Taking Human Anatomy at CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheYellowOne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking Human Anatomy over the summer at a community college. Would this have an effect on my application? This is pretty much my only class that I'm only taking in a Community college. Also I will be taking Organic Chemistry I at my University during the summer as well. Would this affect my application on how it is reviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. I've been hearing really mixed things about CC classes and summer classes and I think that it's down to a personal decision more than what is best or not. What you can do though is call your prospective pharm school and just ask what they think about summer and CC classes. I am actually considering switching from a 4 year school to a CC. So I really might be biased here but I think it's not as important as some think it is. I'm thinking that a school is probably going to be looking at a group of things rather than just one type of thing. Like they will look at not only grades and stuff but also your determination, attitude and personality. Because of that I really don't think CC classes are as bad as some make them sound. And summer classes can be just fine as long as they cover all the material necessary. Meaning not taking any shortcuts. Again, give the school a call and just ask to be sure. :D

Tell you the truth, I'm not sure what Pharmacy school I am interested in going yet. I just want to get all the pre-req courses done. I know what most pharmacy schools are looking for like two semester of biology, biochemistry, two semesters of gen chem, 2 semester of organic chem, micbio, microecon, calculus, and some require physics. But I'm not sure yet what school I want to go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on taking Human Anatomy over the summer at a community college. Would this have an effect on my application? This is pretty much my only class that I'm only taking in a Community college. Also I will be taking Organic Chemistry I at my University during the summer as well. Would this affect my application on how it is reviewed?

Are you going to be okay taking both of those classes at the same time over the summer? I've always had the impression that summer courses were more time consuming than those taken during the normal semester. As for the schools reviewing your app, it shouldn't be an issue, as long as you don't fail it. Also, make sure that the course will be accepted as a pre-req for the schools that you wish to apply to. Good luck!

I took the A&P I and II from a CC. Only Oregan State University don't take the CC A&P classes. No problem for other schools.

I'm taking Organic Chem I during session 1 and Human Anatomy over in Session II..so it should be fine for me since I'm concentrating on one class at a time over the summer.

I never knew this was even a concern for some people. I took ALL of my pre-reqs at my local community college. Didn't seem to matter one bit, I was accepted to both schools I applied to and with everything they asked me through the process, the fact that I attended a CC never even came up. A number of my classes were summer ones too. I took classes continually for 3 years (worked full time). I have 5 or 6 classes taken during the summer.

yeah I don't think its a huge deal either. My friend was accepted with 4 years community college (but it has a pretty good reputation) and no bachelors. He had a good pcat score and a little pharm experience though. The main reason I think the community college doesn't matter is because they said he was a top ten best applicant and got a free scholarship. It really depends though. If you are applying out of state they may not like a community college from another state because they won't know if its a good school or not. A community college may not hurt you as much as people think but you probably are a little better off with taking pre reqs at a University.

I never knew this was even a concern for some people. I took ALL of my pre-reqs at my local community college. Didn't seem to matter one bit, I was accepted to both schools I applied to and with everything they asked me through the process, the fact that I attended a CC never even came up. A number of my classes were summer ones too. I took classes continually for 3 years (worked full time). I have 5 or 6 classes taken during the summer.

Really it doesnt matter where you take your course work. I took all of my classes at a community college, and I was accepted into a pharmacy school. It does not matter where you take the class.

it doesnt really matter unless you are applying to oregon state. also just make sure that you get good grades both at the CC and the 4 year university - make sure you maintain the good-grade trend, thats all :)

I dont think it really matters if you go to a CC or university because they are the same classes. But what will truly show if you understood the material is the pcat and no school and argue with your score on that.

It shouldn't matter. I did all my pre-reqs at CC. Just make sure you study and understand the material, you'll be fine. Just make the they transfer to your pharmacy school.

Two things:

1. Community colleges rock!

2. Be careful taking major science courses during the summer, especially Organic. Some schools won't accept sciences that are taken during the summer. Check with the schools you plan on applying to to see if it matters.