Taking in Sept; Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

canadianeggroll

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Capture.JPG


These are the results of my first PCAT practice exam. I've never taken this test before, and I'm scheduled to take it Friday, September 5. I'm really nervous after seeing this, and I know I have to work on my chemistry and biology... Any suggestions?
 
For most people...PCAT is not really a test you want to "cram for" but since you're in this predicament, I would focus on bio/chem almost exclusively. Those 2 sections are weighed the most towards your overall composite score, and thus the most important. Bio is a bit easier to prep for than chemistry, just the more you memorize before the test, the better. Chemistry focus on the nomenclature, basic Ochem 1 synthesis (Sn1, Sn2, elimination, hydrolysis) etc as well as the biochemistry sections (how kreb cycle works, what enzymes are involved, gluconeogenesis, etc). also lots of questions on gas laws and basic general chemistry. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, I heard Kaplan practice test is not a good represnation to the real PCAT. Don't freak out. I would use Dr. Collin's to study and take Pearson practice exams for the realistic scores.

A week and a half still a long time if you can concentrate.

don't allow for Kaplan to let you down.
 
Wrong

The composite score is an average of the scaled scores received in each sub test. No one test has more weight than another.
Not really lol I took the pearson exam and I scored 37/40 on bio and chem and 35/40 on quantat but got a 22/40 on verbal. But since I know english is BS I put all C on the reading compren got a 13/40 and percentile was estimated 88-98
 
There is no logic in you explanation. Simply read the information posted on pcatweb.info and the test makers will tell you how the test is scored. There is a scaled score per section and a composite (ave) score for the exam. The composite score is found by simply adding up all sub test scaled scores and dividing by 5.

The practice test you are using unfortunately does not give you a sample scaled score, and there is no information on how to convert from a raw score to a scaled so your interpretation is essentially meaningless. Not to say that the estimated percentile zone is not a good indicator for where you will fall, just that they have not made you aware on how the test is constructed.
You may be right, I just read many saying to focus on chem, bio and quant and when I did the pearson online exam it showed that english basicly did nothing so went with that theory lol but it may just be inaccurate.