics or Biochemistry completed yet. I purposely have those at the end since they aren't on the DAT. Or do you guys think I should just wait until 2017 to apply? Hate to push it back another year, but I'll do what I have to do.