Taking MCAT after a sudden interview invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueScar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone I know has planned to retake the MCAT in just over a week. She just received her first interview invite this evening from a Texas school. She's a texan.

Should she defer the retake to a later date?( in the case she does get accepted, she can cancel the MCAT)

Or...

Should she take the MCAT in January anyway and hope for a higher score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We need more info than this. With this alone I'd say she should postpone the MCAT

well the thing is that acceptance might not come till april. So i say she should move it to april, this way she will still have results early enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
We need more info than this. With this alone I'd say she should postpone the MCAT
So her first MCAT was a bit under 500. I am not sure how she has been doing on her FLs.

If she already got the II, would the adcom not have already considered the MCAT and found that adequate to get to II?

Reactions: 1 user
Someone I know has planned to retake the MCAT in just over a week. She just received her first interview invite this evening from a Texas school. She's a texan.

Should she defer the retake to a later date?( in the case she does get accepted, she can cancel the MCAT)

Or...

Should she take the MCAT in January anyway and hope for a higher score?
If she indicated on her TMDSAS application that she planned a retake, the school may be expecting to see that new score soon.

However, planning to retake it but then rescheduling would not be dishonest, and is a fact of life this year.
Most of the TX schools have said that the Sept 2020 MCAT is the last date that will be considered for this application cycle. I only recall seeing that SHSU will accept a January 2021 MCAT score.

If she is feeling great about her practice tests, take it now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If she indicated on her TMDSAS application that she planned a retake, the school may be expecting to see that new score soon.

However, planning to retake it but then rescheduling would not be dishonest, and is a fact of life this year.
Most of the TX schools have said that the Sept 2020 MCAT is the last date that will be considered for this application cycle. I only recall seeing that SHSU will accept a January 2021 MCAT score.

Hi, thanks for the reply! Nothing on her app indicates she will retake it. However, since she did register for an MCAT, would this information have already been sent to the school? Or is the only information provided the score report?

Hi, thanks for the reply! Nothing on her app indicates she will retake it. However, since she did register for an MCAT, would this information have already been sent to the school? Or is the only information provided the score report?
Nope, the only information AAMC provides is scores once they are available. That's why you have to tell schools on your app if you are going to retake and want them to wait for the score.

My advice would be that if your friend is ready to take the test, she should go ahead and take it after putting in all the work to prepare. It's cheap insurance against not having any As before the cycle is over. Receiving an II is great, but, it is only one, it is already January, and her current score is under 500, so getting an A by the end of the cycle (or by May, when, realistically, she'd probably want to take the test for the next cycle) is far from a lock right now. I'd take the test and be absolutely thrilled if it turned out I didn't need it rather than putting it on pause now and then having to gear up to take it in the spring, again, assuming she is ready.

If she already got the II, would the adcom not have already considered the MCAT and found that adequate to get to II?
Sure, but, she still has to deal with the staircase analogy. Would you be comfortable enough to push back your planned retake if you had one II, zero As, and a sub 500 MCAT in January? I wouldn't, especially if I spent months preparing for it.

Thank you all. She's going to go ahead and take it.

She will get her score a month before the match results. Does she need to update the school right when she receives the new score, or can she wait until after the match?

She will get her score a month before the match results. Does she need to update the school right when she receives the new score, or can she wait until after the match?
I believe tmdsas automatically will update the schools as long as she updates tmdsas