Taking Gen Chem Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheHuggingDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I looked around the forum to find information about my question, but I didn't see anything closely resembling my case. I apologize if this is a repeat...

I graduated undergrad in 2009 with a BS in bio. I took most of the prereqs for med school, but skipped Gen chem and went straight to organic. I received retro credit for a general chemistry class, but no grade. The only chemistry courses I've taken is 2 semesters of OChem and 1 semester of BioChem. Since I'm a postbacc, nontraditional type, should I go back to take Gen Chem? I want to take classes at my state school, and viewing their previous course schedule seems to dictate that they don't offer the upper level chemistry courses (analytical, quantitative, physical) in the semesters that I would need to take them. I imagine schools would be concerned about my not taking upper level classes, but I don't have many options.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

PS -- I didn't have a premed advisor during my time at school and I didn't decide to apply until after I graduated.

Members don't see this ad.

I bet if you have the credit listed on your transcript (such as what happens for AP), you will be fine.

If they do accept Gen Chem as it is on my transcript, that's only one class, or four semester hours. I believe most schools require 8 hours or 2 semesters. That leaves me with 4 more hours to complete... so I would still have to take at least one more gen chem class, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
If they do accept Gen Chem as it is on my transcript, that's only one class, or four semester hours. I believe most schools require 8 hours or 2 semesters. That leaves me with 4 more hours to complete... so I would still have to take at least one more gen chem class, right?[/QUOTE

Yes, you have to have 8 credits of chem with lab. Did your prior credit include a lab portion? Might just want both parts with lab so you don't jeopardize your application.

That's what I was thinking -- just take Gen Chem 1 and 2 with lab to cover the bases (or a higher level course if available). I just might have to risk that adcoms don't like my decision to go back and take the intro classes.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: