Taking grad classes as an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danzgymn86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opinions? Is this something that would improve one's CV?
Did anyone here do it?
Outside of a couple classes that I have to take my senior year (4 classes) that means I have 6 classes just to take for the sake of taking classes (for credits.) So I am at the point of "taking classes just to take classes." Since I am at that point, my TA suggested that I take a grad class. She said people *do* get permissioned into them. I know people who have had a hard time getting permission numbers, but if I can, is it worth a try?
I mean, I can go back and take all 100 level freshman classes just for the credits if I wanted. But I'm not and I am hoping that that will look good. ...

Members don't see this ad.

Take classes that seem interesting to you (and aren't obviously slacker classes like the 100-level freshmen classes). Take classes in other subjects, extra psych classes, or the grad level classes...whatever seems most interesting and fun. I dont think the grad level classes will play much of a role in your grad school admission. Of course, it will look good to see, but I doubt it will play much a role as compared to everything else like match/GRE/GPA/etc. The grad classes will prob help you in other ways, but don't do it just to look good on the app because that reason alone won't be worth it.

If you have the motivation anything is possible. Professors are more than willing to help out an eager student; be persistent and they will eventually give in. A research methodology course would definitely be the most beneficial to take as it gives you a good idea of what most programs expect. From what I've heard, it looks great on your resume and the credit could possibly transfer if you do decide to go on to grad school. Since the transition from undergrad to grad school is so big, admissions committees would be more confident in accepting a student once they know he/she can handle the course load. At least that's what my adviser told me.