taking mcat in a month, am i making good progress?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorade848

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
already finished with general material review now doing practice exams and concentrating on weak areas. first I took kaplan 1,2 and got 28, 32. then I took AAMC 3-5 and got 31s consistently.

However, when I check what I missed on AAMC vast majority of the mistakes were simply ??? careless calculation/misread mistakes. By practicing more and more I should be able to cut those down and get 33+ or 35+...

Today just switched to kaplan and took kaplan 4, definitely didnt do well missed like 14 questions per section, but due to their generous curve I till managed to get a 30... should I just stick with AAMC for full length practice? How do I cut down those silly mistakes?

Members don't see this ad.

already finished with general material review now doing practice exams and concentrating on weak areas. first I took kaplan 1,2 and got 28, 32. then I took AAMC 3-5 and got 31s consistently.

However, when I check what I missed on AAMC vast majority of the mistakes were simply ??? careless calculation/misread mistakes. By practicing more and more I should be able to cut those down and get 33+ or 35+...

Today just switched to kaplan and took kaplan 4, definitely didnt do well missed like 14 questions per section, but due to their generous curve I till managed to get a 30... should I just stick with AAMC for full length practice? How do I cut down those silly mistakes?

i wouldn't look at kaplan scores for indication of how I'm doing. Those scores tend to be inflated (from what I've seen on SDN) however consistent 31s is a good sign, but I'm sure you can do even better from that score by eliminating careless mistakes and brushing up on topics that you keep missing on in questions

good luck mang:thumbup:

i wouldn't look at kaplan scores for indication of how I'm doing. Those scores tend to be inflated (from what I've seen on SDN) however consistent 31s is a good sign, but I'm sure you can do even better from that score by eliminating careless mistakes and brushing up on topics that you keep missing on in questions

good luck mang:thumbup:

sorry to threadjack, but is the kaplan free online diagnostic test inflated??

Here is the idea. Keep doing your practice exams and make notes on the silly mistakes (math error, not reading the question, etc). Eventually you'll have a list of common mistakes. Before every practice exam review your condensed list of common mistakes... "misreading the question", "not using an equation I knew" etc.

If you review your list pre and post test, you will start catching the similar mistakes before they happen. Then just make sure you are in your "A game" state. Make sure you have a good level of intensity/focus, while being relaxed enough to not be nervous.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the idea. Keep doing your practice exams and make notes on the silly mistakes (math error, not reading the question, etc). Eventually you'll have a list of common mistakes. Before every practice exam review your condensed list of common mistakes... "misreading the question", "not using an equation I knew" etc.

If you review your list pre and post test, you will start catching the similar mistakes before they happen. Then just make sure you are in your "A game" state. Make sure you have a good level of intensity/focus, while being relaxed enough to not be nervous.

Good luck.

I do something similar to this. I have a binder divided into each subject (Gen Chem/Physics/Orgo/Bio) and write down every problem that I miss with the answer below it. I frequently go back through and review all the problems as it lets me see not only the stupid mistakes I make, but also the subject matter I need to buff up on.

just took aamc 6 and got 10,9,10... kinda disappointed really. I havent checked all the wrong answers yet but in aamc 4 and 5 it was those careless mistakes that kept me from making 2-3 points higher in each section... so hard to cut those down even when I went over every question and analyzed why i got it right/wrong. However I do feel 6 is harder than 3-5 is that true with everyone else?

just took aamc 6 and got 10,9,10... kinda disappointed really. I havent checked all the wrong answers yet but in aamc 4 and 5 it was those careless mistakes that kept me from making 2-3 points higher in each section... so hard to cut those down even when I went over every question and analyzed why i got it right/wrong. However I do feel 6 is harder than 3-5 is that true with everyone else?

you are correct. I got 34 and 33 for 3 and 4, then I got 27 on 6 i think...it completely killed my confidence and forced me to move my test date to august....god I really hope I get in somewhere this cycle cause I think the MCAT is the only weakness I have as of now..